Sven Goran Eriksson discussion

Guest Gibster76

His agent said I beleive like most of the media do that Sam will get the job..

Its not a comment from a man in the know its just what he thinks, but the important bit from it all is that there has been NO contact between the Toon and Sven!!

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=465683&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=3&title=Eriksson+'interested'+in+Toon+job

Sven Goran Eriksson's agent has confirmed his client's interest in the managerial vacancy at Newcastle, while reports claim Gerard Houllier has made public his desire for the post.

Eriksson's representative Athole Still claims the former England manager would be available were Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd to make an approach.

However Still stressed that there had been no contact as yet between the two parties.

Still said: "There has been no contact whatsoever, but if Newcastle were interested in Sven Goran Eriksson, I am sure Sven Goran Eriksson would be interested in talking to Newcastle."

Former Liverpool boss Houllier, now in charge of French champions Lyon, is also believed to be in the running to succeed Glenn Roeder, according to reports in the North East.

Former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has been linked strongly with the post made vacant following Roeder's resignation on Monday.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=houllier-and-sven-eye-toon-job%26method=full%26objectid=19072626%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Houllier and Sven eye Toon job

May 9 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has thrown his hat into the Newcastle United ring. And so too has former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

In fact there are several big hitters in the game both at home and abroad who have made it clear that they would love the job, even though United have already decided that Sam Allardyce is the man.

Yesterday I took calls from Spain, Greece, France and Norway from people representing would-be United managers - and there will be even more calls going into St James' Park.

The Chronicle's front page headline of "Big Sam The Man" on Monday morning went round the world and revealed that United had decided Allardyce would be their next manager.

But while Eriksson can save his breath, I have to say that Houllier ticks a lot of boxes, having won six trophies in his days at Anfield - the FA Cup, two League Cups, the UEFA Cup, the European Super Cup and the Charity Shield.

He is currently at Lyon and has a 19-point lead over Lens at the top of the Championnat and this will be his fourth French title.

A source close to the 59-year-old Houllier told me from Paris today: "Obviously Gerard has had heard about Sam Allardyce, but he would still love to be manager of Newcastle United.

"He has a release clause in his contract - and he would be on the next plane to Newcastle because he feels that he has unfinished business in the Premiership."

Houllier was one of several continental managers, including the likes of Claudio Ranieri and Roberto Mancini, who wanted the United job 12 months ago when Freddy Shepherd decided to give it to Glenn Roeder after the former skipper had taken the club into Europe.

Eriksson was still with England then, but his agent Athol Still is now putting him forward to replace Roeder.

Still said: "Newcastle United is a massive, massive club and Sven would consider it an honour to be their manager."

United will not be saying anything officially about their managerial situation until after the Premiership season ends on Sunday.

But United feel the Allardyce deal will go through, even though Bolton Wanderers will demand compensation on their former manager who was under contract at the Reebok Stadium until October 1999.

And the talk in football is that Allardyce is facing a third inquiry by the Quest transfer probe team, even though he has vehemently denied any wrong-doing, while the situation regarding the departure of Kevin Bond from St James' Park is a concern among some fans I have spoken to.

Guest TheOrder

SSN just said that Frerddy and Sven were on holiday at the same time in the same hotel in Portugal recently, holy s***, Svens shagging Freddy!! :lol:

That was some spacker email.

I'm sure SSN turned on the spacker filter on their emails.

Guest Blood

Here are the pro's and con's. Personally I think he would do a great job as our club coach if we could ensure his "commitment" to the cause.

PRO -

Prior to the England job, he was a fantastic club coach...

1981 Wins Swedish title with IFK Gothenburg

1983 Wins Portuguese league and cup double at Benfica

1984 Second Portuguese title

1986 Takes Roma to Italian Cup victory

1991 Third championship in Portugal, back at Benfica

1994 At Sampdoria, wins Italian Cup

1998 Italian Cup victory with Lazio

1999 Wins European Cup Winners Cup and Uefa Super Cup

2000 Clinches Serie A title and Italian Cup for Lazio

31 October 2000 Named by FA as England boss

9 January 2001 Resigns as coach of Lazio

Eriksson boasts an excellent track record, winning five championships in three different countries, his native Sweden and in Portugal, before giving Lazio only their second Serie A title in Italy.

Notwithstanding the failure to win a single trophy in international tournaments, many regard the five and a half years of Sven-Goran Eriksson's tenure as head coach to be statistically among the most successful periods in England's history with only four competitive matches lost (N.Ireland qualifier and three quarter final matches), top qualification in each international tournament qualifying group and the elevation to FIFA world ranking No.4 just prior to Eriksson's resignation taking effect. Despite this, the consistently poor performances of England towards the end of his time as manager have led people to overlook these achievements.

While with England he never lost a competitive match by more than 1 goal.

CONS -

Private life may make the club's reputation even worse!

Would appear on the surface as going wherever offered "the most money".

Guest Gemmill

That article man. :lol:

"Yesterday I took calls from Spain, Greece, France and Norway from people representing would-be United managers - and there will be even more calls going into St James' Park."

Who's been pranking Alan Oliver ffs?

"Allo allo zees ees Monsieur Christophe Pistophe, I am representing Monsieur Houllier.  Listen carefully, I will say zees only once."

"Ello peeps, Stavros here innit"

"Yesterday I took calls from Spain, Greece, France and Norway from people representing would-be United managers - and there will be even more calls going into St James' Park."

"Allo allo zees ees Monsieur Christophe Pistophe, I am representing Monsieur Houllier.  Listen carefully, I will say zees only once."

:lol:

Guest gggg

His record speaks for itself.

Did the double in Sweden with IFK + won the UEFA cup, won the double in Portugal with Benfica + got them too a European Cup final, did the double in Italy with Lazio. And i think his England game/win ratio is the best ever.

He could do a job here.

:lol:

I find it highley amusing that litterally a couple of hours after Oliver said "Houllier has thrown his hat into the ring". Houllier says "I have not thrown my hat in the ring".

Oliver is a mong TBF.

He's a knob, everyone know's he's a knob. The only people who read his pap are people witout a decent knob detector or anyone who fancies a giggle!

Or even...........

He's a knob, everyone know's he's a knob. The only people who read his pap are people witout a decent knob detector or anyone who fancies a giggle!

Sadly, alot of people read into his twaddle. When i go into work people will go "how man, houllier wants the toon job" and everytime i have to correct them and make them learn about the tosser that is anal oliver.

Guest Morph

I think we should appoint someone that we can chant a class tune too.

Sven, Sven, Sven Goran Eriksson...

I've read the article on Sky Sports, and it doesn't say that Eriksson is interested in the job. All it says is that Newcastle are a big club, and that Eriksson would talk to any big club that was interested in him.

We're reading far too much into this.

I've read the article on Sky Sports, and it doesn't say that Eriksson is interested in the job. All it says is that Newcastle are a big club, and that Eriksson would talk to any big club that was interested in him.

We're reading far too much into this.

Eriksson 'interested' in Toon job

Sven Goran Eriksson's agent has confirmed his client's interest in the managerial vacancy at Newcastle, but Gerard Houllier is not in the running - contrary to earlier reports.

Eriksson's representative Athole Still claims the former England manager would be available were Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd to make an approach.

However Still stressed that there had been no contact as yet between the two parties.

Still told Sky Sports News: "Have we been in discussions with Newcastle? No.

"However I was asked, would he be interested. Newcastle is a huge club, with a wonderful stadium and fantastic fans so naturally if a club like that made an approach to Sven then clearly he would be interested in talking to them but nothing has happened."

Former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has been linked strongly with the post made vacant following Glenn Roeder's resignation on Monday.

And Still added: "I happen to be a very good friend of Sam Allardyce and Sam seems to be, as they say, nailed on for the job, the bookies have stopped taking bets and the last thing I would want to appear to be is undermining Sam taking the job if indeed that is something that has already been decided."

Former Liverpool boss Houllier, now in charge of French champions Lyon, was believed to be in the running to succeed Roeder, but the Frenchman has told Sky Sports News that he is not interested in the job.