Sunday Sun: United in for Barnes

Guest Geordiesned

Guest Geordiesned

Link

United in for Barnes

Apr 29 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle are backing Sunderland to beat Derby County in the race for the Premiership - so they can land Rams' starlet Giles Barnes.

Teenager Barnes will leave Pride Park for the top flight if Derby do not go up automatically or from the play-offs.

And in that event, a source inside the Derby dressing room has told the Sunday Sun that Barnes is expecting to move to St James's Park.

United are already confident, as we revealed in early March, of landing Reading's Steve Sidwell on a free transfer.

But the signing of 18-year-old Barnes would command a significant slice of the Magpies' transfer budget, and represent an even bigger coup.

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has admitted his interest in Barnes, but Spurs had been thought to be the player's likely destination.

United are on the trail of Nancy defender Pape Diakhate, while Spanish sources are linking them with Real Madrid's Lilian Thuram, although a move for the French veteran would go against Roeder's youth-oriented recruitment drive.

Diakhate, the highly-rated Senegal international, has been told he can leave Nancy for a bigger club at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, Michael Owen will train with the United squad this morning before deciding whether he is fit to make his long-awaited comeback at Reading tomorrow night.

Why the hell would a "source inside the Derby dressing room" be telling the Sunday Sun anything??

Guest Geordiesned

Real Madrids Lilian Thuram? :rolleyes:    Thought Thuram was a barcelona player  :lol: 

yup and they paid quite a lot of cash for him last summer, and he's 35+

sort of discredits the whole article really

I would say the "By Neil Farrington" bit at the start discredits the whole story.

Guest Toon83

Neil Farrington is the worse journalist in the North East and maybe the worst out of anyones work ive read, hes always making mistakes like the Thuram one, and never ever has any quotes to back up his stories, and he's an arrogant prick to go with it :idiot2:

Barnes would add so much to our squad, in my opinion. Can play on either wing, through the centre, and off the striker - and he's got a heck of a peg on him. Versatile and youthful and gonna be bloody good - JUST what we need.

Guest Morph

Barnes would be an amazing signing and would instantly command a place in our team for his work rate alone never mind his skill.

Barnes would be an amazing signing and would instantly command a place in our team for his work rate alone never mind his skill.

Morph, fellow Derby-is-my-second-team man, you know more than i do, i would imagine... what actually is his best position?

I like what I've seen of him, but he seems to have a free role at Derby and he may have to adjust to a more disciplined position if and when he moves to the Premiership.

Long term I think he'll come good, but he may find the transition tough. I suspect that in most games that he plays at the moment, he's the best player on the pitch, and that's going to change.

Guest nufc 4 life

from what i have seen he is a canny player who is already up to EPL standard, he can be one of Englands top young prospects a very good player who would improve any team outside of the top 4. I will be watching him play today against Crystal Palace to see how he does, what about you lot?

Guest nufc 4 life

he has just had to be walked off the pitch with a knee injury saw him wincing early knew something was up