The Academy

Martin Lol

• 3 weeks later...

I have been thinking this for a while, but are we fighting a losing battle trying to improve the academy?

I was at the Newcastle v Blackburn reserve game on Monday night and the only player to impress for Newcastle was Tim Krul (Netherlands U21) who pulled off some great saves. Blackburn had Alan Judge (RoI U21) who impressed and Marcus Marshall who (English uncapped) impressed to a lesser extent, he played like a typical English target man. Apart from these players I couldn't see anyone who I thought straight away would play Premiership football.

There are players at Newcastle like Doninger, Morris and Lough who although they may have featured in the past during pre-season or a little involvement on the bench haven't looked like breaking into the first team. Maybe its a case of getting them out on loan, but what happens if clubs don't what them on loan and prefer to opt for the experienced league players instead or an injury hit club like Newcastle can't afford to let them go, but don't feel they can bring them on? Reserve football is becoming a slight step up from youth football, but a mile away from senior football. The players stagnate and don't get much experience before being thrown in the deep end to either swim or sink.

We have brought in a few foreign players, which could be detrimental to the national team, but improve Newcastle. Out of those players Ngo Baheng and Tamas Kadar looked impressive, but both have been hit by injury. I haven't saw Soderberg or Zamblera play yet, who knows how they wil turn out. It could be a case of shifting the dead wood and focusing more on the development of these players. Would people prefer to see foreign youth brought in ala Arsenal instead of the homegrown youngsters?

I know that there is a few on here who know a bit more about other set ups/players at other clubs so I won't go into that, but have Newcastle still got the reputation that it isn't a good club for a young player to go to? It did a few years ago when promising players from the area, even 10 minutes from the training ground, joined other clubs instead because of the way Newcastle went about things.

Guest michaelfoster

How many scouts does the club have? I remember seeing Mills left for the Boro a few years back ?

Wise

Fucillo (Head Scout)

Vetere

Longoria

Halom

Mcmenemy

Saxton

But has it not always been the case that a tiny proportion of youth team and reserve players make it to the top level?

We're talking about premiership football here, as well as the influx of established foreign players to the 'best league in the world'.

No matter how much we invest in the academy, it is always going to be massively unlikely that we will produce any star players. From a player's point of view you'd almost be better off not being at a premiership academy, and just making the first team of a lower league or foreign club.

I'm surprised more talented English youngsters don't realise that they should try to head over to Europe at about 8 and get picked up from there later!

The daughter of Diego Maradona is pregnant by the Argentinian star Sergio Aguero, and they have just announced today that the child will be a boy.

This has led to much speculation, that if genetics are anything to go by, he will be a superstar of the future, and the President of Atletico Madrid, Enrique Cerezo has said "He will be our youngest signing ever!"

Anyone know if any FIFA regs are broken if we signed a kid before he was born?

• 3 months later...

OOOOH U GOTZ ME.

Who the f*** are you sorry ? Nah just yanking your wee chain.

I'll explain myself, I went to school with 2 of our current academy, I was in town and bumped into one of them and just got talking to him about how it was all going, being quite relaxed, he said he was pissed off. He said the foreign lads are on large contracts that are totally unjustifyable as they are no better than their Geordie counterparts, he said Zamblera was very very much a token Wise signing to justify his position the "Big Italian Striker" who really is quite poor but is on 4 year deal already with potential to earn 6k, (His performances have been discredited by those who watch reserves on here to prove im not chatting s***).

As for those that make the bench it was a case of KK picking his favourites and those on the contracts, like Ranger, who while being a good player apparently is not a great finisher, Baheng is under-rated and very good, but by n large its the boys on the big contracts who get picked for the bench irrespective of performance or ability.

Now he has been and still is at the academy so knows the crack.

I was reading the Kadar thread and searched for the academy. Ranger not a great finisher :lol: How is Zamblera doing?

We seem to be performing well at this level and have recently won the derby reserve game 2-1 with Godsmark continuing his fine form in 2009 so far.

Guest toonlass

Wharton is up there with Alan Irvine for me as a person who has put our youth system backwards.

How are you in a position to say that?  Have you been through the academy yourself?  Have you been to countless academy sessions?  Have you spoke to Wharton about the work he is doing and what his future plans our for our acadmey?  no, thought not.

My mate is/was the academy captain. He said the academy is a joke.

One of my mates is a goalie with the academy, said there's nowt wrong with it, only thing he doesn't like is when Pavel comes to train them, he recons he's the worst coach he's ever had.

Nowt to be proud of. Both Cook and Forster are fucking shit.

Okaaaayyyyy?!? I know this was back in 2007 but its a good job this lad doesn't work in football at all. Bet he didn't see Forster being on the bench for the toon.

Wharton is up there with Alan Irvine for me as a person who has put our youth system backwards.

How are you in a position to say that?  Have you been through the academy yourself?  Have you been to countless academy sessions?  Have you spoke to Wharton about the work he is doing and what his future plans our for our acadmey?  no, thought not.

One of my mates is a goalie with the academy, said there's nowt wrong with it, only thing he doesn't like is when Pavel comes to train them, he recons he's the worst coach he's ever had.

just cause hes on the bench for us, doesn't mean he is any good

Nowt to be proud of. Both Cook and Forster are f***ing s***.

Okaaaayyyyy?!? I know this was back in 2007 but its a good job this lad doesn't work in football at all. Bet he didn't see Forster being on the bench for the toon.

Guest Heneage

Bloke at work goes to the reserves most weeks and says hes a decent keeper but nothing brilliant, Krul far exceeds him in potential.

Guest toonlass

Bloke at work goes to the reserves most weeks and says hes a decent keeper but nothing brilliant, Krul far exceeds him in potential.

Aye but decent is not "fucking shit" is it?

Guest Heneage

Aye but decent is not "f***ing s***" is it?

Yeah true its a bit OTT, but he won't make it here.