Berbatov to Man Ure

Skirge

Guest brewer

He's a very good player regardless whether he's worth whatever random pricetag the media put on his head.

Guest Knightrider

BTW if Man Utd do get him he'll be a direct replacement for Scholes and be used as the anchor between midfield and attack, with Rooney being adapted to centre-forward which Fergie has used him as quite a bit in the latter weeks of the season.

BTW if Man Utd do get him he'll be a direct replacement for Scholes and be used as the anchor between midfield and attack, with Rooney being adapted to centre-forward which Fergie has used him as quite a bit in the latter weeks of the season.

:lol: Didnt know Scholes was best at holding up the ball up front and bringing others into play.

If Man Utd do sign him and I think they have a chance, this will be a bad thing not only for Spurs but the rest of the league. Mind, at what price does 'NO' become a 'YES'?

For us though, Berbatov going to Man Utd would be great news.

I'd rather their coffers weren't boosted by an extra £30m tbh. A fit Saha will score 15 + goals anyway and while Berbatov is a very good player, he isn't the difference that seperates them from the rest of us like Shearer often was for us.

In which case, why is Berbatov going there a bad thing? Spurs having the extra £30m to strengthen would surely make it more exciting. As for the Shearer comment, think you over-estimate him there. Shearer wouldn't have had half the impact in say 2001-2 without Bellamy & Dyer's pace (second-half of the season), Robert & Solano's set-pieces & crossing, etc. Just look at him in the season before that when two of those weren't here and Dyer was out for the majority.

Guest Knightrider

If Man Utd do sign him and I think they have a chance, this will be a bad thing not only for Spurs but the rest of the league. Mind, at what price does 'NO' become a 'YES'?

I'd rather their coffers weren't boosted by an extra £30m tbh. A fit Saha will score 15 + goals anyway and while Berbatov is a very good player, he isn't the difference that seperates them from the rest of us like Shearer often was for us.

In which case, why is Berbatov going there a bad thing? Spurs having the extra £30m to strengthen would surely make it more exciting. As for the Shearer comment, think you over-estimate him there. Shearer wouldn't have had half the impact in say 2001-2 without Bellamy & Dyer's pace (second-half of the season), Robert & Solano's set-pieces & crossing, etc. Just look at him in the season before that when two of those weren't here and Dyer was out for the majority.

Spurs having an extra 30m to spend could see them really push on, this on top of money they will already have to spend. As for Shearer, yes it is a team game thing but for years he was the difference between us staying in the league or going out of it or the difference between us being a top 6 club or a mid-table one or just outside the top 6. He was a genuine world-class player - Berbatov isn't. Is Berbatov the difference for Spurs in that respect? I don't think so myself (just my opinion) as Defoe would get 15 + goals if he played every game. Keane is a bigger player for them, 20 odd goals and a good number of assists - not a better player of course, but he's contributed more to their mini rise.

If they sell Berbatov it just makes the gap bigger between them and where they should want to go...Premiership. Give the strongest force in English football your best player! makes sense?

Guest kingdawson

Dimitar Berbatov's agent has rejected speculation linking the player with a move away from Tottenham and says the Bulgarian is open to holding talks over a new deal at White Hart Lane.

Reports on Friday suggested Manchester United were preparing a massive player plus cash deal to lure Berbatov to Old Trafford.

Berbatov's future has been the subject of intense speculation for the last few months following his stellar displays this term for Tottenham.

The likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and United are all thought to be weighing up moves for the former Bayer Leverkusen man.

Spurs are keen to keep hold of the talented forward and are believed to be ready to offer Berbatov a lucrative new deal to persuade the player to stay.

Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev rejected the rumours of a possible move away and insists his client is happy to have talks over a new deal at White Hart Lane.

"I have seen the reports but it is all just speculation," Dantchev told skysports.com

"Nothing has changed - Dimitar is under contract at Tottenham.

"He is happy there and he has had a wonderful season.

"Dimitar is currently on his holidays and then he is away with the national team for some games.

"If Tottenham want to talk about a new deal we will be happy to have talks as everybody is happy at the moment."

Spurs having an extra 30m to spend could see them really push on, this on top of money they will already have to spend.

I don't know about that (Jol and Comoli) spending £8million on the likes of Kaboul and previously Zakora at £8 million and Jenas at £9 million does not suggest to me that they could spend the £27 million "well" and "push on" to break the "Big 4 Clubs".

Martin Jol is yet to prove he can buy two catalysts signings to compete and finish above the "Big 4 clubs" of Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal like Sir Bobby Robson did for us with (Robert and Bellamy).

I think losing Carrick in a similar scenario last Summer was a huge blow for Spurs aspirations of breaking the "Big 4 clubs" despite earning £17 million off of the deal I think it would be exactly the same were they to lose Berbatov for £27 million.

£27 million however i think would certainly help them to consistently finish in the Top 6 something they have done consecutively in the last two season for the first time in there Premiership history.

Guest Triglett

Spurs having an extra 30m to spend could see them really push on, this on top of money they will already have to spend. As for Shearer, yes it is a team game thing but for years he was the difference between us staying in the league or going out of it or the difference between us being a top 6 club or a mid-table one or just outside the top 6. He was a genuine world-class player - Berbatov isn't. Is Berbatov the difference for Spurs in that respect? I don't think so myself (just my opinion) as Defoe would get 15 + goals if he played every game. Keane is a bigger player for them, 20 odd goals and a good number of assists - not a better player of course, but he's contributed more to their mini rise.

Trust me, Berbatov IS the difference. He'll have a big say in 80-85% of our goals, guaranteed. We might have other good players, but he's what makes us tick...you can't just stick Mido or Defoe in and expect to see the same Spurs. He's single handedly brought out the best in all of his strike partners (Keane's been a massive improvement as a part of his relationship with Berbatov, not particularly as an individual), while his hold up play and unselfish performances have made a huge impact on the team as a whole. You might scoff, but even disregarding form and statistics (that's 23 goals and 17 assists in his first season as a foreign player btw), he's shown himself to be the complete player, and one of the top forwards around. Best striker in North London, quite possibly.

Fact is though, we're Spurs, and we're extremely lucky to have him. Will we be able to attract players of similar ability if we do let him go? I'm not sure we'd need that money to buy players that we otherwise couldn't.

Get away. Centre-forward man, with Rooney and Ronaldo behind him.

Fucking attack-line to die for.

Spurs having an extra 30m to spend could see them really push on, this on top of money they will already have to spend.

I don't know about that (Jol and Comoli) spending £8million on the likes of Kaboul and previously Zakora at £8 million and Jenas at £9 million does not suggest to me that they could spend the £27 million "well" and "push on" to break the "Big 4 Clubs".

Martin Jol is yet to prove he can buy two catalysts signings to compete and finish above the "Big 4 clubs" of Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal like Sir Bobby Robson did for us with (Robert and Bellamy).

I think losing Carrick in a similar scenario last Summer was a huge blow for Spurs aspirations of breaking the "Big 4 clubs" despite earning £17 million off of the deal I think it would be exactly the same were they to lose Berbatov for £27 million.

£27 million however i think would certainly help them to consistently finish in the Top 6 something they have done consecutively in the last two season for the first time in there Premiership history.

£27m would only get Spurs more of the same. Players too good for teams not challenging for European places but not good enough for the very top teams. Why? Because any top class player upon his club accepting a Spurs bid would look at them selling Carrick and Berbatov in consecutive seasons and think "No thanks, this club isn't going places"

Because any top class player upon his club accepting a Spurs bid would look at them selling Carrick and Berbatov in consecutive seasons and think "No thanks, this club isn't going places"

I think your assuming too much about the intelligence of footballers! They should be getting advised that though. Id assume the majority of money would be put the current robson route through paying extortionate fees for up and coming talent.

The problem is even if they are managing to maintain the players progress and they blossom, sales like this will only increase the trend, like mentioned bale will only be around a couple of seasons, like Carrick.

They will go around in circles, but at least they will be richer for it.

Guest Triglett

Well we're moving in the right direction, and that's the main thing. Once we break into the top 4, it should be a lot easier keeping hold of our best players and attracting more of a similar calibre. As I've said before, our finances are such that I doubt we'd be pressured to accept virtually any bid, even one such as the one mentioned, but we need to start achieving things if we're to convince our players that this is the place to be.

I do hold less hope for players like Bale though - I'm convinced he'll just use as a platform to showcase his talents before making the move to Utd in a season or two...if he makes it, that is. He could just turn out to be a disastrous £10m flop. Either way, we lose. I'd almost rather find a kid with decent prospects who's actually likely to solve our problem, long term, and forsake the potential £10m or so profit we could make on Bale in a few years time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gemmill
Dimitar Berbatov has revealed his admiration for Manchester United's array of stars, but insists he is happy at Tottenham.

The Bulgaria international has been a big hit in his debut season in the Premiership - scoring 12 league goals for the North Londoners.

The former Bayer Leverkusen ace has even been linked with move to the Premiership champions.

However, despite confirming his admiration for the likes of Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney, the popular striker is happy at White Hart Lane.

"I am a happy man in Tottenham," he told the Bulgarian newspaper Standart.

"The club gives me everything I need to feel nice with them, and I actually do. As for United, of course I like Sir Alex's team.

"Their style is attacking and pleasant to watch, and it coincides with my own style of playing football.

"(Ryan) Giggs, (Paul) Scholes and (Wayne) Rooney are fantastic players and Cristiano Ronaldo on the right side is a magician with the ball, he plays football from another planet.

"Of course, it would be a pleasure for me to play with these guys; they simply know how to have fun on the pitch."

Martin Jol (the poster) shifts uncomfortably in his seat as Berbatov sets the ball rolling. :cheesy:

Dimitar Berbatov has revealed his admiration for Manchester United's array of stars, but insists he is happy at Tottenham.

The Bulgaria international has been a big hit in his debut season in the Premiership - scoring 12 league goals for the North Londoners.

The former Bayer Leverkusen ace has even been linked with move to the Premiership champions.

However, despite confirming his admiration for the likes of Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney, the popular striker is happy at White Hart Lane.

"I am a happy man in Tottenham," he told the Bulgarian newspaper Standart.

"The club gives me everything I need to feel nice with them, and I actually do. As for United, of course I like Sir Alex's team.

"Their style is attacking and pleasant to watch, and it coincides with my own style of playing football.

"(Ryan) Giggs, (Paul) Scholes and (Wayne) Rooney are fantastic players and Cristiano Ronaldo on the right side is a magician with the ball, he plays football from another planet.

"Of course, it would be a pleasure for me to play with these guys; they simply know how to have fun on the pitch."

Martin Jol (the poster) shifts uncomfortably in his seat as Berbatov sets the ball rolling. :cheesy:

Man U will be untouchable next season at this rate!

I think it's probably fairer to see the interview in it's original form. The cnuts clearly trying his best to force the issue:  http://standartnews.com/en/article.php?d=2007-06-05&article=5001

And another one, from pretty much the same time, has a completely different feel to it: http://standartnews.com/en/article.php?d=2007-05-17&article=4672

No different to how the press are pushing Owen out of Newcastle & McCarthy out of Blackburn. Deal with it.

Guest Triglett

I think it's probably fairer to see the interview in it's original form. The cnuts clearly trying his best to force the issue:  http://standartnews.com/en/article.php?d=2007-06-05&article=5001

And another one, from pretty much the same time, has a completely different feel to it: http://standartnews.com/en/article.php?d=2007-05-17&article=4672

No different to how the press are pushing Owen out of Newcastle & McCarthy out of Blackburn. Deal with it.

I'm dealing with it fine. He'll be here for another year at least. There's even talks of him signing an extension too.  O0