Bad striker buys. (Might be a positive thread be careful).

Parky

Martins has been a good signing, but will always be inconsistent imo. I don't see where this dramatic improvement in finishing, first-touch, holding the ball up, etc. is going to dramatically come from. If he didn't learn that at Inter playing with, and under, the likes of Crespo, Vieri & Mancini, what chance has he got?

I think he will always be a frustrating player but he is still plenty young enough to improve on the basic aspects of the game. Important thing is he has immense pace and good finishing with the ability to score from all over the pitch. He does seem a confidence player though but this could also be a positive if we can sort out the rest of the team. If the team in general is in a slump he doesn't seem the sort to take us by the grasp of the neck and pull us through though.

Is his finishing really that good? Yeah he scores goals, but he misses a heck of a lot of simple chances too.

Going simply by stats (Aye not always the best way to judge) he scores a goal just over every 4 shots he takes(im the premiership). This is quite a good ratio in the league and considering he likes the odd 25+ yard hit and hope it makes it look a little better.

He is a bit hit and miss but his goal to game ratio isn't too bad either.

I have no doubts over the long term he will be a better bet than Kalou.

Based on?

My god given ability to judge players and the fact that Kalou has the heart of Bambi.

Based on?

My god given ability to judge players and the fact that Kalou has the heart of Bambi.

You shoudl be on your way to south america instead of that idiot mouth-breather Clark! ;)

I think there's still a few question marks about Kalou. You do see the occasional sign of a good player. Possibly he's a bit overawed at Chelsea and would do better somewhere else.

I think Kuyt's well and truly proved himself though. I'd swap him for Martins in a flash.

Based on?

You shoudl be on your way to south america instead of that idiot mouth-breather Clark! ;)

blueyes.gif

I don't think it is clear yet, on either count. I rate Kuyt and I think Kalou will turn out to be a good player too. And I'm by no means convinced by Martins who despite probably keeping us up with his goals is vastly overrated by many imo.

Not convinced by Martins!!111 :lol:

I personally think Anelka has been the best value in recent striker purchases.

Benny Mc Carthy was the best buy this season on goals/price paid.

I don't think it is clear yet, on either count. I rate Kuyt and I think Kalou will turn out to be a good player too. And I'm by no means convinced by Martins who despite probably keeping us up with his goals is vastly overrated by many imo.

Too skinny.

Too skinny.

I think Martins is actually a bit limited and now that Owen is back, we should look to move him on for a decent offer (ie get our money back) Do it now before it becomes obvious to everyone.

I agree with senor Benitez

Dirk Kuyt

Benitez hails Kuyt display

By Lewis Rutledge -  Created on 2 May 2007

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has paid tribute to Dirk Kuyt for his performance in the Champions League semi-final with Chelsea.

The Dutch striker was a constant menace as he hit the bar, forced Petr Cech into a superb save and saw a goal controversially ruled out for offside.

Kuyt then scored the penalty that gave Liverpool an unassailable 4-1 lead in the shoot-out and secured their place in the final.

Benitez praised: "We always talk about Kuyt in terms of scoring goals, but that is only part of his game. He is a striker who is also a very good worker and he can control defenders around him with his effort and running.

"It is really important to have a striker like him. I know he was tired in extra-time but I did not consider taking him off.

"Then I got Robbie Fowler, mainly to take the last penalty, on and we asked Kuyt to play as a winger, and he could do that even at that stage.

"But I knew that Kuyt was capable of such efforts.

"Dirk hit the bar, forced Cech into a great save and then scored another, even if it was ruled out. The (offside) decision was very, very tight and I felt he was in line.

"It was important for him to score the winning penalty, a perfect end for him."

Benitez believes he was right to spend a reported £9million on Kuyt to prise him away from Feyenoord last summer.

He explained: "I know there was some surprise at the time we bought him because of the fee. But I was always confident in him.

"At the time I remember wanting to sign two players but we only had the money for one, and I just said `sign the striker, I want Kuyt'.

"I had confidence in him then and still do."

Kuyt was delighted to score from the penalty spot after seeing his goal disallowed in normal time.

"It was a great feeling to score the winning goal. Our defenders controlled the game, and the only thing Chelsea did was play long balls," he said.

"I thought I was onside for the goal not given. But in the end it does not matter. We have reached the final and that is what it is all about."

Guest alex

Kuyt is basically an uglier, longer haired version of Dean Ashton (which isnt a bad thing).

Kuyt works a bit harder for the team though.

Kuyt is basically an uglier, longer haired version of Dean Ashton (which isnt a bad thing).

Kuyt works a bit harder for the team though.

Not sure about that, from what I have seen of Ashton he works very hard. In the champions he went 10 games without scoring a goal but was MOM pretty much every game due to his hard work.

I think Kuyt's well and truly proved himself though. I'd swap him for Martins in a flash.

I agree but at that time pace was needed up front and Martins was probably the right option .......but right now I'd swap Martins for Kuyt also as they'd be a better combination IMO.....but that debate has well discussed

Guest BigAl2

Kuyt is a fantastic player there is so much more to him than scoring goals his work rate is second to none!

I bet his team mates really appreciate him, I would love to see him play for Newcastle (not going to happen I know)

How anyone can suggest that he has been a failure is beyond me!

Kuyt is a fantastic player there is so much more to him than scoring goals his work rate is second to none!

I bet his team mates really appreciate him, I would love to see him play for Newcastle (not going to happen I know)

How anyone can suggest that he has been a failure is beyond me!

At Liverpool he's scored ONE more goal than Martins. He is 4/5 years older and he has NO pace. Liverpool have struggled all season with their lacklustre forward line. He will NOT be first choice next term.

At Liverpool he's been in a rotation policy. Martins has been the only choice pretty much all season.

FYP ;)

Like may Dutch forwards/wingers he is wildly overated mainly cause he scored a hatful of goals in a weak league. We will see, but I think Martins will score more (Owen you can bet your house on it) than Kalou or Kuyt next year. Kuyt overall game is better than Martins but he has no 'X' factor.

Martins has often scored when we were getting pummeled for posession and had no control of matches. I don't think he will ever have a first touch or develop the awareness of Anelka, but he will get his share of goals.

At Liverpool he's been in a rotation policy. Martins has been the only choice pretty much all season.

FYP ;)

Like may Dutch forwards/wingers he is wildly overated mainly cause he scored a hatful of goals in a weak league. We will see, but I think Martins will score more (Owen you can bet your house on it) than Kalou or Kuyt next year. Kuyt overall game is better than Martins but he has no 'X' factor.

Martins has often scored when we were getting pummeled for posession and had no control of matches. I don't think he will ever have a first touch or develop the awareness of Anelka, but he will get his share of goals.

Thats a huge reason why I think Martins has done as well (if not better) than a lot of other strikers we could have got this season. If he had a striker who has to rely on service to get a lot of their goals we would have been buggered and if we signed a striker who is creative and needs someone to feed off their clever football we would have been fucked.