The Academy

Martin Lol

Guest Morph

Wharton is up there with Alan Irvine for me as a person who has put our youth system backwards.

How are you in a position to say that?  Have you been through the academy yourself?  Have you been to countless academy sessions?  Have you spoke to Wharton about the work he is doing and what his future plans our for our acadmey?  no, thought not.

My mate is/was the academy captain. He said the academy is a joke.

One of my mates is a goalie with the academy, said there's nowt wrong with it, only thing he doesn't like is when Pavel comes to train them, he recons he's the worst coach he's ever had.

Guest hagler

wharton and beardsley were both cleared by the fa

Cleared by The FA mackems.gif 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/wear/2959232.stm

Beardsley cleared of bullying

Former England and Newcastle soccer star Peter Beardsley has been cleared of bullying two young Newcastle United players.

A Football Association Premier League inquiry began after claims by the youngsters that they were picked on and intimidated by the Tyneside hero.

The former Newcastle United and England striker had been at the centre of allegations made by youth players James Beaumont and Ross Gardner, who both want to leave the club.

Beardsley and his boss, youth academy director Kenny Wharton, had been accused of picking on players and singling them out for unfair treatment.

But a tribunal, set up by the FA Premier League, found in their and Newcastle United's favour and upheld an appeal against both players, terminating their contracts.

The panel said Wharton and Beardsley had not acted in such a way as to breach the players' contractual arrangements with the club.

Newcastle United said the decision clearly vindicated the support given to Kenny Wharton and Peter Beardsley by the club.

How are you in a position to say that?  Have you been through the academy yourself?  Have you been to countless academy sessions?  Have you spoke to Wharton about the work he is doing and what his future plans our for our acadmey?  no, thought not.

The club don't rate him highly enough to give him the top at the Academy, he along with Peter Kirkley tried to get the job after Brian Eastwick left. He doesn't have any plans for the future as he is the coach of the U18 team, he will input though The plans are made by Joe Joyce who has done an excellent job as head of the Academy in his first season, links with local boys clubs re-established, number of pre-academy coachs doubled.  

Guest Knightrider

I think most academies are a joke in football, instead of looking for skill and technique, they look for physical attributes and things like pace and energy. You have to look at the likes of Ramage and wonder how he's made it so far on limited ability. That said, how hard must it be to run an academy and run it well? Damn hard I'm sure so I won't be too critical, especially as ours is quite standard with others'.

I think most academies are a joke in football, instead of looking for skill and technique, they look for physical attributes and things like pace and energy.

Spot on!!!!

Nothing highlights it better than this link, when a Leeds team with big lads beat some short arse gimps from Manchester. http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFAYouthCup/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2006/02/FAYouthCup_Leeds93.htm

Guest smoggeordie

Wharton is up there with Alan Irvine for me as a person who has put our youth system backwards.

One of my mates is a goalie with the academy, said there's nowt wrong with it, only thing he doesn't like is when Pavel comes to train them, he recons he's the worst coach he's ever had.

Nowt to be proud of. Both Cook and Forster are fucking shit.

Before or after he was released?

:lol:

Guest TheOrder

Before or after he was released?

:lol:

Throughout.

• 1 year later...
Guest Heneage

OOOOH U GOTZ ME.

Who the fuck are you sorry ? Nah just yanking your wee chain.

I'll explain myself, I went to school with 2 of our current academy, I was in town and bumped into one of them and just got talking to him about how it was all going, being quite relaxed, he said he was pissed off. He said the foreign lads are on large contracts that are totally unjustifyable as they are no better than their Geordie counterparts, he said Zamblera was very very much a token Wise signing to justify his position the "Big Italian Striker" who really is quite poor but is on 4 year deal already with potential to earn 6k, (His performances have been discredited by those who watch reserves on here to prove im not chatting shit).

As for those that make the bench it was a case of KK picking his favourites and those on the contracts, like Ranger, who while being a good player apparently is not a great finisher, Baheng is under-rated and very good, but by n large its the boys on the big contracts who get picked for the bench irrespective of performance or ability.

Now he has been and still is at the academy so knows the crack.

Could well be. But some points he makes i.e. Zamblera have been concurred on here as well as NUFC.com who say he has been poor.

He has been poor at times but he is clearly talented and has potential, it's been a very big move for him and it is no surprise he is homesick and unsettled.

I still think its weird to put such young lads on big contracts.

It's always going to be the case that young kids brought in from other clubs, especially abroad, are going to be on bigger contracts than 1st and 2nd year home grown academy players.

Well, I must say, I go to school with Dean Critchlow's brother, (Critchlow got released at the end of Roeder's full season) and at no point, during or after his release did he have a bad word to say about the Academy or any of the coaches.