Allardyce set to be appointed - 5 live report

Guest Hibbits left foot

HP's just hit the nail on the head I think. He's not as good as everyone seems to be thinking. It's all wishful thinking on our part. He IS good, and definitely better than our previous two managers but he's still a small-time manager who hasn't proved that he's able to manage a 'big' club. I know we'll improve with him but I don't think we're going to be competing for a Champions League spot in a year or two as some posts seem to be inferring.

Anyhow, how much time are people willing to give him then? Hopefully Freddy won't sign him to a ridiculously long contract and give him something more sensible like a 3-year deal. I'll give him a year to show that he's changed the way our football is played, and then one more year to show an improvement in terms of league position/cup runs. We knew, after a year, that Roeder was shite and he can't coach the players, which is why I reckon a year is enough for Big Sam to show that he's able to coach the players. Even if we're unsuccessful, as long as he's making his mark on the team, I'd continue with him because he has big ideas.

Lets hope he's successful though, this might be our last chance to push ourselves up into the next echelon for years.

I agree with what you're saying there.

I also agree with your comment abouot the post from HF http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=39630.msg813656#msg813656

It is factual and very good.

SSN Big Sam - "I'm not joiining Newcastle"

SORRY, could'nt help it :D who paniced?

I had a moment of relief, truth be told.

:D was it a kind of "oh well all that speculation will stop" moment ??

SSN Big Sam - "I'm not joiining Newcastle"

SORRY, could'nt help it :D who paniced?

I had a moment of relief, truth be told.

:D was it a kind of "oh well all that speculation will stop" moment ??

No, more of a "now we can get the RIGHT man for the job, not just a BETTER man than the last one" moment.

HP's just hit the nail on the head I think. He's not as good as everyone seems to be thinking. It's all wishful thinking on our part. He IS good, and definitely better than our previous two managers but he's still a small-time manager who hasn't proved that he's able to manage a 'big' club. I know we'll improve with him but I don't think we're going to be competing for a Champions League spot in a year or two as some posts seem to be inferring.

Anyhow, how much time are people willing to give him then? Hopefully Freddy won't sign him to a ridiculously long contract and give him something more sensible like a 3-year deal. I'll give him a year to show that he's changed the way our football is played, and then one more year to show an improvement in terms of league position/cup runs. We knew, after a year, that Roeder was shite and he can't coach the players, which is why I reckon a year is enough for Big Sam to show that he's able to coach the players. Even if we're unsuccessful, as long as he's making his mark on the team, I'd continue with him because he has big ideas.

Lets hope he's successful though, this might be our last chance to push ourselves up into the next echelon for years.

I don't think Shepherd is in a particularly good bargaining position here. Allardyce is clearly the strongest available candidate, and Shepherd surely wouldn't dare to unveil another Souness / Roeder style appointment. He has to go all out to get Allardyce.

I disagree that we should only offer Allardyce a short contract until he proves himself. It's time to make a proper, long-term commitment. Besides, Allardyce has already proved himself as a coach. In order to land his man, Shepherd has to demonstrate that he really wants him on board. If Allardyce senses that he's a stop-gap, then I don't think he'll come.