Who in our squad are top 4 potential?

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Players I'd definitely want to keep -

Given, Taylor, Solano, Duff, Milner, Dyer, Shola, Owen.

Players that I'd consider selling, depending on the offer -

Bramble, Carr, Emre, Parker, Butt, Martins, Sibierski

Players I'd like to see replaced -

Babayaro, N'Zogbia, Luque.

(Yes, I know that Bramble and Le Sib are at the end of their contracts, but that group was the best place to put them)

Guest NSMagpie

Top 4 PL quality players- Given, Taylor, Martins, Owen, N' Zogbia, Parker.

Had undeniable quality in the past, but don't show that on the pitch now (or don't show that often enough)- Duff, Emre, Luque Babayaro, Dyer

Under the question mark- Huntington, Edgar, Bramble (although I never rated highly Bramble, he seems to be a less catastrophic option than Onyewu or Moore at the moment)

Undeniable talent and quality but expected to progress further to be Top 4 player- Milner

Had undeniable quality in the past, but don't show that on the pitch now (or don't show that often enough)- Duff, Emre, Luque Babayaro, Dyer

Emre shows more quality than Parker on a regular basis.

Guest NSMagpie

Everyone is entitled to his opinion.

Parker is a runner, hard tackler, fighter with potential to play from one penalty area to another, with sufficient technical ability. He can also be a player with special assignments, for example to stick to opposition's most dangerous midfielder, or play very defensively and help real defenders.

Emre is a totally different story. Player whose most imprtant qualities are dribbling, passing, organizing his team when attacking, shooting. Emre is undeniably enormous talent, but hasn't showed much. Game against Chelsea showed he can't organize Newcastle when confronted with quality opposition and when he's under pressure, IMO.

Everyone is entitled to his opinion.

Parker is a runner, hard tackler, fighter with potential to play from one penalty area to another, with sufficient technical ability. He can also be a player with special assignments, for example to stick to opposition's most dangerous midfielder, or play very defensively and help real defenders.

Emre is a totally different story. Player whose most imprtant qualities are dribbling, passing, organizing his team when attacking, shooting. Emre is undeniably enormous talent, but hasn't showed much. Game against Chelsea showed he can't organize Newcastle when confronted with quality opposition and when he's under pressure, IMO.

I get this sense with Emre that he plays in little bursts. You'll see him charging forward at full speed in a very optimistic attempt to close a defender down and win the ball. Then of course he's knackered and can't get back in position. It's like he's following his heart and not his head. He's a talented player but not the most disciplined.

Top 4 potential: Given, Taylor, duff, Solano(RB), Milner, N'Zogbia, Duff, Parker, Butt, Owen, and Martins.I will say they have the potenial or is up there all ready.

I cant understand why you guys say Emre? What does Emre really got for abilities?  Maybe he would work in a kaka role for us, were he didnt have to do so much defensive work. Defensivly, he is a mess. He is bad at getting in position, he always runs forward in full speed trying to get the ball from the other team, with the other player just taking a step to the right or left and emre is suddenly 10 yards away on the wrong side. I dont think his passing has been great the times I have seen him, his dribbling doesnt seem like doing much good, most of the time i have seen him dribble he has gone backwards or into 3-4 players of the other team. How many goals has he scored this season? Have ppl seen his freekicks? waste of time and money.  And he isnt a good header.

So can someone please tell me, what are his strenghts on the pitch, and why would he suit the top 4?

Top 4 potential: Given, Taylor, duff, Solano(RB), Milner, N'Zogbia, Duff, Parker, Butt, Owen, and Martins.I will say they have the potenial or is up there all ready.

I cant understand why you guys say Emre? What does Emre really got for abilities?  Maybe he would work in a kaka role for us, were he didnt have to do so much defensive work. Defensivly, he is a mess. He is bad at getting in position, he always runs forward in full speed trying to get the ball from the other team, with the other player just taking a step to the right or left and emre is suddenly 10 yards away on the wrong side. I dont think his passing has been great the times I have seen him, his dribbling doesnt seem like doing much good, most of the time i have seen him dribble he has gone backwards or into 3-4 players of the other team. How many goals has he scored this season? Have ppl seen his freekicks? waste of time and money.  And he isnt a good header.

So can someone please tell me, what are his strenghts on the pitch, and why would he suit the top 4?

I agree with you that Emre isn't good enough for where we want to be. While you're wondering what people see in Emre I'm wondering why, since you've spotted that with Emre, you seem unable to spot that Parker is a load of s****.

I cant understand why you guys say Emre? What does Emre really got for abilities?   Maybe he would work in a kaka role for us, were he didnt have to do so much defensive work. Defensivly, he is a mess. He is bad at getting in position, he always runs forward in full speed trying to get the ball from the other team, with the other player just taking a step to the right or left and emre is suddenly 10 yards away on the wrong side. I dont think his passing has been great the times I have seen him, his dribbling doesnt seem like doing much good, most of the time i have seen him dribble he has gone backwards or into 3-4 players of the other team. How many goals has he scored this season? Have ppl seen his freekicks? waste of time and money.  And he isnt a good header.

I agree with you that Emre isn't good enough for where we want to be. While you're wondering what people see in Emre I'm wondering why, since you've spotted that with Emre, you seem unable to spot that Parker is a load of s****.

I think Mr Parker will be back, but he needs time after that illnes he had. And Roeder should put him in special training, so I wouldnt write Parker off just yet.  And maybe run some tactical training on him, because he has the abilities, but he doesnt seem like a smart enough player.  And for god sake, we should only use him as a Def midfield. And he should be our captain, because he doesnt speak enough to the players.

So I think Parker has the potenial to be a top 4 club player, but he isnt there today.  We are desperat for a new manager, someone who can  manage the players, motivate them, and also has great tactical knowledge.

I think Mr Parker will be back, but he needs time after that illnes he had. And Roeder should put him in special training, so I wouldnt write Parker off just yet.  And maybe run some tactical training on him, because he has the abilities, but he doesnt seem like a smart enough player.  And for god sake, we should only use him as a Def midfield. And he should be our captain, because he doesnt speak enough to the players.

So I think Parker has the potenial to be a top 4 club player, but he isnt there today.  We are desperat for a new manager, someone who can  manage the players, motivate them, and also has great tactical knowledge.

And you think emre doesn't need that too?

Ok, your opinion. Mine is that other than 1 good season at Charlton he's never been anywhere decent to come back from.

I cant understand why you guys say Emre? What does Emre really got for abilities?   Maybe he would work in a kaka role for us, were he didnt have to do so much defensive work. Defensivly, he is a mess. He is bad at getting in position, he always runs forward in full speed trying to get the ball from the other team, with the other player just taking a step to the right or left and emre is suddenly 10 yards away on the wrong side. I dont think his passing has been great the times I have seen him, his dribbling doesnt seem like doing much good, most of the time i have seen him dribble he has gone backwards or into 3-4 players of the other team. How many goals has he scored this season? Have ppl seen his freekicks? waste of time and money.  And he isnt a good header.

Ok, your opinion. Mine is that other than 1 good season at Charlton he's never been anywhere decent to come back from.

Yes that is my opinion, and I will stick with it :)

But I was just wodering about your opinion, what is so wrong with parker? He started out good for us under souness imo, but after that illnes he got, he hasnt been the same after. But that is my opinion, dont know if you share that one.

He started out good for us under souness imo

And I even remember HTL describing him as "very good" at the time.  :lol: Somewhere on toontastic I think it was....shame I can't be bothered to go and get the quote.

Yes that is my opinion, and I will stick with it :)

But I was just wodering about your opinion, what is so wrong with parker? He started out good for us under souness imo, but after that illnes he got, he hasnt been the same after. But that is my opinion, dont know if you share that one.

No problem. Where I stand is that Parker has had one good season at Charlton. I don't agree he was good for us under Souness, he's had the odd good game and that's all. Other players have the odd good game, it doesn't mean they're good enough for where we should be aiming.

And I even remember HTL describing him as "very good" at the time.  :lol: Somewhere on toontastic I think it was....shame I can't be bothered to go and get the quote.

You will obviously have just edited it ;)

He hates Parker with more passion then his passion for Newcastle tbh

Guest NSMagpie

I get this sense with Emre that he plays in little bursts. You'll see him charging forward at full speed in a very optimistic attempt to close a defender down and win the ball. Then of course he's knackered and can't get back in position. It's like he's following his heart and not his head. He's a talented player but not the most disciplined.

You're quite right. Sometimes he bursts forward without a real idea what to do, although, to be fair, also often without suport from his midfield colleagues. Emre lacks pace, but his most important setback is that he lacks organizing skills.

Right now, Given, Nobby, Emre, Owen, Dyer, Martins - all could get into a top 4 squad, with Given and Owen being first teamers. Potentially Zog, Milner, Taylor, although improvements are needed in several aspects of their play. Duff at a stretch if he cuts down on his cautious approach and remembers how to attack/gamble more often.

Top 4 ability/potential:

Given (now)

Taylor (maybe)

The Zog (maybe)

Martins (maybe)

Owen (if he comes back as good as he used to be)

Thats pretty much it.

Talk of Dyer, Emre, Oarker etc is f****** laughable.

Dyer and Emre are technical players with good ability on the ball in some form or the other. They both have their faults, but I could see them playing for a better team that would use their abilities more efficiently than we do. Could see Emre playing a squad role for someone like ManU or Arsenal, whilst Dyer ultimately being a coutner attacking player being useful to someone like Liverpool.

Also think Nobby would definately get into Chelsea or ManU's team as a backup right back, probably first team for Chelsea considering their poor options in that position.

Parker has had a poor season after his role change and looks like being nothing more than a decent battling midfielder with some moderate shooting ability and limitations when it comes to moving the ball on, or spreading the play, efficiently/quickly, which is important for a central midfielder. Not sure hes got the ability or attributes to play for a better side, it might be different if he gained more confidence in his distribution and went back to his anchor midfield role.