Season tickets, the inevitable rise !

PCW1983

Wouldnt bother me, it would be a gap in my weekend plans but i cant gear myself up and get passionate about Newcastle the way i used to. It's not down to getting older its because the standard of football is poor and I cant see what Roeder is going to do different next season as it has been identifed in numerous games this season that he is inept and a bottler

Pretty much sums up how I feel at the moment as well.  Part of me thinks I should just renew, but then I just keep thinking why the fuck should I support his ineptitude and that of his boss with my 600 notes?  It's like a downpayment on misery - you give them your money at the start of the season, and they repay you with fortnightly bursts of mediocrity.

oh dear. You obviously wouldn't have the stomach for a real shite board and team Gem, just like all those who you think have always supported the club when we did ...... you know, that glory era where we fighting for the 2nd division relegation trophy instead of playing in europe.

Great fans, these fans of NUFC. The most loyal in the world, unless they suffer the mediocrity of playing regularly in europe and buying top international footballers, they won't go.

Top post mate. Maybe some of you will hop over to the SOS if they do better than our mediocrity.

A tip for you. If you want an excuse for not going, why not pick up on the fact that the season tickets are going to be in the form of swipe cards, meaning if you miss a game you can't sell the ticket unless its to someone who you trust will give you the card back ?

I didn't say I wouldn't go dicksplash , I said I wouldn't renew.  So get down off your high horse eh, there's a good loyal fan. 

Fact is you would accept anything you get served up because "it's better than it used to be" - it's nothing to do with loyalty, it's because you're a brainless idiot that is Shepherd's dream fan.  I have other things in my life to occupy my time and money beside a football team, and I'm not stupid enough to hand over money for a season ticket (particularly if there's a price rise) following the shit we've been served up the last few seasons - we are going backwards fast, everyone but you can see it, and I'm not about to blindly support it with my hard earned.  You'll turn up as usual with a big vacant grin on your face, happy with the shit that your hero keeps serving up.  That's up to you.  I don't have to renew to keep the likes of you happy.

On the contrary, Gemma chum, its people like you who believe that the current board have not done well for the club, because you are absolutely clueless as to where they were when they found them, that are brainless idiots. Because you are genuinely stupid enough to honestly believe that replacement directors will automatically be better, and show ambition for the club, despite the vast majority of other directors at other clubs not having these qualities nor looking at the hard fact that many other clubs change their boards and don't necessarily get better ones either.

So, dicksplash, you should wise up, and stop believing in fairies. This is the real world.

If you choose not to support the club, simply because they haven't qualified for europe, then that confirms, absolutely, my comments in the last post.

BTW dicksplash, don't confuse this to mean "love", or anything, which is the words of someone REALLY thick and stupid. I support the club, not any individual. You clearly think you want to spend your money elsewhere and will be better off. Go for it laddie. The club is better off without you. As I said, if you think the last decade is shit, you've seen nothing.

Have a nice time at the metro centre. It will be extremely funny if the club appoints a good manager, and you can't get your ticket back because its gone.

As for your hard earned cash, you're on here all day, dicksplash

Don't the Telegraph do a page showing the number of transactions, how many shares bought or sold etc any given day?

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/pricesnews/prices/system/detailedprices.htm?sym=GB0006572795GBGBXSEQ10657279NCU

Thanks, I was commenting rather than asking, but appreciated all the same.

I still think the activity in football shares has a lot to do with Arsenal/Dein/Kroenke etc.  Spurs price has gone up another 6%+ today, they've doubled in value in 6 months.  It's probably clubs that would be good to take over rather than firm belief that one is imminent.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/pricesnews/prices/system/detailedprices.htm?sym=GB0008962986GBGBXAIM%200896298TTNM

Rumours of a 5% reduction were doing the rounds a while back which equates to one free game at this seasons prices or dropping the price back to last seasons level.

swings and roundabouts isn't it.

We all want to pay less, but we all want better performance and better players, or more money spent on better players.

Its got to come from somewhere.

Its no use people moaning if the club doesn't buy quality players if they are not prepared to pay for it. The vast majority of the ground isn't particularly expensive within premiership prices. Yes, some clubs are cheaper, and some clubs are more expensive.

It's also too expensive for some people. If someone lives outside Newcastle, its more expensive again, especially if they live a distance outside Newcastle or even the North East.

This problem is far deeper ranging than NUFC's ticket prices.

The problem is far deeper than just providing a nice transfer kitty too.  Although this is beyond your comprehension as we've proved time and again.

Indeed. An accountant like you, is just the sort of person who should have known the repercussions of Souness selling our best players for a pittance, and going on a wild spending spree to replace them. Sadly, you didn't have the comprehension to see that, did you.

iirc he did send freddy a txt, but Freddy was too stubborn to listen.

mackems.gif

silly lad

Rumours of a 5% reduction were doing the rounds a while back which equates to one free game at this seasons prices or dropping the price back to last seasons level.

We all want to pay less, but we all want better performance and better players, or more money spent on better players.

Its no use people moaning if the club doesn't buy quality players if they are not prepared to pay for it. The vast majority of the ground isn't particularly expensive within premiership prices. Yes, some clubs are cheaper, and some clubs are more expensive.

It's also too expensive for some people. If someone lives outside Newcastle, its more expensive again, especially if they live a distance outside Newcastle or even the North East.

Theres a matter of principle here as well. If footballs a business (as we are regularly told, and im sure Shepherd believes, it is) then what sort of business can serve up a shit product - and even NE5 must accept on the whole the 'product' or entertainment served up at St James has been shit - then increase the price of that product and still expect people to pay?

I fully intent to renew my season ticket if prices are reduced or even if they stay the same, but dont think ill be able to bring myself to do it if they go up. Not because I cant afford it, I probably could at a push, but because ill fell like im being taken for granted and treated like a total idiot.

It's also not very helpful comparing the situation now to the one in the 80s/early 90s either. Yes, the players probably wern't of the same standard they are now, but I can guarantee the average ticket price wasn't £600 either, in real terms. Would you have still bought one if it had been? When does your 'loyalty' stop and the ticket become too expensive? £700? £1000? £2000? Or do you pay regardless untill you bankrupt yourself?

People are thinking about not renewing not because their shit fans, but because footballs a very expensive hobby (the fact that it might be more expensive elsewhere is irrelevant) and this season people simple havn't been recieving value for money.

Yes, our fans are loyal, but to suggest fans should happily and ignorantly pay any price regardless of feeling like they are being treated like mugs and the sub standard football being served upis total bollocks.

Theres a matter of principle here as well. If footballs a business (as we are regularly told, and im sure Shepherd believes, it is) then what sort of business can serve up a shit product - and even NE5 must accept on the whole the 'product' or entertainment served up at St James has been shit - then increase the price of that product and still expect people to pay?

I fully intent to renew my season ticket if prices are reduced or even if they stay the same, but dont think ill be able to bring myself to do it if they go up. Not because I cant afford it, I probably could at a push, but because ill fell like im being taken for granted and treated like a total idiot.

It's also not very helpful comparing the situation now to the one in the 80s/early 90s either. Yes, the players probably wern't of the same standard they are now, but I can guarantee the average ticket price wasn't £600 either, in real terms. Would you have still bought one if it had been? When does your 'loyalty' stop and the ticket become too expensive? £700? £1000? £2000? Or do you pay regardless untill you bankrupt yourself?

People are thinking about not renewing not because their shit fans, but because footballs a very expensive hobby (the fact that it might be more expensive elsewhere is irrelevant) and this season people simple havn't been recieving value for money.

Yes, our fans are loyal, but to suggest fans should happily and ignorantly pay any price regardless of feeling like they are being treated like mugs and the sub standard football being served upis total bollocks.

I don't think the prices should go up.

Neither do I think they should be reduced.

I think that overall, they are about right, across the board, comparitively.

I think the cup ties should have been reduced to the bare minimum. This has been a mistake, and bad PR by the club.

The football hasn't been good, nobody is saying that, but you can't ignore our position and games in europe when you say it is shit, because comparitively again, it hasn't been shit. The fact is, really mate, that very few football teams play good football all the time, of course we want it but so does everyone.

I would rather have winning football though personally. Stylish football with poor results, or a team of homers, isn't really any good either. We have had this. We had it in the early 1970's, this was looked on as a golden era but this team did worse than the current one, they finished 15th for 3 consecutive seasons.

In a way, we are all mugs. All football fans who buy shirts etc are mugs, and all directors know it. I don't understand why so many people moan on about this and make out that its only us, when they know deep down it is not. And the fact IS - like it or not - we have had a better return for our money than the vast majority of fans of other clubs. Don't construe this for saying I am happy, because I am not.

I AM renewing though. And I don't like the idea of a swipe card, but I'm still renewing. I was pissed off last season at missing some cup games through working away and not being able to sell the ticket, so I won't be renewing the direct debit subscription, and this is the reason why, particularly as I have no intention of loaning out my swipe card to someone who is a friend of my mate and I may not get it back or something.

EDIT: Ref the 80's and prices. I take your point. During previous years, I had a season ticket for the centre paddock [see my avatar], and had it up until the promotion season.

When the Leazes opened again, I transferred to where I sit now. I'm happy with my seat, its in a great position, but it doubled in price. I wasn't really happy with that, who would be ? I liked the paddock, it was a good view, and like nowadays when you sit down, I found most of the people who stood where I did came to the same spot for most games. If I had the choice between a cheaper standing ticket in a good position and where I sit now, I would probably take the standing ticket. Even though the unobstructed view and easy access to your seat is brilliant.

And whats more, I think standing areas would be a great thing for the premiership if they were introduced again.

I AM renewing though. And I don't like the idea of a swipe card, but I'm still renewing. I was pissed off last season at missing some cup games through working away and not being able to sell the ticket, so I won't be renewing the direct debit subscription, and this is the reason why, particularly as I have no intention of loaning out my swipe card to someone who is a friend of my mate and I may not get it back or something.

Is your objection to the swipe card the fact that it makes it harder to lend to people?

I don't know what the situation with Newcastle is, but we've had these trialled in parts of the ground this year, and everyone gets them next year.

Apparently they *will* be transferrable at our place, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that yours will be too.

Is your objection to the swipe card the fact that it makes it harder to lend to people?

I don't know what the situation with Newcastle is, but we've had these trialled in parts of the ground this year, and everyone gets them next year.

Apparently they *will* be transferrable at our place, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that yours will be too.

Basically, for the cup games I missed through work/travel, and 2 league games, my mate sold the tickets to people he knows in the pub/work/club or whatever. Once or twice I didn't know the person, but he did, for a lower price though. A couple of games went unsold.

Next season as we aren't in europe it probably is irrelevant there will only be a handful of cup games unless we have a good run in one of the cups, so I suppose I could renew. But I'm just pissed off at losing out so don't really want to waste even one ticket next season.

To answer your question, or ask further, what do you mean by "transferable" ???????? My mate actually sold one ticket for me outside the turnstile. Obviously it was to someone who "looked" OK and anyway he sat next to him and he was "OK" ...  :coolsmiley:

Basically, for the cup games I missed through work/travel, and 2 league games, my mate sold the tickets to people he knows in the club or whatever. Once or twice I didn't know the person, but he did, for a lower price though. A couple of games went unsold.

Next season as we aren't in europe it probably is irrelevant there will only be a handful of cup games unless we have a good run in one of the cups, so I suppose I could renew. But I'm just pissed off at losing out so don't really want to waste even one ticket next season.

To answer your question, or ask further, what do you mean by "transferable" ???????? My mate actually sold one ticket for me outside the turnstile. Obviously it was to someone who "looked" OK and anyway he sat next to him and he was "OK" ...  :coolsmiley:

I meant transferrable as in usable by someone else. My situation is like yours, in that i work in London, so night matches are a problem for me. This season, I've given my ticket to friends when I couldn't make it and it hasn't been a problem.

But, here's a scenario - if say my sister had her ST next to me, and couldn't make it to a match, so lent it to my brother. On entering with a ST book, nobody bats an eyelid. On entering with a swipe card, the flunky there watching people come in notices that the card flashes up my sister's name, only for him to see some hairy bloke coming in.

In that case, it becomes much harder than before to transfer your ST to someone else. Not even getting into the subject of selling it on.

What we've been told for next season is that we CAN transfer the ticket to someone else for the day (apparently it is a legal minefield getting the wording of this correct), and not only that, they're going to be introducing a system whereby if you can't use your ST for a certain match, you get some form of credit back - possibly not a direct refund, but something approaching it.

The idea is also that you'll be able to charge things to your card, ie charge it up with cash, and use it to pay for stuff at the food and drink outlets in teh ground / the club shop (apparently Reading already have this system).

I'm normally the first one to raise an eyebrow at infringements of civil liberties, and I'm naturally suspicious of anything that holds more info about us than it needs to, but I think swipe cards aren't a bad idea.

Of course, it makes you harder to sell your ticket for the day.

Basically, for the cup games I missed through work/travel, and 2 league games, my mate sold the tickets to people he knows in the club or whatever. Once or twice I didn't know the person, but he did, for a lower price though. A couple of games went unsold.

I meant transferrable as in usable by someone else. My situation is like yours, in that i work in London, so night matches are a problem for me. This season, I've given my ticket to friends when I couldn't make it and it hasn't been a problem.

But, here's a scenario - if say my sister had her ST next to me, and couldn't make it to a match, so lent it to my brother. On entering with a ST book, nobody bats an eyelid. On entering with a swipe card, the flunky there watching people come in notices that the card flashes up my sister's name, only for him to see some hairy bloke coming in.

In that case, it becomes much harder than before to transfer your ST to someone else. Not even getting into the subject of selling it on.

What we've been told for next season is that we CAN transfer the ticket to someone else for the day (apparently it is a legal minefield getting the wording of this correct), and not only that, they're going to be introducing a system whereby if you can't use your ST for a certain match, you get some form of credit back - possibly not a direct refund, but something approaching it.

The idea is also that you'll be able to charge things to your card, ie charge it up with cash, and use it to pay for stuff at the food and drink outlets in teh ground / the club shop (apparently Reading already have this system).

I'm normally the first one to raise an eyebrow at infringements of civil liberties, and I'm naturally suspicious of anything that holds more info about us than it needs to, but I think swipe cards aren't a bad idea.

Of course, it makes you harder to sell your ticket for the day.

the idea of getting a refund in the event you don't use your card for a game is a bit drastic .... I can see a position whereby a club has 10,000 season ticket holders not coming to a game, thus expecting refunds, and 10,000 outside the stadium not getting in as they are obliged to "reserve" 10,000 season ticket holders seats !!!!! .

If the club adopted a swipe card system whereby you used it for a cup game and were charged, and weren't charge if you didn't, then I would do that, but would it not be unworkable for the same reason ?

These scenarios obviously would not apply to some clubs, but they certainly would to clubs who sell out their capacity to season ticket holders, or close to their capacity.

the idea of getting a refund in the event you don't use your card for a game is a bit drastic .... I can see a position whereby a club has 10,000 season ticket holders not coming to a game, thus expecting refunds, and 10,000 outside the stadium not getting in as they are obliged to "reserve" 10,000 season ticket holders seats !!!!! .

If the club adopted a swipe card system whereby you used it for a cup game and were charged, and weren't charge if you didn't, then I would do that, but would it not be unworkable for the same reason ?

These scenarios obviously would not apply to some clubs, but they certainly would to clubs who sell out their capacity to season ticket holders, or close to their capacity.

I didn't say a refund, but some form of credit for unused tickets - obviously, if it were a refund, you could theoretically buy a ST, watch the games against the big four, then get refunds on the rest, and hey presto, you've watched the four games you want at ST holder rates.

You're right, it does get very complex, and apparently there are a lot of issues to still be ironed out, but to be honest, I'm surprised it has taken so long for clubs to get round to using swipe cards.

They're not stupid, if you check the small print for your current ST book I am sure it will say it is non-transferrable. They know people obviously lend them to friends and such. Theoretically, swipe cards could make this much, much harder to do, but they seem to have realised they're going to have to make some concession to the fact that for a lot of people, if they can't "transfer" their ticket to a friend for a match, they're not going to buy one in the first place.

Guest Gemmill

Wouldnt bother me, it would be a gap in my weekend plans but i cant gear myself up and get passionate about Newcastle the way i used to. It's not down to getting older its because the standard of football is poor and I cant see what Roeder is going to do different next season as it has been identifed in numerous games this season that he is inept and a bottler

Pretty much sums up how I feel at the moment as well.  Part of me thinks I should just renew, but then I just keep thinking why the fuck should I support his ineptitude and that of his boss with my 600 notes?  It's like a downpayment on misery - you give them your money at the start of the season, and they repay you with fortnightly bursts of mediocrity.

oh dear. You obviously wouldn't have the stomach for a real shite board and team Gem, just like all those who you think have always supported the club when we did ...... you know, that glory era where we fighting for the 2nd division relegation trophy instead of playing in europe.

Great fans, these fans of NUFC. The most loyal in the world, unless they suffer the mediocrity of playing regularly in europe and buying top international footballers, they won't go.

Top post mate. Maybe some of you will hop over to the SOS if they do better than our mediocrity.

A tip for you. If you want an excuse for not going, why not pick up on the fact that the season tickets are going to be in the form of swipe cards, meaning if you miss a game you can't sell the ticket unless its to someone who you trust will give you the card back ?

I didn't say I wouldn't go dicksplash , I said I wouldn't renew.  So get down off your high horse eh, there's a good loyal fan. 

Fact is you would accept anything you get served up because "it's better than it used to be" - it's nothing to do with loyalty, it's because you're a brainless idiot that is Shepherd's dream fan.  I have other things in my life to occupy my time and money beside a football team, and I'm not stupid enough to hand over money for a season ticket (particularly if there's a price rise) following the shit we've been served up the last few seasons - we are going backwards fast, everyone but you can see it, and I'm not about to blindly support it with my hard earned.  You'll turn up as usual with a big vacant grin on your face, happy with the shit that your hero keeps serving up.  That's up to you.  I don't have to renew to keep the likes of you happy.

On the contrary, Gemma chum, its people like you who believe that the current board have not done well for the club, because you are absolutely clueless as to where they were when they found them, that are brainless idiots. Because you are genuinely stupid enough to honestly believe that replacement directors will automatically be better, and show ambition for the club, despite the vast majority of other directors at other clubs not having these qualities nor looking at the hard fact that many other clubs change their boards and don't necessarily get better ones either.

So, dicksplash, you should wise up, and stop believing in fairies. This is the real world.

If you choose not to support the club, simply because they haven't qualified for europe, then that confirms, absolutely, my comments in the last post.

BTW dicksplash, don't confuse this to mean "love", or anything, which is the words of someone REALLY thick and stupid. I support the club, not any individual. You clearly think you want to spend your money elsewhere and will be better off. Go for it laddie. The club is better off without you. As I said, if you think the last decade is shit, you've seen nothing.

Have a nice time at the metro centre. It will be extremely funny if the club appoints a good manager, and you can't get your ticket back because its gone.

As for your hard earned cash, you're on here all day, dicksplash

I'm not getting into it with you - you've already started making stuff up and putting words into my mouth, as is your wont in situations like this, so why bother trying to argue when you don't address the actual points a person makes - you'll deny this of course, because you're a blind, ignorant and uneducated man (yes I know you've got a chip on your shoulder about education, and it's no wonder).  You've proven time and again (in all of your various guises, across numerous forums) that you are incapable of recognising that any progress we made under Hall's time here as chairman is rapidly being dismantled by your man Shepherd. 

Like I've said, I won't stop going, but if I decide to stop handing over money on faith to that fucking cretin during the summer, it will be a decision that I come to myself - I've given him my money on faith for long enough and he's let us all down time and time again through his poor management and appalling decision-making.  And because I have a brain in my head, I wouldn't criticise anyone even if they DID decide to stop going, as there comes a time for everyone when they have to say that enough is enough.  That time will never come for you, because as long as we aren't relegated, and as long as there's some money to spend in the summer, you see that as a success.  There are others with brains who can see the terrible mismanagement at NUFC.  Only the truely stupid people can't.

Thanks for the soopafan lecture though.  Truely inspirational.  You keep telling Shepherd that what he's doing is acceptable with your insta-renewal of your season ticket.  By the way, i haven't even mentioned the fact that you posted on your own board that you haven't made it up to many matches this season because you live a bit too far away.  Oh dear, what sort of a soopafan are you exactly?

I didn't say a refund, but some form of credit for unused tickets - obviously, if it were a refund, you could theoretically buy a ST, watch the games against the big four, then get refunds on the rest, and hey presto, you've watched the four games you want at ST holder rates.

You're right, it does get very complex, and apparently there are a lot of issues to still be ironed out, but to be honest, I'm surprised it has taken so long for clubs to get round to using swipe cards.

They're not stupid, if you check the small print for your current ST book I am sure it will say it is non-transferrable. They know people obviously lend them to friends and such. Theoretically, swipe cards could make this much, much harder to do, but they seem to have realised they're going to have to make some concession to the fact that for a lot of people, if they can't "transfer" their ticket to a friend for a match, they're not going to buy one in the first place.

the ST books at Newcastle have always said they are not transferrable mate. I think as you say, unless they give some considerable concessions, some clubs could be shooting themselves in the foot here

I didn't say I wouldn't go dicksplash, I said I wouldn't renew.  So get down off your high horse eh, there's a good loyal fan. 

Don't lie :razz:

The problem is far deeper than just providing a nice transfer kitty too. Although this is beyond your comprehension as we've proved time and again.

Indeed. An accountant like you, is just the sort of person who should have known the repercussions of Souness selling our best players for a pittance, and going on a wild spending spree to replace them. Sadly, you didn't have the comprehension to see that, did you.

Souness didn't set the price of the players who were being sold, nor did he sanction the incoming transfers at those ridiculous prices.

And don't come back with your typical 'What is a chairman to do then? Not back his manager?' bollocks because this isn't about that. It's about the fees for the players bought and sold, something that Souness did not control, so don't blame him for something Shepherd was in control of.

The problem is far deeper than just providing a nice transfer kitty too.  Although this is beyond your comprehension as we've proved time and again.

Souness didn't set the price of the players who were being sold, nor did he sanction the incoming transfers at those ridiculous prices.

And don't come back with your typical 'What is a chairman to do then? Not back his manager?' bollocks because this isn't about that. It's about the fees for the players bought and sold, something that Souness did not control, so don't blame him for something Shepherd was in control of.

Good chairman back their managers. It might not suit your "opinion" but its fact. I just bet that if the club DIDN'T back their managers you would moan.

Quite amazing that people moan because the club didn't spend money in the summer of 2003 [having bought Woodgate a few months earlier which doesn;t count for some reason] then they moan on when the club DO spend money. What would you have said if the club hadn't backed their managers when they bought Bellamy, Robert, Martins, Woodgate, Milner ... to name some successful ones ? Or are you only going to quote the unsuccessful ones, then blame the chairman for not casting his professional eye of the merits of the players brought into the club ?

Or is it quite simply that you naively believe the club should get every signing right, like everybody else does  ;D

Your comment about Souness not setting the value of Bellamy and Robert has no basis, because everyone knows that, as the manager, he openly said they would never play for the club again. So what would you have said if the club had let them rot in the reserves ? Blame the board for having expensive players playing in the reserves ? I just bet you would.

Or do you think the chairman should have told his manager to play those players ? What would you have said if THAT had happened ? Slate them whatever they do mate.  mackems.gif

:lol:

Fucking hell mate, did you even read what I wrote?? I'm talking about the FEES! Take a minute and wrap your mind around the concept of fees. I'll say it again, I'm not talking about backing the manager or not. He could have still backed the manager if Luque was bought for £8m, or if Owen was bought for £13m instead of £16m or whatever. I realize it's difficult to separate the two concepts, but what I'm getting at here is Shepherd's negotiation skills (or lack thereof). Owen for £16m?! You kidding me? Selling Bellamy for £5m?? Fucking joke that. I don't care how much Souness undermined Bellamy, every single person and their dog knows (and knew - before you trot out your 'hindsight' line) that Bellamy was worth more, even if he's an arrogant prick. That's my point, Shepherd's ineptness in the negotiation room, if you like.

Fucking hell mate, did you even read what I wrote?? I'm talking about the FEES! Take a minute and wrap your mind around the concept of fees. I'll say it again, I'm not talking about backing the manager or not. He could have still backed the manager if Luque was bought for £8m, or if Owen was bought for £13m instead of £16m or whatever. I realize it's difficult to separate the two concepts, but what I'm getting at here is Shepherd's negotiation skills (or lack thereof). Owen for £16m?! You kidding me? Selling Bellamy for £5m?? Fucking joke that. I don't care how much Souness undermined Bellamy, every single person and their dog knows (and knew - before you trot out your 'hindsight' line) that Bellamy was worth more, even if he's an arrogant prick. That's my point, Shepherd's ineptness in the negotiation room, if you like.

I've added to the post, but I think you would be better off if yo attempted to understand the concept that a manager wants a player, and the club has the money, so the club gets them, and the manager says to his chairman that in his professional opinion, this player is worth the 9m quid that is being asked.

Of course, the chairman CAN say the club can't afford the player. But, when this has happened in the past ie Miguel possibly, the board was slated for not backing the manager. Then you complain - as you are - for not exercising financial restraints when they do spend the money.

So. Which is it. Back him or not ? Or are you going to wait and see if the player succeeds, before blaming the board when it suits you ?

I've added to the post, but I think you would be better off if yo attempted to understand the concept that a manager wants a player, and the club has the money, so the club gets them, and the manager says to his chairman that in his professional opinion, this player is worth the 9m quid that is being asked.

Of course, the chairman CAN say the club can't afford the player. But, when this has happened in the past ie Miguel possibly, the board was slated for not backing the manager. Then you complain - as you are - for not exercising financial restraints when they do spend the money.

So. Which is it. Back him or not ? Or are you going to wait and see if the player succeeds, before blaming the board when it suits you ?

IIRC, we didn't sign Wayne Bridge in the last summer transfer window because we couldn't afford the £3m at the time, a fact that was endorsed by us not spending in the winter transfer window. I didn't have a problem with that. We couldn't spend so we didn't spend, fine.

I won't complain if the chairman says to the manager 'look, we can't spend this much because we don't have it' if it's the truth. It wasn't the truth with Miguel though, was it? Barely 5 months later, Shepherd splashed out £8m on Boumsong. So what was it about you saying Shepherd backs his manager? Should I not slate him for not backing SBR with Miguel, then sacking him 4 games into the season and then finally, to top it all off, hiring Souness and letting him spend a net of £11m at the first opportunity?

Edit - Souness spent a net of £10.4m. Boumsong + Babayaro + Faye - Bernard = £10.4m

PS. Fuck off with this kinda rubbish..

Blame the board for having expensive players playing in the reserves ? I just bet you would.

Don't pretend you know what I'm going to say or not say.

Second Edit - Not only did Shepherd not back SBR, he then actually paid a fee (500k iirc) for Souness, plus all the hiring and salaries of his 'coaches' who had to tag along. All that comes to about £11m+. So, again, what was it about you saying Shepherd backs his managers?

I agree, btw, that a good chairman will back a manager.

IIRC, we didn't sign Wayne Bridge in the last summer transfer window because we couldn't afford the £3m at the time, a fact that was endorsed by us not spending in the winter transfer window. I didn't have a problem with that. We couldn't spend so we didn't spend, fine.

I won't complain if the chairman says to the manager 'look, we can't spend this much because we don't have it' if it's the truth. It wasn't the truth with Miguel though, was it? Barely 5 months later, Shepherd splashed out £8m on Boumsong. So what was it about you saying Shepherd backs his manager? Should I not slate him for not backing SBR with Miguel, then sacking him 4 games into the season and then finally, to top it all off, hiring Souness and letting him spend a net of £11m at the first opportunity?

Edit - Souness spent a net of £10.4m. Boumsong + Babayaro + Faye - Bernard = £10.4m

PS. Fuck off with this kinda rubbish..

Blame the board for having expensive players playing in the reserves ? I just bet you would.

Don't pretend you know what I'm going to say or not say.

Second Edit - Not only did Shepherd not back SBR, he then actually paid a fee (500k iirc) for Souness, plus all the hiring and salaries of his 'coaches' who had to tag along. All that comes to about £11m+. So, again, what was it about you saying Shepherd backs his managers?

I agree, btw, that a good chairman will back a manager.

Well, do you think that the board should have allowed Bellamy and Robert to go for a pittance as the fees had been driven down, or do you think they should have played these players in the reserves, or do you think they should have told the manager to play them ?

My guess is that you, and the vast majority of people, would have slated them whatever they did. Which you ARE doing, and appear to be only too happy to do, regardless of that they do.

This point is proven beyond dispute by the very fact that you are in this very thread, complaining on one hand about the club spending big money on players that the manager wants, then complaining about them not backing the managers.

What exactly do you want ? you don't really know do you ? You will simply just slate the board for any transfer that is not a success, and in a nutshell, this is your outlook. It is proven conclusively by your comment about Boumsong and Miguel. How can you say they didn't back their manager when they backed him to the tune of 8m to buy Boumsong ?

To say that the board did not back Bobby Robson is complete tosh mate. They have backed ALL of their managers. How many clubs have generated the finance and backed their managers more than us since 1992 ? Genuine question. Look it up before you post such rubbish.

There are plenty of clubs who don't back their managers, if you want to look around. There has been one 12 miles down the road for decades for starters. Who we sat alongside for decades ourselves, until we started backing our managers, that is.

It's not really backing a manager if you pick and choose when and who to back, is it?

Shepherd backed SBR at the start, and then undermined his position by announcing he would leave at the end of the season, then did NOT back him with Miguel. The fact that he later gave Souness £10m proves that he in fact did not back SBR, at least not always (for further examples, read Butt, Nicky and Bowyer, Lee). This also comes back to the picking and choosing of the times to back a manager btw. And you shouldn't boast about Shepherd backing Souness because in the end, Shepherd was the one who hired Souness so the buck stops with Shepherd. Period.

I can feel this thread is about to head in the direction of so many other threads before it so I'm going to cease to respond to anything you post in this thread. If you wish to have the last word, be my guess.

Well, do you think that the board should have allowed Bellamy and Robert to go for a pittance as the fees had been driven down, or do you think they should have played these players in the reserves, or do you think they should have told the manager to play them ?

My guess is that you, and the vast majority of people, would have slated them whatever they did. Which you ARE doing, and appear to be only too happy to do, regardless of that they do.

This point is proven beyond dispute by the very fact that you are in this very thread, complaining on one hand about the club spending big money on players that the manager wants, then complaining about them not backing the managers.

What exactly do you want ? you don't really know do you ? You will simply just slate the board for any transfer that is not a success, and in a nutshell, this is your outlook. It is proven conclusively by your comment about Boumsong and Miguel. How can you say they didn't back their manager when they backed him to the tune of 8m to buy Boumsong ?

To say that the board did not back Bobby Robson is complete tosh mate. They have backed ALL of their managers. How many clubs have generated the finance and backed their managers more than us since 1992 ? Genuine question. Look it up before you post such rubbish.

There are plenty of clubs who don't back their managers, if you want to look around. There has been one 12 miles down the road for decades for starters. Who we sat alongside for decades ourselves, until we started backing our managers, that is.

:jesuswept: you're like a broken record.   :laughing7:

Shepherd, Souness and Bellamy all agreed that what went on that day at training was to remain within the chairmans office, Souness went in front of the Sky cameras to let us all know what was going on then Bellamy responded.  Shepherd should have sacked Souness that day for betraying his confidence yet you back him, he should have been sacked months earlier for grabbing Bellamy by the throat.

Shepherd was as guilty as Souness for driving the fees down for both players because he allowed it to happen and in both cases contributed.

It's not really backing a manager if you pick and choose when and who to back, is it?

Shepherd backed SBR at the start, and then undermined his position by announcing he would leave at the end of the season, then did NOT back him with Miguel. The fact that he later gave Souness £10m proves that he in fact did not back SBR, at least not always (for further examples, read Butt, Nicky and Bowyer, Lee). This also comes back to the picking and choosing of the times to back a manager btw. And you shouldn't boast about Shepherd backing Souness because in the end, Shepherd was the one who hired Souness so the buck stops with Shepherd. Period.

I can feel this thread is about to head in the direction of so many other threads before it so I'm going to cease to respond to anything you post in this thread. If you wish to have the last word, be my guess.

you appear, like many people, to be unable to accept that stating facts doesn't necessarily mean backing the board.

It is a shame that you are unable to give any credit for anything, and appear to think that everything they do should be the right thing, buying the right player, and at the right price. Just how many clubs do you think do this, in the real world ?

The last decade has been far from shit, if you really think it has been, you have a problem. Period.

These threads only go "in the direction of so many threads" because of people who simply don't know what they want, therefore they criticise at every turn. This thread and your recent comments are a classic example. You simply cannot say that the club have  not backed their managers simply by selecting ONE player that YOU think they should have found the money to sign.

Then criticise the club for spending too much money.

Absurd.

:jesuswept: you're like a broken record.   :laughing7:

Shepherd, Souness and Bellamy all agreed that what went on that day at training was to remain within the chairmans office, Souness went in front of the Sky cameras to let us all know what was going on then Bellamy responded.  Shepherd should have sacked Souness that day for betraying his confidence yet you back him, he should have been sacked months earlier for grabbing Bellamy by the throat.

Shepherd was as guilty as Souness for driving the fees down for both players because he allowed it to happen and in both cases contributed.

Well Mick, I think all the people who harp on about the club not backing managers, and criticising the club for qualifying for europe more than everyone bar 4 other clubs, are like broken records.

I also think that people who say - ludicrously - that the club doesn't back managers, also sound like broken records.

I was not aware that Shepherd grabbed Bellamy on the training ground and told the press that he picks the team and Bellamy would not play for Newcastle again. Like it or not, that is why the fee went down, and as I said, the only 2 options, apart from sacking Souness, were to either play him in the reserves until his contract ran out, or order his manager to play him in the first team, and I am fairly certain that almost everyone would have criticised if they had done one of those things. YOU would have, and you know it.

Anyway, once again, this thread has ended up on the same issues. Its a pity, because it was a canny discussion earlier. I've said my piece on the board backing managers. I'm not saying it again in this thread and hopefully someone can put it back on the right track.

as I said, the only 2 options, apart from sacking Souness, were to either play him in the reserves until his contract ran out, or order his manager to play him in the first team, and I am fairly certain that almost everyone would have criticised if they had done one of those things. YOU would have, and you know it.

There was another option that you haven't mentioned which I would have done and that was to send Bellamy out on loan for 12 months, that way if the team put together by Souness did gel and get us back into the top 5 we could of sold Bellamy on then, hopefully after a trouble free loan somewhere., that would have made more sense than selling him for a ridiculously low fee.

That was never going to happen though after Bellamy sent abusive text messages to Shearer and Freddie's boy.

as I said, the only 2 options, apart from sacking Souness, were to either play him in the reserves until his contract ran out, or order his manager to play him in the first team, and I am fairly certain that almost everyone would have criticised if they had done one of those things. YOU would have, and you know it.

There was another option that you haven't mentioned which I would have done and that was to send Bellamy out on loan for 12 months, that way if the team put together by Souness did gel and get us back into the top 5 we could of sold Bellamy on then, hopefully after a trouble free loan somewhere., that would have made more sense than selling him for a ridiculously low fee.

That was never going to happen though after Bellamy sent abusive text messages to Shearer and Freddie's boy.

He did go on loan, to Celtic, can't remember him being any bother up there.