We don't need strikers...

Guest Knightrider

We need a f****** playmaker. Welcome to the real world Michael Owen, where you will be asked to jump 10ft high just to see the patch on the ball.

We need a quality striker and proper quality in the midfield. 37 goals scored tells it's own story and it's one that won't be fixed by signing a left back, no matter how much some people think it will.  :D

We need a f****** playmaker. Welcome to the real world Michael Owen, where you will be asked to jump 10ft high just to see the patch on the ball.

We need a quality striker and proper quality in the midfield. 37 goals scored tells it's own story and it's one that won't be fixed by signing a left back, no matter how much some people think it will.  :D

:lol:

Next year we've got a quality striker in Owen, and promising talent in Martins. Ameobi and to a lesser degree Carroll/Sibierski/Dyer can do a job. Agree on the midfield.

44 goals leaked tells another story, next year we have nobody whatsoever to play in the defence, never mind left back...

We've done this before though, so i'm going to be quiet now. ;)

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1812/yawnax6.jpg

Guest Jonny4Toon

A playmaker???

VAN DAR VAART - 10-15 MILLION

ARTETA - 15 MILLION

SNEIJDER - 20 MILLION

DIEGO - 9 MILLION - my prefered choice - Brazilian, quick feet, good pace and an eye for goal but he'll never come here. Too cold!

I agree that we need a dominant, fast, central midfielder - Milner was the only one who looked capable of that role last night, however, I believe he is more affective on the right wing! EMRE - not good enough. DYER - go! now!. SIBIERSKI - not good enough.

PARKER - better as a defensive midfielder and Roeder I think has piled too much pressure on him this season. Haven't seen enough of Sidwell to know what kind of midfielder he is?!?!?!?!?!

A playmaker???

ARTETA - 15 MILLION

SNEIJDER - 20 MILLION

DIEGO - 9 MILLION - my prefered choice - Brazilian, quick feet, good pace and an eye for goal but he'll never come here. Too cold!

I agree that we need a dominant, fast, central midfielder - Milner was the only one who looked capable of that role last night, however, I believe he is more affective on the right wing! EMRE - not good enough. DYER - go! now!. SIBIERSKI - not good enough.

PARKER - better as a defensive midfielder and Roeder I think has piled too much pressure on him this season. Haven't seen enough of Sidwell to know what kind of midfielder he is?!?!?!?!?!

VDV would be about £7-8m. That would be double what HSV paid.

A playmaker???

ARTETA - 15 MILLION

SNEIJDER - 20 MILLION

VDV would be about £7-8m. That would be double what HSV paid.

Yep, and Sneijder would be nowhere near 20 million, probably in the 7-8 million range.

Next year we've got a quality striker in Owen, and promising talent in Martins. Ameobi and to a lesser degree Carroll/Sibierski/Dyer can do a job. Agree on the midfield.

44 goals leaked tells another story, next year we have nobody whatsoever to play in the defence, never mind left back...

I don't count Ameobi, Carroll, Sibierski or Dyer as strikers because 3 of them have proven not to be good enough, we don't know about Carroll. We have no idea whether Owen will stay, let alone whether or not he will form a good partnership with another goalscorer like Martins. We definitely need a striker or strikers.

Oh, and 44 goals conceded isn't that bad.

Quite comical really! What we need is a new back line!!

That ginger lads goal was so easy, nobody around to take it off him...

See my previous post.

It's great the way some people jump on the latest bandwagon. Slagging the individual defenders is the current one, people mistakenly believing that if a team concedes goals it's all down to the defenders. Yes, they aren't great, but we could put 4 better individuals there and we will still concede goals because the midfield play is poor and we offer very little goal threat. I made the point the other day. Are Hughes, O'Brien, Dabizas and Elliott fantastic individuals? No, yet we finished 4th with that lot generally playing. Ask yourself why. If you need a clue, take a look at the goals scored column for 0102.

Tell me what's comical about scoring only 37 goals this season and tell me what's so poor about conceding just 44 that the club needs an entirely new defence. Take a look at some previous season's league tables as well.

Guest SLK

I don't count Ameobi, Carroll, Sibierski or Dyer as strikers because 3 of them have proven not to be good enough, we don't know about Carroll. We have no idea whether Owen will stay, let alone whether or not he will form a good partnership with another goalscorer like Martins. We definitely need a striker or strikers.

If we want to be challenging the top 4, we shouldn't be conceding more than 30 goals a season...If we get down to 25 a season then I think we can be a force to reckon with...

Those four are fantastic individuals compared to what we have now though HTL. They all had experience and were playing in natural positions. They pissed all over what we have now, and it's going to be even worse when Moore, Bramble and Gooch leave.

I think it's staggering to suggest the defence doesn't need a major rehaul.

To all the people who thinks we need strikers...

I guess it was  the strikers fault that we were eliminated by Az when we scored 4 goals in 37min in the 1st half of the 1st leg?

Some good defending and this game should have finished 4:0

I guess it was  the strikers fault that we were eliminated by Az when we scored 4 goals in 37min in the 1st half of the 1st leg?

A LEFT BACK and the second half may have finished 0-0 aswell. Never mind though it should be expected to score more than 4 past a team to win 2 legs. If we scored 6 past Birmingham we would have got further in the cup aswell! 

I doubt anyone doesn't know we need a Forward who can hold the ball up and actually head it in a useful direction.

We all know we need more creativity in the CM position.

It's obvious to everyone that we need defenders, a proper RB and LB and CB.

Surely no-one disagress with the above.

So it's a question of prioritisation.

We can all offer an opinion but we don't know what budget we have, we don't know who's available and at what price.

You have to get value for money, Fwd's and creative CM'c are generally more expensive or higher wages if on a free. When the manager looks at who he can get he'll have to decide who can offer more for the team for the money paid.

It might be that no CF or CM who could really make a difference are available or who want to come. In that case you spend it on the defence or visa versa.

No-one can say what position would make the most difference to the points tally.

Guest magpies_rawk

A playmaker???

ARTETA - 15 MILLION

SNEIJDER - 20 MILLION

FM 2007 Prices tbh!!! :D

Emre is decent enough imo but he's not tough enough for this league (we see him rolling on the ground clutching some part of his body after every tackle on him).

Who we are looking for  depends on who we are going to keep as our first choice CM. Assuming that its Captain Parker we are keeping, I suppose the key characteristic we should be looking for a midfielder is some one who can create chances and as a bonus do some running off the ball to nick some occasional goals. The same should apply to Butt as well.

Come to think of it, we do need more creativity in midfield and if we cannot find a decent CM who can provide us with that, we could possibly look into getting a tricky right winger to share the workload with Milner.

I do however agree with some of us here that defence should be a priority (we don't have half-decent full backs for goodness' sake!), with creativity in attack coming a very close second.

Those four are fantastic individuals compared to what we have now though HTL. They all had experience and were playing in natural positions. They pissed all over what we have now, and it's going to be even worse when Moore, Bramble and Gooch leave.

I didn't say we didn't need defenders, just that we need a striker, or strikers, and a CM first.

No

I didn't say we didn't need defenders, just that we need a striker, or strikers, and a CM midfielder first.

No

Guest Knightrider

I'll raise ya, I only count Taylor as a good enough defender, and even then he isn't the greatest in the world and ideally, he'd be learning his trade under someone who is.

So that's - Strikers: 1 top striker, 1 with potential who has already managed 17 goals in a shit side, 1 striker who is a good squad player, Carroll who may or may not be useful and if we are really desperate, Dyer who can just about do a job there against the odd opposition.

Defenders: Taylor

Nobby has been brillianbt at RB but he's getting on now and I'd prefer a proper RB. The rest are useless.

How anyone can say we need strikers ahead of defenders is beyond me but there you go.

Anyway this is all daft, we could have the world's best striker, midfielder and defender playing for us but if they aren't being managed and coached right, means nowt.

and we failed to score against the smoggies, charlton, man city and wigan because ?

You and others can spout these one off statistics as much as you like, but my opinion - and one or two others I suspect - is borne out of watching and looking at the pattern of the team, the shape, and weaknesses in their general style of play and performance in games.

It is a fact that Martins and Owen are the only 2 good strikers we have. And it is extremely doubtful if they will play together. Therefore we need one top striker, at least.

That doesn't even begin to address the lack of support the front players are getting from the central midfield players.

Forwards and strikers cost money, and unlike left back, the demands of the position at this top level is such that you can't simply "fill in" with someone not used to it or good enough.

Really, I am surprised you are still harping on about this, especially after those 4 games I mentioned.

is that you Jon ?

and we failed to score against the smoggies, charlton, man city and wigan because ?

You and others can spout these one off statistics as much as you like, but my opinion - and one or two others I suspect - is borne out of watching and looking at the pattern of the team, the shape, and weaknesses in their general style of play and performance in games.

It is a fact that Martins and Owen are the only 2 good strikers we have. And it is extremely doubtful if they will play together. Therefore we need one top striker, at least.

That doesn't even begin to address the lack of support the front players are getting from the central midfield players.

Forwards and strikers cost money, and unlike left back, the demands of the position at this top level is such that you can't simply "fill in" with someone not used to it or good enough.

Really, I am surprised you are still harping on about this, especially after those 4 games I mentioned.

Full backs cost money aswell, well if you want good ones anyway!

is that you Jon ?

Aye why?

Full backs cost money aswell, well if you want good ones anyway!

good strikers and midfield players cost more. Always have done, always will do.