Roeder - Owen 'definite chance for Monday' and Shola in squad

Guest hindu times

From www.nufc.co.uk

GLENN Roeder says that Michael Owen has a "definite chance" of playing against Reading on Monday, while fellow striker Shola Ameobi will be in the squad.

Ameobi came through another 70 minutes of Reserve team action on Monday, with Owen staying behind on Tyneside to work on his fitness.

And the United boss says that he will watch the club's record signing in training over the next three days before making a decision on Reading.

Roeder told nufc.co.uk: "Both Michael and Shola are getting closer to full fitness.

"Shola's had two games for the Reserves and has had no reaction in training.

"He's definitely in the squad and I'm sure he will play some part in the game.

"I did not feel that Michael needed to play in midweek, even if he was available if I wanted him.

"But I wanted him to do more fitness work on the training ground, and with his experience he did not need to play for the Reserves.

"When he is full fit he will go straight back into first-team action, and there is a definite chance that will be Monday.

"I will see how he trains over the next three days and if that goes well he will play on Monday."

Guest Knightrider

Ease them in slowly, 10 minutes at the end each. Too important to our chances next season to run the risk of bringing them back too early.

From www.nufc.co.uk

GLENN Roeder says that Michael Owen has a "definite chance" of playing against Reading on Monday, while fellow striker Shola Ameobi will be in the squad.

Ameobi came through another 70 minutes of Reserve team action on Monday, with Owen staying behind on Tyneside to work on his fitness.

And the United boss says that he will watch the club's record signing in training over the next three days before making a decision on Reading.

Roeder told nufc.co.uk: "Both Michael and Shola are getting closer to full fitness.

"Shola's had two games for the Reserves and has had no reaction in training.

"He's definitely in the squad and I'm sure he will play some part in the game.

"I did not feel that Michael needed to play in midweek, even if he was available if I wanted him.

"But I wanted him to do more fitness work on the training ground, and with his experience he did not need to play for the Reserves.

"When he is full fit he will go straight back into first-team action, and there is a definite chance that will be Monday.

"I will see how he trains over the next three days and if that goes well he will play on Monday."

That is absolute shite he's talking. Since when does a players experience make it easier for them to get match fit. What you meant to say Glenn was "I didn't have the nuts to tell him I expected him to have a run in the reserves so we've just not bothered".

That is absolute shite he's talking. Since when does a players experience make it easier for them to get match fit. What you meant to say Glenn was "I didn't have the nuts to tell him I expected him to have a run in the reserves so we've just not bothered".

Exactly what I thought when I read those quotes - may as well have just come out and said "Owen is too big for the reserves". Match fitness comes from playing matches more than running aroung the training ground.

Guest NIToon

Ease them in slowly, 10 minutes at the end each. Too important to our chances next season to run the risk of bringing them back too early.

Agree, I'd imagine they would both start from the bench, to be brought on in the second half

Guest nufc 4 life

That is absolute s**** he's talking. Since when does a players experience make it easier for them to get match fit. What you meant to say Glenn was "I didn't have the nuts to tell him I expected him to have a run in the reserves so we've just not bothered".

Exactly what I thought when I read those quotes - may as well have just come out and said "Owen is too big for the reserves". Match fitness comes from playing matches more than running aroung the training ground.

Shearer never started s reserve game after injury he always went straight into 1st team action

That is absolute s**** he's talking. Since when does a players experience make it easier for them to get match fit. What you meant to say Glenn was "I didn't have the nuts to tell him I expected him to have a run in the reserves so we've just not bothered".

Shearer never started s reserve game after injury he always went straight into 1st team action

I must say I'm surprised it took eight hours for someone to mention this... The same applies!

Actually, given that Owen is notoriously slow to gain match sharpness it is even more important for him to get games under his belt

neither will play until next season imo...

Shola will and Owen will get a few minutes here and there I reckon.

Shola will definitely play though.

I'd say Michael Owen will get as many minutes as Michael Owen wants...

MO: I'm right to play Glenn

GR: Yes sir, Mr Owen, whatever you say! Would you like to start, or would you prefer to come on?

neither will play until next season imo...

Shola will and Owen will get a few minutes here and there I reckon.

Shola will definitely play though.

I'd say Michael Owen will get as many minutes as Michael Owen wants...

MO: I'm right to play Glenn

GR: Yes sir, Mr Owen, whatever you say! Would you like to start, or would you prefer to come on?

I'd say Owen will play when he knows he is ready, he has just been out for practically 2 years he isn't going to take any risks and I for one wouldn't want him to. He is no doubt desperate to get playing again though.

I'd say Owen will play when he knows he is ready, he has just been out for practically 2 years he isn't going to take any risks and I for one wouldn't want him to. He is no doubt desperate to get playing again though.

Aye - I agree 100%. My point being though that if Owen says he is ready (or not) then Roeder won't quibble. None of the "holding back" we saw with Dyer

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1017240,00.html

Can't copy and paste it but it says that providing he trains well over the next 3 days, he will play on Monday (he didn't say whether he'd start or be on bench).

And Shola will definitely be in the squad.

Going to play himself into the England squad, tbh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest toonbaz

owen will definately play on monday, said himself last night, never said wether he would start or be on the bench though.