Allardyce set to be appointed - 5 live report

Guest Hibbits left foot

Thing is , cant imagine Sam leaving Bolton cos he works on a shoestring just to come here to do the same , Fred must have promised to splash the cash, so im looking forward to some good signings , why should we rule out Tevez? Gudjohnsen, Tevez, Owen seems like a fab front three to me!

Buying his contract from that third party company is reportedly costing West Ham in excess of £20m, I don't think we have the money for that, especially with Martins and Owen in the squad.

Eidur Gudjohnsen is available in the summer, wonder if he'll try to sign him..

Cracking little shout that mind.

Aye, it was Allardyce who brought him to English football iirc.

Colin Todd brought Gudjohnsen to Bolton in 98. Todd resigned in the early part of the 99/00 season after Per Frandsen was sold to Blackburn. Allardyce replaced him and worked with Gudjohnsen for 3/4 of season before he left to sign for Chelsea, during which time he was excellent. I don't think he'd say no.

Guest WalkervilleMag

I am fully behind his soon to be appointment.For me, he is the right man and the right time.

Forget all this crap that he will just turn us into a bunch of cloggers. He gets the job done with the resources available, and quite frankly we are in a diffrent league to Bolton in terms of Resources already in place and future resources ( Transfer funds , Youth ect).

only thing i am worried is that Freddy installs him as manager and gives him only about £10 million to spend.  New TV deal will push another £40 million + into the club per season, so i want at least £25 million transfer budget in the summer, and whatever we can get from the sales of Dyer, Carr, (2,3 million maybe)

Guest WalkervilleMag

100% behind it

Yea basically how i feel, I think SA is vastly underrated on here.

Just getting sick of hearing all the negative comments about him on here and sky sports ect. 

Guest Knightrider

100% behind it if it comes off, he was my second choice behind Hitzfeld last time round IIRC and someone I've rated since Sir Bobby's days. However, I'd advise against spending big sums in the transfer market. Big Sam is more than capable of bringing in good, cheap alternatives or short term fixes, and equally able to turn this current squad around to challenge the top 6. Instead I'd prefer it if the majority of the new TV money coming in went on debt which is a big worry and needs servicing.

Guest WalkervilleMag

and just a point for the people still wanting Hitzfeld. Since he has came back from his breakdown, he has taken Bayern from having a big chance of the title, to now maybe not even getting a champions league spot.

Guest andynufc84

Definately for.

He can come in this summer and have a real good look at the playing staff and see what needs improving. Think he will have an immediate effect on how we defend and the organisation of the team, also hopefully fetch in some new blood in the back four.

Its going to be a massive pre-season for Newcastle without a doubt, but there is plenty of time for things to be in place and ready to go for August. I think Freddy will back him in the transfer market, this will be one of his promises to tempt him here imo.

All if's and but's as he's not even here yet but I think he will be.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

and just a point for the people still wanting Hitzfeld. Since he has came back from his breakdown, he has taken Bayern from having a big chance of the title, to now maybe not even getting a champions league spot.

That's bullshit to be honest. When he joined them they were in crisis, and he has done quite well with them. Just recently their form has dipped but when he joined them they didn't have a big chance of getting the title and they will most likely get a CL spot.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

A point for the people still wanting Hitzfeld is that he would never fucking come here.

Completely for it, probably the best realistic appointment we could make with what he would do for the club.

Last edited by Wullie 07 May 2007 19:25

Just in case it goes tits up

Guest Knightrider

I'll tell you what, if any manager has the potential to become as good as Benitez and Mourinho et al, it is Big Sam, which is why I'm sold on him. Don't be fooled by his rough Northern exterior and media persona, he's no fool and highly ambitious. Everything that Rafa and Mourinho can do so can Big Sam. All he really lacks over those two is the experiences of managing big clubs and the success they've had, but that is something that will only ever come when he takes a big job and proves himself in that job which I personally think he will do, if not for us, another club.

Guest Nappy Rash

Against.

For anyone to succeed here they either need to win a trophy in the first Year (slight exaggeration like) or have a CV that demands they get time.

The fans are split on the Fat Mackem Bastard which means if it doesnt go swimmingly, there'll be a protest started on this very forum by the impatient Sky fans who'll all go from "for" to "against" quicker then you can say "Ill get you a McFlurry son, dont stamp your feet".

For me we need someone bigger than the club, bigger than the players and big enough to tell Fatty to keep out the football decisions.

We need someone who's CV screams out and demands they get the required time, Allardcyce's CV points out he's a shit Manager thats won fuck all ever.

All we're doing is maximising the chances of yet another failure.

I live in hope that Sods Law comes into it and the Mackem connection means he'll succeed when he finally gets appointed.

Guest WalkervilleMag

That's bullshit to be honest. When he joined them they were in crisis, and he has done quite well with them. Just recently their form has dipped but when he joined them they didn't have a big chance of getting the title and they will most likely get a CL spot.

9 points off a champions league spot. and the strain is starting to show on him yet again.

Guest STaylor87

If Allardyce secured Gudjohnsen, it would be a fantastic 1st buy!

Always rated him highly as a player, and seems to have done well everywhere he's been.

Guest andynufc84

If I was Shepherd I would also be getting assurances that he won't be buggering off to the England job when Baldwin is inevitabely sacked.