Allardyce set to be appointed - 5 live report

Guest Hibbits left foot

Magpies set to appoint Allardyce 

Former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce will be the next Newcastle manager, BBC Radio Newcastle understands.

Glenn Roeder resigned as manager on Sunday after a disappointing season.

Allardyce, who resigned from his position as Bolton boss on 29 April, turned down the chance to manage the Magpies just under three years ago.

Roeder's number two Nigel Pearson, who will be assisted by Lee Clark and Terry McDermott, will take charge of Sunday's final game of the season at Watford.

Last year Allardyce was interviewed for the England managerial position following the exit of Sven-Goran Eriksson after the 2006 World Cup.

However, he was beaten to the job by Steve McClaren.

Allardyce pledged to focus on Bolton after missing out on a role he publicly stated he would "love", but resigned with two league games of the season remaining.

Under Allardyce, Bolton reached a League Cup final and in the past he has also guided the club to European football.

Roeder resigned on Sunday after he and chairman Freddy Shepherd had come under fire from fans after the home defeat by Blackburn on Saturday.

The 2-0 defeat by Rovers also meant Newcastle had the unenviable record of failing to score in a fifth successive home league game for the first time since 1951.

Newcastle, a club with debts of around £80m, are currently 13th in the Premiership.

Other candidates for the managerial position include former skipper Alan Shearer, although he has still to obtain the required coaching badges that the Premier League now insists managers must have before they can manage a club.

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes, Eriksson and Sevilla's Juande Ramos have also been linked with the vacancy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6632667.stm

Guest geordiebaz

The most amazing thing if true is for a change FFS got the timing of sacking and replacement correct for a change

Guest JamesD

[quote author=Dave link=topic=39642.msg813192#msg813192 date

=1178563899]

I thought that Beeb article had been up all day?

I think the one up earlier had less conclusive language, like, "newcastle are linked with allerdyce"

I really hope its true, makes a change to get a manager in with plenty of time ahead of the new season. I dont particularly like him as a person, but I think he will do well for us. First time since the appointment of Robson I feel I can honestly say I am 100% behind our manager.

[quote author=Dave link=topic=39642.msg813192#msg813192 date

=1178563899]

I think the one up earlier had less conclusive language, like, "newcastle are linked with allerdyce"

yeah, i think they're just updating the same article.

Agree.  Good news in my opinion.  Bolton are organised, well drilled, difficult to beat and there's a lot of misconception about their long ball game.  Aye they are direct but watched them v Villa a few weeks back and thought they played some good football on the deck. 

Guest maddog2

Tilting towards the against side.

I can't really see our current crop of players fitting into Sam's style of playing and I don't see why he would change his style of play suddenly. Mourinho had an unlimited budget and he still choose the same style he used at Porto. The only thing I can think he'll do is overhaul the squad and restrict the creative freedoms of most players excessively.

The entertainment value of our team is going to be sacrificed completely - that is for sure, we'll live only for the results.

But of course he could prove me wrong, and I hope I'm wrong because I wasn't wrong about Roeder. :|

Freddy Shepherd has done excellently over the past 48 hours.

Magnificent work.

Although there are a few better candidates, we don't know for sure that they would be willing to join, and there is no guarantee of success.

Even if Allardyce fails, people wont be able to hold this appointment against Freddy Shepherd.

I can't really see our current crop of players fitting into Sam's style of playing and I don't see why he would change his style of play suddenly. Mourinho had an unlimited budget and he still choose the same style he used at Porto. The only thing I can think he'll do is overhaul the squad and restrict the creative freedoms of most players excessively.

The entertainment value of our team is going to be sacrificed completely - that is for sure, we'll live only for the results.

But of course he could prove me wrong, and I hope I'm wrong because I wasn't wrong about Roeder. :|

Entertainment value?

Hasn't been very entertaining at all this season, we've been playing shite football, much worse than Bolton.

There has been absolutely no entertainment value in our teams for years. The reason our current crop of players might not be able to play the way Allardyce wants them to is because they aren't good enough anyway. Get them out.

I feel pretty nuetral about this appointment. I mostly think of the negatives of this appointment but there is one saving grace for Big Sam that I am clutching desperately at: Big Sam relies heavily on his ProZone system. In one respect its cowardice to rely on a mechanical measurement to say if players will start or not, but it also has given Allardyce the courage to drop players who are not performing. I am extremly confident that if ProZone is used at NUFC then Stephen Carr will never play a game again for us.

I would say the biggest weaknesses of KK and SBR were their blue chip brigade. No matter how poorly Bez played (costing us games say at Anfield) and how well Elliot did at the time, Bez would start because he was one of the lads. SBR had a similar situation with Dyer who would start no matter how poorly he played or petulent he would behave (I think its possible Dyer is SBR's illigitimate son - Dyer was born in Ipswich the same year SBR won the UEFA Cup for them). Anyway Big Sam does nto have this weakness... he has a very dispassionate character when it comes to team selection and by simply playing our best players in their best positions we may yet achieve success.

Guest Knightrider

I feel pretty nuetral about this appointment. I mostly think of the negatives of this appointment but there is one saving grace for Big Sam that I am clutching desperately at: Big Sam relies heavily on his ProZone system. In one respect its cowardice to rely on a mechanical measurement to say if players will start or not, but it also has given Allardyce the courage to drop players who are not performing. I am extremly confident that if ProZone is used at NUFC then Stephen Carr will never play a game again for us.

I would say the biggest weaknesses of KK and SBR were their blue chip brigade. No matter how poorly Bez played (costing us games say at Anfield) and how well Elliot did at the time, Bez would start because he was one of the lads. SBR had a similar situation with Dyer who would start no matter how poorly he played or petulent he would behave (I think its possible Dyer is SBR's illigitimate son - Dyer was born in Ipswich the same year SBR won the UEFA Cup for them). Anyway Big Sam does nto have this weakness... he has a very dispassionate character when it comes to team selection and by simply playing our best players in their best positions we may yet achieve success.

He doesn't use Prozone stats to decide who to pick or drop man :lol: