We don't need strikers...

Guest Knightrider

We need a f****** playmaker. Welcome to the real world Michael Owen, where you will be asked to jump 10ft high just to see the patch on the ball.

We need a quality striker and proper quality in the midfield. 37 goals scored tells it's own story and it's one that won't be fixed by signing a left back, no matter how much some people think it will.  :D

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1812/yawnax6.jpg

is that you Jon ?

Aye why?

well, I reckoned it must be you, or someone else importing their superior wisdom to you

To all the people who thinks we need strikers...

I guess it was  the strikers fault that we were eliminated by Az when we scored 4 goals in 37min in the 1st half of the 1st leg?

Some good defending and this game should have finished 4:0

and we failed to score against the smoggies, charlton, man city and wigan because ?

You and others can spout these one off statistics as much as you like, but my opinion - and one or two others I suspect - is borne out of watching and looking at the pattern of the team, the shape, and weaknesses in their general style of play and performance in games.

It is a fact that Martins and Owen are the only 2 good strikers we have. And it is extremely doubtful if they will play together. Therefore we need one top striker, at least.

That doesn't even begin to address the lack of support the front players are getting from the central midfield players.

Forwards and strikers cost money, and unlike left back, the demands of the position at this top level is such that you can't simply "fill in" with someone not used to it or good enough.

Really, I am surprised you are still harping on about this, especially after those 4 games I mentioned.

The thing is with the games you've mentioned is that next season we will (hopefully) have a fit Michael Owen banging the goals in, that's not me saying we don't need a new striker but I don't think it should be necessarily our number 1 priority.

We need a LB, CB, RB, attacking midfielder and a striker in the summer, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Guest alex

We need strengthening in so many areas it's a debate as to what are the priorities really. Given the likely departures this summer though centre-half has to be right up there.

I guess it was  the strikers fault that we were eliminated by Az when we scored 4 goals in 37min in the 1st half of the 1st leg?

and we failed to score against the smoggies, charlton, man city and wigan because ?

You and others can spout these one off statistics as much as you like, but my opinion - and one or two others I suspect - is borne out of watching and looking at the pattern of the team, the shape, and weaknesses in their general style of play and performance in games.

It is a fact that Martins and Owen are the only 2 good strikers we have. And it is extremely doubtful if they will play together. Therefore we need one top striker, at least.

That doesn't even begin to address the lack of support the front players are getting from the central midfield players.

Forwards and strikers cost money, and unlike left back, the demands of the position at this top level is such that you can't simply "fill in" with someone not used to it or good enough.

Really, I am surprised you are still harping on about this, especially after those 4 games I mentioned.

Full backs cost money aswell, well if you want good ones anyway!

good strikers and midfield players cost more. Always have done, always will do.

Not really true is it? Yes strikers can and often will cost more but not always. If you look at the top clubs they have spent or been close to spending a lot of money on full backs. Gareth Bale the 17 year old left back is going to cost more than Martins when he finally goes.

If you have little ability in the transfer market (Roeder, Shepherd) you will spend over the odds on strikers but thats down to them and not always the market.

We need strengthening in so many areas it's a debate as to what are the priorities really. Given the likely departures this summer though centre-half has to be right up there.

If, as expected the situation ends up as follows:

Taylor - Staying

Moore - Leaving

Bramble - Leaving

Huntington - Out on loan

Edgar - Out on Loan

Ramage - ?

Then we defo need to get at least 1 new CB.

The thing is with the games you've mentioned is that next season we will (hopefully) have a fit Michael Owen banging the goals in, that's not me saying we don't need a new striker but I don't think it should be necessarily our number 1 priority.

We need a LB, CB, RB, attacking midfielder and a striker in the summer, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Owen is a striker who needs a good supporting player. Will Martins be that ? I doubt it. And we need a 3rd striker, minimum. Forget Ameobi and Sibierski. They are no better than Bramble, Ramage and Moore, in fact they are worse because the simple thing is, at this level the most vital place to have talented players is up front and in midfield. You can always have a good defensive record with players holding the ball and a good organised back line with communication, courage and leadership. Better quality up front and in midfield will vastly improve the shape and threat of this team, but a left back will do absolutely nothing or very little to improve this. At least Bramble, Ramage and Moore look like they are bothered sometimes, unlike Ameobi, who is nothing other than a taller Arsprilla, ambling around without a care in the world half the time, and shooting with as much power and deliberation as if he was wearing slippers.

He's hopeless. It's unbelievable that only a few years ago people were saying we would be better off without Shearer, and this clown would fill his boots.

Sibierski has done well, but there is no way that he will repeat next season what he has done this season.

Newcastle United need a forward who will hold the ball, and play his team mates into the game, and they need an attacking midfield player who will support the front players and force situations in the last 3rd of the field.

Full backs cost money aswell, well if you want good ones anyway!

good strikers and midfield players cost more. Always have done, always will do.

Not really true is it? Yes strikers can and often will cost more but not always. If you look at the top clubs they have spent or been close to spending a lot of money on full backs. Gareth Bale the 17 year old left back is going to cost more than Martins when he finally goes.

If you have little ability in the transfer market (Roeder, Shepherd) you will spend over the odds on strikers but thats down to them and not always the market.

Quite ironic that people like you harp on about these so called "trophy" signings that we keep making - although you can't name them - then make such a fuss about spending mega bucks on a left back.

However, while you STILL think Shepherd judges footballers I'm not really surprised you are learning very little.

Owen is a striker who needs a good supporting player. Will Martins be that ? I doubt it. And we need a 3rd striker, minimum. Forget Ameobi and Sibierski. They are no better than Bramble, Ramage and Moore, in fact they are worse because the simple thing is, at this level the most vital place to have talented players is up front and in midfield. You can always have a good defensive record with players holding the ball and a good organised back line with communication, courage and leadership. Better quality up front and in midfield will vastly improve the shape and threat of this team, but a left back will do absolutely nothing or very little to improve this. At least Bramble, Ramage and Moore look like they are bothered sometimes, unlike Ameobi, who is nothing other than a taller Arsprilla, ambling around without a care in the world half the time, and shooting with as much power and deliberation as if he was wearing slippers.

He's hopeless. It's unbelievable that only a few years ago people were saying we would be better off without Shearer, and this clown would fill his boots.

Sibierski has done well, but there is no way that he will repeat next season what he has done this season.

Newcastle United need a forward who will hold the ball, and play his team mates into the game, and they need an attacking midfield player who will support the front players and force situations in the last 3rd of the field.

You're saying that Ameobi and Sibierski are not good enough to be 3rd and 4th choice strikers and you compare them to Bramble, Moore and Ramage, yet they are our first choice defenders.

As I've said we need to fill at least 5 positions in the summer, blowing a large chunk of money on any one position would be madness IMO.

Btw does Owen need a support striker? If you look at the strikers he's partnered for club and country in the past I wouldn't say a support striker is something he has to have.

Because our manager is shit and we play shit football under him.Simple as that

And why we lost against Bolton home and away,Fulham home,Birmingam,Az?

Why we conceded 5 goals against Championship side at home?Maybe because Martins is not good enough following your logic?

Im not denying that we need someone who can replace the old man Sibierski who is slower then my grandfather btw but we have Owen and Martins.Ameobi is still a donkey but can be used as a 3th choice striker.Carroll is one for the future and we should give him a chance.We have various options upfront dont we?

And please just dont tell me that apart from Martins and Owen the other strikers are not good enough.Yes they arent good enough.But what about Carr,Babayaro,Moore,Bramble,Ramage,Gooch???

Are they good enough for us??

The people who are saying that we need strikers ahead of defenders are just out of space.

Yes we need to replace Sibierski with someone better and yes we need some creative midfielder but we need some quality signings in defence ASAP

You're saying that Ameobi and Sibierski are not good enough to be 3rd and 4th choice strikers and you compare them to Bramble, Moore and Ramage, yet they are our first choice defenders.

As I've said we need to fill at least 5 positions in the summer, blowing a large chunk of money on any one position would be madness IMO.

Btw does Owen need a support striker? If you look at the strikers he's partnered for club and country in the past I wouldn't say a support striker is something he has to have.

We need 5 players. So do a lot of other clubs. Last season we needed 5 players ? What changes ? Other clubs needed 5 players, many clubs need 6 or 7 or more.

One thing is for certain, unless you buy quality then this position does not change one iota.

And quality - usually, and especially in the front positions - costs money. Usually. So where do you think we should target the biggest proportion of our budget ? Remember also, all those posts you have made about the clubs debt.

At this current time, I think that a leader at the back who is a basic defender who is determined and holds his position will improve Newcastle, while we spend our real money on the areas where real quality is most effective.

So Shepherd isn't the one who agrees a few for the players? My mistake!

If its all about strikers and holding the ball up in midfield how comes Chelsea are going to lose the title and have been knocked out of the champions league when they have the best striker in the league, the best holding midfielder and one of it not the best midfield in the league to go with it? Now if they missed a quality centre back which resulted in a slump I could understand it....Oh wait!....

We need 5 players. So do a lot of other clubs. Last season we needed 5 players ? What changes ? Other clubs needed 5 players, many clubs need 6 or 7 or more.

One thing is for certain, unless you buy quality then this position does not change one iota.

And quality - usually, and especially in the front positions - costs money. Usually. So where do you think we should target the biggest proportion of our budget ? Remember also, all those posts you have made about the clubs debt.

If you put it like that I would have to say.....defence. You pretty much hit the nail on the head, if you don't spend a fair bit you wont get quality and the team won't improve. We have 2 quality strikers, a number of good midfielders and erm maybe 2 (at a push) good defenders, one being a 21 year old still prone to mistakes and one right back who has played pretty much his whole club career in midfield and isnt getting any younger.

If its all about strikers and holding the ball up in midfield how comes Chelsea are going to lose the title and have been knocked out of the champions league when they have the best striker in the league, the best holding midfielder and one of it not the best midfield in the league to go with it? Now if they missed a quality centre back which resulted in a slump I could understand it....Oh wait!....

oh dear.

You are talking different levels of the game for starters. Poor old Chelsea, runners up in the league, League Cup Winners, FA Cup Finalists, and european cup semi finalists.

The manager judges the player. He says to his chairman "this player is worth the fee that is being asked". The chairman goes to his board with a recommendation from the manager. The club have the money. The club backs their managers judgement, if they have the money, if they don't, its hard lines.

I have said this so many times. This is how it works.

If the board have the money, and don;t back their manager and his judgement and recommendations, they are a shite board.

I'm not explaining this again. Clearly Jon you will never understand. There is little hope for you.

After the Chelsea match I said:

Apart from that, Sibierski's performance was like one big advertisement for everyone who advocates buying a striker who can hold the ball up as first priority (a view I don't necessarily subscribe to but can see the point). For the whole first half the ball bounced off Le Sib and straight back at us, putting us under lots of unnecessary pressure

oh dear.

You are talking different levels of the game for starters. Poor old Chelsea, runners up in the league, League Cup Winners, FA Cup Finalists, and european cup semi finalists.

The manager judges the player. He says to his chairman "this player is worth the fee that is being asked". The chairman goes to his board with a recommendation from the manager. The club have the money. The club backs their managers judgement, if they have the money, if they don't, its hard lines.

If the board have the money, and don;t back their manager and his judgement and recommendations, they are a shite board.

I'm not explaining this again. Clearly Jon you will never understand. There is little hope for you.

But if a defence is so unimportant surely it doesn't matter at all levels. Their striker and midfield is soo much better than ours then surely it doesn't matter if they have one defender missing.

We don't need to spend big on a striker this summer as Viduka is avaliable and would do everything you would want a partner for Owen or Martins to do.

If there was a left back/centre back of that quality on a free I would be happy for us to get him but I doubt there will be and we can't keep ignoring the defence if we ever want to be back fighting for regular European football.

I know what I've said about the clubs debt in the past, however if Shepherd thinks we can afford to spend then I'll have to take his word for it.

Realistically we should be bringing in a few free transfers to boost our already paper thin squad, we do need a striker as Owen isn't going to be fit for a whole season, perhaps a big man like Viduka would be a good shout, we need 2 new fullbacks as neither Carr or Babayaro are good enough, preferably fullbacks who offer us just as much going forward as they do defending.

A new CB is important, Distin would be good on a free but I get the feeling we'll need more than one with Bramble, Moore and Gooch off and Huntington and Edgar going out on loan, I like the idea of Curtis Davies but I wouldn't blow the majority of our budget on him, he's not the all action defender that some people crave but he's a technically gifted defender in the mould of Rio Ferdinand, having a defender that can bring the ball out from the back should knock all of our aimless long balls on the head.

Lastly we need an all action midfielder who can get forward and score goals, someone with the ability to beat his man and draw defenders out of position, it's this player that I can see costing big money as nobody springs to mind on the cheap, maybe Tunkay on a free transfer but I think he'll get better offers than us.

Guest Sniffer

I'd prefer pace up front rather than viduka. If we could afford him , I'd like Darren Bent to play up front with Owen if Valencia give us a sizeable fee.

oh dear.

If the board have the money, and don;t back their manager and his judgement and recommendations, they are a s**** board.

You didnt answer the second part of the question...

Btw im surprised that you dont think that defenders are as important as strikers.

You said that you support Newcastle long time ago.Can you tell me then why did we lose the title in 95/96 season,also under SBR we were close too.Why?

Under KK we had great team,great strikers,great midfielders,and....average/poor defence.

Under SBR it was the same.We had Woodgate who was playing with clowns like Dabizas,O'Brien,Hughes...

Its strange that you still cant understand that the strong defence wins you things.Thats not my words.Sir Alex Ferguson said that long time ago=Good defenders wins you trophies

I'd prefer pace up front rather than viduka. If we could afford him , I'd like Darren Bent to play up front with Owen if Valencia give us a sizeable fee.

Darren Bent would offer us nothing more than Martins imo.

Guest alex

Darren Bent would offer us nothing more than Martins imo.

And we'd pay way over the odds because he's English etc. I'd rather keep what we've got and get someone like Viduka in.

oh dear.

If the board have the money, and don;t back their manager and his judgement and recommendations, they are a s**** board.

Btw im surprised that you dont think that defenders are as important as strikers.

You said that you support Newcastle long time ago.Can you tell me then why did we lose the title in 95/96 season,also under SBR we were close too.Why?

Under KK we had great team,great strikers,great midfielders,and....average/poor defence.

Under SBR it was the same.We had Woodgate who was playing with clowns like Dabizas,O'Brien,Hughes...

Its strange that you still cant understand that the strong defence wins you things.Thats not my words.Sir Alex Ferguson said that long time ago=Good defenders wins you trophies

we came 2nd in the league. We conceded less than a goal a game.

Everton won the FA Cup in 1995 yet conceded 4 more goals than we did in the league. How do you explain this ? And its only one example.

There are numerous reasons why NUFC didn't win the league that year, but it was not down to having a "bad" defence. We did come 2nd because we had a great attack. Please tell me when we last had an attack like this and finished 2nd [repeated the following year after a more defensive minded manager took over], and then the following year with the same manager, dived down the league and finished 13th, yet conceded more goals ?  Why was this ?

I'm not repeating this again to you. In my opinion, based on watching the club and evaluating the players, the performance of the team is very weak from an attacking point of view. We have conceded possession in forward positions and been put under pressure too often as a consequence. This must improve - a lot - if we are to move up the league.

Guest alex

One of the biggest myths going about the Toon (perpetuated by lazy / clueless journalists) is that we had a poor defence in 95/96 and that cost us the league. Utter bollocks. We conceded two less goals than Man Utd. iirc but they scored a handful more (about 5 iirc). We lost our bottle in a few key fixtures (Liverpool and Blackburn away in particular) but we would have (deservedly) won the league if we'd gotten a draw at home against Man Utd. I reckon. A game we probably deserved to win.

One of the biggest myths going about the Toon (perpetuated by lazy / clueless journalists) is that we had a poor defence in 95/96 and that cost us the league. Utter bollocks. We conceded two less goals than Man Utd. iirc but they scored a handful more (about 5 iirc). We lost our bottle in a few key fixtures (Liverpool and Blackburn away in particular) but we would have (deservedly) won the league if we'd gotten a draw at home against Man Utd. I reckon. A game we probably deserved to win.

Aye, Schmeichael won them the league at SJP that year IMO.

oh dear.

we came 2nd in the league. We conceded less than a goal a game.

Everton won the FA Cup in 1995 yet conceded 4 more goals than we did in the league. How do you explain this ? And its only one example.

There are numerous reasons why NUFC didn't win the league that year, but it was not down to having a "bad" defence. We did come 2nd because we had a great attack. Please tell me when we last had an attack like this and finished 2nd [repeated the following year after a more defensive minded manager took over], and then the following year with the same manager, dived down the league and finished 13th, yet conceded more goals ?  Why was this ?

I'm not repeating this again to you. In my opinion, based on watching the club and evaluating the players, the performance of the team is very weak from an attacking point of view. We have conceded possession in forward positions and been put under pressure too often as a consequence. This must improve - a lot - if we are to move up the league.

Dont you consider the chance that we are weak from an attacking point of view not because we dont have the quality players but because our manager is too incompetent for this kind of job?