who should be in the top flight?

madras

I thought about Birmingham, even though they've only been in the top flight for a couple of seasons in my lifetime, I still consider them a big club for some reason.

Bolton to me, along with Wigan, are the epitome of a club that is not top flight material in any shape or form. They'll have to win it before I think about putting them in.

Bolton are nothing like Wigan, they've won the fa cup four times for one thing and crucially as far as thisdiscussion matters they've got the 13th best record in top flight football which is a better record than the likes of Leeds, Blackburn, Forest, West Ham etc. they've also been in and around the premiership for 12 years, unlike wigan.

Guest kingdawson

Norwich competed for the title in '93 tbf. They fell away in the last few weeks but were top for a long time.

Dont you dare question the knowledge of the walking football encyclopedia that is Stevie :rolleyes:

Norwich competed for the title in '93 tbf. They fell away in the last few weeks but were top for a long time.

They were NEVER going to win it though.  They didn't have the players, but it was a gallant effort.  Their last 7 or 8 games were against the top teams and they fucked them up.

The difference is Ipswich really could've won the league on more than one occasion under Robson, they certainly had the players, and besides they were champions in 1961.  92/93 was the closest they ever got Norwich, but I seem to remember they led at christmas 88-90ish, but even then they were getting 15,000 when the ground held 23,000

without being locally prejudicial i dom't understand anyone puttind the mackems in their...FFS  i'm soon to be 40,i'd be surprised if the mackems have spent 10 yrs of that in the top flight.

Ipswich are bigger club than Norwich by any measure. They've seriously competed for the title in the last 25 years,

Norwich have been up there in the last 15 years, and they thrashed Bayern Munich no less in europe.

And with crouds of 25,000 in the championship im sure they could pull in 30,000 in the premiership.

I thought about Birmingham, even though they've only been in the top flight for a couple of seasons in my lifetime, I still consider them a big club for some reason.

Bolton to me, along with Wigan, are the epitome of a club that is not top flight material in any shape or form. They'll have to win it before I think about putting them in.

Bolton are nothing like Wigan, they've won the fa cup four times for one thing and crucially as far as thisdiscussion matters they've got the 13th best record in top flight football which is a better record than the likes of Leeds, Blackburn, Forest, West Ham etc. they've also been in and around the premiership for 12 years, unlike wigan.

All fair points. Part of my criteria for what makes a tinpot nationwide club is the matchday experience and Bolton tick every box in the "circus" category, that's my main reason. No club with cheerleaders should be in the Premiership. I'd make that an official rule btw.

Ipswich are bigger club than Norwich by any measure. They've seriously competed for the title in the last 25 years,

Norwich have been up there in the last 15 years, and they thrashed Bayern Munich no less in europe.

And with crouds of 25,000 in the championship im sure they could pull in 30,000 in the premiership.

ok dhelia,now about my yorkshires,should i line thin tins with fat or oil?

All fair points. Part of my criteria for what makes a tinpot nationwide club is the matchday experience and Bolton tick every box in the "circus" category, that's my main reason. No club with cheerleaders should be in the Premiership. I'd make that an official rule btw.

True, although if they were topless lovelies id be prepared to waive that rule.

:lol: not a bad suggestion.

the one club i totally forgot about was Southampton who had always been in the premiership since i started following football. i think it is cos they've moved to a souless out-of-town identikit stadium, the kind of thing i associate with tinpot clubs in the championship. were they still at the Dell i think i would've more readily placed them as a top flight side.

another anomoly for me is Wolves. as you said about birmingham, even though theyve hardly been in the premiership they still strike me as a big club. wolves are the archetypal big championship club, always up there but never quite good enough to go up. the mackems on the other hand are the stereotypical yo-yo club, up one season, down the next.

I use molten lard tbh. If you use veg oil they'll turn out like fucking pebbles.  ;)

the one club i totally forgot about was Southampton who had always been in the premiership since i started following football. i think it is cos they've moved to a souless out-of-town identikit stadium, the kind of thing i associate with tinpot clubs in the championship. were they still at the Dell i think i would've more readily placed them as a top flight side.

Aye that's why my mate put 'only at the Dell' as a criteria. I had also completely forgotten about them until he read his out, then I had to do a quick edit.

another anomoly for me is Wolves. as you said about birmingham, even though theyve hardly been in the premiership they still strike me as a big club. wolves are the archetypal big championship club, always up there but never quite good enough to go up. the mackems on the other hand are the stereotypical yo-yo club, up one season, down the next.

Never considered Soton, Pompey, Ipswich or Norwich as a 'top-flight' club. Just haven't got the history/ tradition and/or fanbase to warrant it. Unfashionable clubs like Preston put them to shame. The 4 mentioned have all had purple patches but nowt major. imo obviously....

Leeds are a big club, fucked over by some tossers. :(

Should support your local team Dave.

Maybe so. Not the kind of thing one can change though is it.

[/chomp]

No. Although there's times when I've been sorely tempted.

Exactly! Carrow Road > Whatever bike shed ipswich use

I use molten lard tbh. If you use veg oil they'll turn out like f****** pebbles.  ;)

they don't like .........but you're right,lard is best

When I ran my eyes down the Championship table, I thought about putting loads of clubs in ahead of Coventry, despite the fact they were in the first division for fucking ages. Don't think of them as a big club at all these days, deserved to be in the list though.

I use molten lard tbh. If you use veg oil they'll turn out like f****** pebbles.  ;)

they don't like .........but you're right,lard is best

Mine did... :'(

Any clubs who have been champions since 1960 surely deserve to be on that list.

Off the top of me heed

Ipswich

Tottenham

Everton

Man Utd

Liverpool

Arsenal

Leeds

Derby

Man City

Nottingham Forest

Aston Villa

Blackburn Rovers

Chelsea

13 names, and when you scrutinise those names, what a disgrace it is that we're not amongst them.

Preston

Huddersfield

That's two clubs that I wouldn't mind seeing in the Premiership for a change.  Those two and Leeds, Southampton, Forest & Sheffield Wednesday in at the expense of Bolton, Charlton, Wigan, Reading, Fulham & Watford.  Sunderland in for Boro maybe.

nominate who you think should be in the top flight and also your reasons ie "just grew up with these in division 1" or "biggest clubs" or "just recognise these as top flight clubs",only league of 20 allowed.

1 newcastle

2 man utd

3 liverpool

4 arsenal

5 leeds

6 spurs

7 everton

8 man city

9 chelsea

10 aston villa

11 sheff utd

12 west ham

13 QPR

14 stoke

15 boro

16 west brom

17 birmingham

18 coventry

19 southampton

20 notts forest

clubs who've been "top flight" in my mind throughout my life...................wasn't being spiteful missing out the mackems either

Changes I'd make to this are:

Sheff Wed instead of Sheff Utd

Burnley instead of the nappy rippers

Wolves instead of Birmingham

Nottm For instead of Notts For ;)

1   Man Utd

2   Liverpool

3   Newcastle

4   Arsenal

5   Everton

6   Chelsea

7   Leeds

8   Sunderland

9   Manchester City

10 Tottenham

11 West Ham

12 Aston Villa

13 Nottingham Forest

14 Sheffield Wednesday

15 Wolves

16 West Brom

17 Sheffield United

18 Derby

19 Ipswich   20 Southampton

mine is in order but I'm telling you in order of what

Not one I disagree with there.  So thats my choice too.  Still got a video tape my dad gave me of Ipswich beating Arsenal in the FA cup final.

This just brought back memories of collecting those Football stickers back in the early eighties. The silver club badges :lol: