Allardyce set to be appointed - 5 live report

Guest Hibbits left foot

He doesn't use Prozone stats to decide who to pick or drop man :lol:

Not sure why you think its funny - He loves that system and relies heavily upon it to tell him who is performing and who is not.

He uses it as an aid but im sure he doesn't use it directly to tell him who to pick each game :lol:

:lol:

But can you imagine it?

Parky will be on later to tell us all this is clear proof that robots are taking over the world.

Underneath that skin of his, is the S100 - the Saminator, sent forward from the 80s to destroy football with the long ball game. That's why he wears those headphones.

Best post you've ever made. :lol:

I loved that bit too.  :lol:

Quality. mackems.gif

Some responses in this thread are amazing.

I can't believe people are criticizing the possible appointment of Sam, who was a candidate for the England job at the beginning of the season.

The same Sam who has pulled Bolton up from nothing much, on a very small budget, with some very very average players into a position where they are better that "top 4" us.

His team was a hard-working, fit and defensively sound basing their success on a resolute defence. Perhaps, at times going forward they had a little to be desired however Sam had only a little to play with and he turned this to his advantage. It is a large myth that they are a long ball team and at times play some good football. Their set pieces are well worked and often deliver. A backroom staff with actual jobs using the latest ideas to get results.

Now lets look at us. Huge crowd, large finances, big name INDIVIDUALS but no TEAM. Defensively a joke and have been for a long, long time. Going forward we have been impotent at best. Watching our "football" has been hard for a while, players lumping it long to a front line of midgets, oba leaping like a salmon, winning it, then nodding it to no one. Midfielders playing in "positions" but never fulfilling their role. A couple of great individual moments have provided our goals this season, Martins/Milner catalysing anything good we have to offer. Set pieces often not making it past the first defender(Especially corners). A Backroom staff of old timers with no actual qualifications or defined role.

Now maybe I am getting ahead of myself but I can not wait for Sam to take over and work with this side. We still have potential and Sam is the man to get it out of us.

Bringing over Nolan, Tal Ben Haim and Gudjohnson would be a great start for sure.

C'mon Sam! :headbang: :glasses7:

Freddy Shepherd has done excellently over the past 48 hours.

Magnificent work.

Although there are a few better candidates, we don't know for sure that they would be willing to join, and there is no guarantee of success.

Even if Allardyce fails, people wont be able to hold this appointment against Freddy Shepherd.

The thing is, the Board has appointed managers with better records than Allardyce who have failed and it has been held against Fred.

How does this sound...

Even if Dalglish fails, people wont be able to hold this appointment against Freddy Shepherd.

Even if Gullit fails, people wont be able to hold this appointment against Freddy Shepherd.

I can assure you that if Allardyce is appointed and fails people on here will be blaming Fred for another s*** managerial appointment. You couldn't make it up.

And who has blamed Shepherd for Dalglish and Gullit failing here? Not many.

People blame Shepherd for appointing Souness and Roeder, two of the worst managers the Premiership has ever seen, don't let this get in the way of "everyone picks on poor fat Fred" bollocks.

Don't suggest that HTL is a hypocrite who accuses others of "making stuff up" and then goes and does the exact same thing later?

What am I making up?

There have been dozens of posts if not threads where many people have claimed the only good appointment by the Board was Robson, that the rest were shit appointments. As many have said when banging on about this, the buck stops with Fat "pie eater" Fred.

If this is not blaming Fred I'll be happy for you to enlighten me with an alternative meaning behind these comments made by many people over many months.

Great appointment as long as he gets full control of everything football related behind the scenes. Give him the funding required for improvements in the training facilities and technology, room in the wage budget to appoint the 20-30 coaches+scouts+fitness staff he requires, let him have the first and final say on who we sign, and everything should be alot rosier for us than in recent seasons.

Im only saying this because I dont believe hes the professor of neanderthal footballing style, the next Joe Kinnear, that alot of people are making him out to be. If he had the money, hed have signed Sorin as well as Anelka last summer, two very good footballers with the ball on the deck. Your Joe Kinnears dont do that, if he was a true advocate of long ball, hed have signed someone like Beattie, or some other lump of a forward, and he certainly wouldnt be signing an Argentinian wingback who admittedly is strong in the air, but is fundamentally a good playmaker on the deck and is great at building up the play from deep positions.

I think if he had the funding at Bolton, hed have the exact same system, but with significantly better footballers in the team - more Anelkas and Sorins in various positions - and as a result, theyd be a decent footballing side when on form on top of all the solidity and organisation, relying on individual skill to score goals, and a defensive, hard working one when struggling and the attacking "individual" players are off form. As HTT has said a million times over, and its a good point, this is what Chelsea and Liverpool are, and the reason why Bolton played long ball so aggressively until recently is because they dont have an array of international stars and great footballers in all of the key positions like Liverpool and Chelsea do.

Providing hes not undermined, this could be the renaissance weve been waiting for. Imagine an organised, disciplined Newcastle side, with a strong defence, but also with some quality attacking players, which our resources should ensure we have (probably have several already if Allardyce can bring the best out of some of the current lot). Hard to imagine, but I can see some rosy times ahead for us if Allardyce can do what he did with Bolton, but with better players due to better funding. Just have to hope that Shepherd doesnt undermine him the way he did Sir Bobby.

Surprisingly decent post apart from the usual and not needed snipes.

I can assure you that if Allardyce is appointed and fails people on here will be blaming Fred for another shit managerial appointment. You couldn't make it up.

Didn't you blame Souness for the signing Luque and Boumsong? Two players with CVs showing they had won stuff at their previous clubs, both international stars?

I can assure everyone if Allardyce is appointed and some of his signings fail, you'll be blaming him for more shit signings.

What a wank analogy.

Freddy Shepherd has done excellently over the past 48 hours.

Magnificent work.

Although there are a few better candidates, we don't know for sure that they would be willing to join, and there is no guarantee of success.

Even if Allardyce fails, people wont be able to hold this appointment against Freddy Shepherd.

The thing is, the Board has appointed managers with better records than Allardyce who have failed and it has been held against Fred.

How does this sound...

Even if Dalglish fails, people wont be able to hold this appointment against Freddy Shepherd.

Even if Gullit fails, people wont be able to hold this appointment against Freddy Shepherd.

I can assure you that if Allardyce is appointed and fails people on here will be blaming Fred for another s*** managerial appointment. You couldn't make it up.

OK, we give you Dalglish and Gullitt. Good appointments/managers who simply failed.

What about Souness and Roeder?

Whatever system of thought that Shepherd used to appoint Souness, an appointment which made us a national laughing stock with even the fans of the managers recent club howling in unison, it showed just how out of touch the man can be with the footballing world at times. Clearly, he has it in him to make disasterously bad decisions because the criteria he has for selecting the manager is faulty. If he thought Souness' CV was good on paper, then that was a faulty method of appointing the manager. What about his man management skills, and his ability to manage volatile players who usually happen to be the gifted ones? His success in the transfer market? His use of coaching methods? His tactical nous? His organisational abilities? The standard of backrom staff he requires, and the setup he wants alongside them? None of that will be on a CV, had he looked into those and looked at Souness' failures as well as his success', hed have come to the same conclusion that the rest of the country knew for a fact - Souness is a shiite manager and a big egotistical cunt to boot.

And then you have Roeder. A manager with a track record of relegation. Whilst the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea are appointing managers who have won trophies like the CL, UEFA Cup, La Liga, etc, we appoint a manager who has, for whatever reasons, taken down 3 small clubs at significantly lower levels, and never managed a side in Europe. Shepherd should have known that a good spell as caretaker means nothing, half the people on this forum could have told him that, just like plenty on here who used more common sense than sentiment considered Roeder a shiite appointment and an imminent failure.

There can be no excuses for Shepherd with the last 2 managerial appointments. He cocked up, he made serious blunders, he appointed managers that should never even have made the list for potential candidates, and as a result weve suffered and gone backwards. Nor can he be excused for undermining Sir Bobby Robon various times during his successful stint here as manager up until his daft sacking.

Hopefully, this appointment will be where he redeems himself as chairman. I dont think anyone would care much if he was using the club to line his own pockets to a degree as long as there is success on the pitch.

I stopped at "What about Souness and Roeder" because I've always said Souness was a shite appointment and I was against Roeder even being appointed as caretaker. Once he got that caretaker job it's fair to say he probably did enough for a stab in a permanent role, but it shouldn't have come to that in the first place. He's a youth team manager and that's his true level.

Any reason in particular why you then went into whatever else it is you've written given my known position on Souness and Roeder?

Guest Knightrider

I can assure you that if Allardyce is appointed and fails people on here will be blaming Fred for another shit managerial appointment. You couldn't make it up.

Didn't you blame Souness for the signing Luque and Boumsong? Two players with CVs showing they had won stuff at their previous clubs, both international stars?

I can assure everyone if Allardyce is appointed and some of his signings fail, you'll be blaming him for more shit signings.

What a wank analogy.

What a shit reply.

It is OK for you to blame a manager for shit signings, even though those signings came with a good reputation and a CV of success, players the manager wanted, yet it isn't OK for fans to blame a chairman for shit managers, even though those managers came with a good reputation and a CV of success, managers the chairman wanted?

Can you not spot the irony in your point of view? Or rather the sillyness of your whole argument?

What a wank analogy.

What a shit reply.

It is OK for you to blame a manager for shit signings, even though those signings came with a good reputation and a CV of success, players the manager wanted, yet it isn't OK for fans to blame a chairman for shit managers, even though those managers came with a good reputation and a CV of success, managers the chairman wanted?

Can you not spot the irony in your point of view? Or rather the sillyness of your whole argument?

No.

Guest Steven_MB

Didn't you blame Souness for the signing Luque and Boumsong?

what was wrong with Boumsong, the most successful player at the club in recent history, how many other players gained both a championship medal and a world cup runners-up medal while at NUFC, im surprised we weren't given trezuguet, along with that £3mn Juve gave us!

Some responses in this thread are amazing.

I can't believe people are criticizing the possible appointment of Sam, who was a candidate for the England job at the beginning of the season.

I've not read the whole thread so can't say if responses are amazing or not, but just because Sam was up for the England job it doesn't mean he's any good to Newcastle United.  The better man got that job, and look how it's turning out.

The same Sam who has pulled Bolton up from nothing much, on a very small budget, with some very very average players into a position where they are better that "top 4" us.

I don't understand the this paragraph.  "Top 4"? he's not got them above 6th.  he spent £12Million on Diouf and Anelka, not really average money.

His team was a hard-working, fit and defensively sound basing their success on a resolute defence.

:nope:

Bolton have conceded more Than us this year and have the worse goal difference in the top half

Perhaps, at times going forward they had a little to be desired however Sam had only a little to play with and he turned this to his advantage. It is a large myth that they are a long ball team and at times play some good football. Their set pieces are well worked and often deliver. A backroom staff with actual jobs using the latest ideas to get results.

Now lets look at us. Huge crowd, large finances, big name INDIVIDUALS but no TEAM. Defensively a joke and have been for a long, long time.

:nope:

Again, we've conceded less than Bolton this year without even four defenders at the back for most of the season.

Going forward we have been impotent at best. Watching our "football" has been hard for a while, players lumping it long to a front line of midgets, oba leaping like a salmon, winning it, then nodding it to no one. Midfielders playing in "positions" but never fulfilling their role. A couple of great individual moments have provided our goals this season, Martins/Milner catalysing anything good we have to offer. Set pieces often not making it past the first defender(Especially corners). A Backroom staff of old timers with no actual qualifications or defined role.

Now maybe I am getting ahead of myself but I can not wait for Sam to take over and work with this side. We still have potential and Sam is the man to get it out of us.

Bringing over Nolan, Tal Ben Haim and Gudjohnson would be a great start for sure.

C'mon Sam! :headbang: :glasses7:

Going forward we have been poor, but we have had £30M of strikers (And Shola Ameobi) on the bench most of the season.

Without Anelka's goals Bolton would have scored less than us too.

HP's just hit the nail on the head I think. He's not as good as everyone seems to be thinking. It's all wishful thinking on our part. He IS good, and definitely better than our previous two managers but he's still a small-time manager who hasn't proved that he's able to manage a 'big' club. I know we'll improve with him but I don't think we're going to be competing for a Champions League spot in a year or two as some posts seem to be inferring.

Anyhow, how much time are people willing to give him then? Hopefully Freddy won't sign him to a ridiculously long contract and give him something more sensible like a 3-year deal. I'll give him a year to show that he's changed the way our football is played, and then one more year to show an improvement in terms of league position/cup runs. We knew, after a year, that Roeder was shite and he can't coach the players, which is why I reckon a year is enough for Big Sam to show that he's able to coach the players. Even if we're unsuccessful, as long as he's making his mark on the team, I'd continue with him because he has big ideas.

Lets hope he's successful though, this might be our last chance to push ourselves up into the next echelon for years.

Guest graemeh72

Eidur Gudjohnsen is available in the summer, wonder if he'll try to sign him..

Cracking little shout that mind.

Aye, it was Allardyce who brought him to English football iirc.

I'll plump for Colin Todd being the manager that took him to Bolton

Eidur Gudjohnsen is available in the summer, wonder if he'll try to sign him..

Cracking little shout that mind.

Aye, it was Allardyce who brought him to English football iirc.

I'll plump for Colin Todd being the manager that took him to Bolton

Is the right answer.

Guest Christian Hayne

can someone inform me whats been going on since about 3.00pm today? as i have been unable to access the internet? thanks..

Guest smoggeordie

can someone inform me whats been going on since about 3.00pm today? as i have been unable to access the internet? thanks..

Freddy has eaten Greggs.

Guest Christian Hayne

ok thanks.. but whats this all about 5 live reporting sam allardyce has been appointed? anything in sky sports news?

ok thanks.. but whats this all about 5 live reporting sam allardyce has been appointed? anything in sky sports news?

The BBC reported it as being only a matter of time before he was appointed. Then they changed their story back to it being a possibility. Nobody else really ran with it.

HP's just hit the nail on the head I think. He's not as good as everyone seems to be thinking. It's all wishful thinking on our part. He IS good, and definitely better than our previous two managers but he's still a small-time manager who hasn't proved that he's able to manage a 'big' club. I know we'll improve with him but I don't think we're going to be competing for a Champions League spot in a year or two as some posts seem to be inferring.

I wouldn't disagree with this. However, I really don't think we're in much of a position to hire a manager who has proven he can manage a 'big' club well - for all this talk of Sven club football has changed drastically since he was involved.

The reason I'm quite pleased with the idea of Sam is that (I'd imagine similarly to most people) he's pretty much the best we could have hoped for, especially if he's installed as soon as it seems he will be. He's not ideal, but he has a lot of attributes and will hopefully take us in the right direction. If he can't at least get us going then fuck knows who could tbh.

Guest Christian Hayne

The BBC reported it as being only a matter of time before he was appointed. Then they changed their story back to it being a possibility. Nobody else really ran with it.

thanks

Great appointment as long as he gets full control of everything football related behind the scenes. Give him the funding required for improvements in the training facilities and technology, room in the wage budget to appoint the 20-30 coaches+scouts+fitness staff he requires, let him have the first and final say on who we sign, and everything should be alot rosier for us than in recent seasons.

Im only saying this because I dont believe hes the professor of neanderthal footballing style, the next Joe Kinnear, that alot of people are making him out to be. If he had the money, hed have signed Sorin as well as Anelka last summer, two very good footballers with the ball on the deck. Your Joe Kinnears dont do that, if he was a true advocate of long ball, hed have signed someone like Beattie, or some other lump of a forward, and he certainly wouldnt be signing an Argentinian wingback who admittedly is strong in the air, but is fundamentally a good playmaker on the deck and is great at building up the play from deep positions.

I think if he had the funding at Bolton, hed have the exact same system, but with significantly better footballers in the team - more Anelkas and Sorins in various positions - and as a result, theyd be a decent footballing side when on form on top of all the solidity and organisation, relying on individual skill to score goals, and a defensive, hard working one when struggling and the attacking "individual" players are off form. As HTT has said a million times over, and its a good point, this is what Chelsea and Liverpool are, and the reason why Bolton played long ball so aggressively until recently is because they dont have an array of international stars and great footballers in all of the key positions like Liverpool and Chelsea do.

Providing hes not undermined, this could be the renaissance weve been waiting for. Imagine an organised, disciplined Newcastle side, with a strong defence, but also with some quality attacking players, which our resources should ensure we have (probably have several already if Allardyce can bring the best out of some of the current lot). Hard to imagine, but I can see some rosy times ahead for us if Allardyce can do what he did with Bolton, but with better players due to better funding. Just have to hope that Shepherd doesnt undermine him the way he did Sir Bobby.

:clap:

I wouldn't disagree with this. However, I really don't think we're in much of a position to hire a manager who has proven he can manage a 'big' club well - for all this talk of Sven club football has changed drastically since he was involved.

The reason I'm quite pleased with the idea of Sam is that (I'd imagine similarly to most people) he's pretty much the best we could have hoped for, especially if he's installed as soon as it seems he will be. He's not ideal, but he has a lot of attributes and will hopefully take us in the right direction. If he can't at least get us going then fuck knows who could tbh.

This was the same logic a LOT of people applied to Roeder's appointment.  Hopefully it'll work out this time.

Those people who thinks Allardyce isnt the right choice must remember that 3 days ago our manager was Roeder.

Who is probably the worst manager in the Premiership.

Yes,Allardyce is not the best manager in the world but in the last couple of years he has shown that he is developing as a manager and he has reached his peak at Bolton.Now he is looking for bigger club and bigger challenge.

I think that he can become really good manager,he is developing and his work at Bolton should suggest that he will be success here.Of course there is nothing certain in football as in life.

There were managers like Hiddink,Koeman,Hitzfeld,Lippi,Ramos etc. mentioned. I also want Lippi but we all know that is not going to happen so lets be realistic.Allardyce's appointment is a good one and i hope he will succeed here.

Also we must give credit to Shepherd for acting so quickly and that finally he appointed the right man.

Good luck Sam O0 O0