Sven Goran Eriksson discussion

Guest Gibster76

I've read the article on Sky Sports, and it doesn't say that Eriksson is interested in the job. All it says is that Newcastle are a big club, and that Eriksson would talk to any big club that was interested in him.

We're reading far too much into this.

Eriksson 'interested' in Toon job

Sven Goran Eriksson's agent has confirmed his client's interest in the managerial vacancy at Newcastle, but Gerard Houllier is not in the running - contrary to earlier reports.

Eriksson's representative Athole Still claims the former England manager would be available were Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd to make an approach.

However Still stressed that there had been no contact as yet between the two parties.

Still told Sky Sports News: "Have we been in discussions with Newcastle? No.

"However I was asked, would he be interested. Newcastle is a huge club, with a wonderful stadium and fantastic fans so naturally if a club like that made an approach to Sven then clearly he would be interested in talking to them but nothing has happened."

Former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has been linked strongly with the post made vacant following Glenn Roeder's resignation on Monday.

And Still added: "I happen to be a very good friend of Sam Allardyce and Sam seems to be, as they say, nailed on for the job, the bookies have stopped taking bets and the last thing I would want to appear to be is undermining Sam taking the job if indeed that is something that has already been decided."

Former Liverpool boss Houllier, now in charge of French champions Lyon, was believed to be in the running to succeed Roeder, but the Frenchman has told Sky Sports News that he is not interested in the job.

Whether he's interested or not, it's doesn't matter because the job is Sams.

If you say so...

I've read the article on Sky Sports, and it doesn't say that Eriksson is interested in the job. All it says is that Newcastle are a big club, and that Eriksson would talk to any big club that was interested in him.

Sven Goran Eriksson's agent has confirmed his client's interest in the managerial vacancy at Newcastle, but Gerard Houllier is not in the running - contrary to earlier reports.

Eriksson's representative Athole Still claims the former England manager would be available were Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd to make an approach.

However Still stressed that there had been no contact as yet between the two parties.

"However I was asked, would he be interested. Newcastle is a huge club, with a wonderful stadium and fantastic fans so naturally if a club like that made an approach to Sven then clearly he would be interested in talking to them but nothing has happened."

Former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has been linked strongly with the post made vacant following Glenn Roeder's resignation on Monday.

And Still added: "I happen to be a very good friend of Sam Allardyce and Sam seems to be, as they say, nailed on for the job, the bookies have stopped taking bets and the last thing I would want to appear to be is undermining Sam taking the job if indeed that is something that has already been decided."

Former Liverpool boss Houllier, now in charge of French champions Lyon, was believed to be in the running to succeed Roeder, but the Frenchman has told Sky Sports News that he is not interested in the job.

Whether he's interested or not, it's doesn't matter because the job is Sams.

If you say so...

Be honest... do you really think anyone other than Allardyce is going to get the job?

Until yesterday i thought that its 100% sure that Allardyce will get it.

Today when i saw that Ericksson is also interested i think there is slight chance that he might get it too

Ultimately i think you are right that in the end Sam will get it

You're doing what journalists are often accused of - selective quoting to distort the overall impression.

Sven's agent is saying that Eriksson would be interested in talking to any large club that was interested in offering him a job. That's some distance from 'Eriksson wants to join Newcastle'.

Lets just be grateful that we are all discussing manager which at least some of us are pleased about.

Be grateful its not like when we got Souness when not 1 person wanted him.

Sams the MAN

Eriksson sidles up to Newcastle

Former England manager's agent admits Swede wants to talk to Freddy Shepherd

Paul Doyle

Wednesday May 9, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

Sven-Goran Eriksson

Doesn't Sven look nice in black and white? Photograph: Julien Finney/Getty Images

Long ridiculed as a home for washed-up players, Newcastle United could be on the verge of delighting their detractors by appointing a manager whose ability is generally considered to be unworthy of his high profile. Sam Allardyce doesn't fit that bill, of course, and he remains the favourite to fill the hot seat recently vacated by Glenn Roeder, but today it emerged that the former Bolton man now faces competition from Sven-Goran Eriksson and Gérard Houllier.

Eriksson was offloaded by England after a drab World Cup performance last summer and recently admitted he is eager to return to management, and his agent today revealed the Swede is keen on working at St James's Park. "There has been no contact whatsoever, but if Newcastle were interested in Sven-Goran Eriksson, I am sure Sven-Goran Eriksson would be interested in talking to Newcastle," said Athole Still.

It is unlikely Eriksson's appointment would be welcomed by Newcastle fans: not only did he bore as England manager but he also appeared to poke fun at Newcastle when, last year, he confided to an undercover tabloid reporter that Michael Owen was only at the club for financial reasons.

The odds on Houllier taking charge, meanwhile, have come in from 25-1 to 7-1 this morning following rumours that the Frenchman is keen to leave Lyon. He may have just guided OL to a record sixth successive domestic title but Houllier is understood to be frustrated at the constrictions he has to work under at the Stade Gerland, where chairman Jean-Michel Aulas and henchman Bernard Lacombe have huge input regarding key policies such as transfers.

Houllier has one year remaining on his contract at Lyon but recently demanded "certain guarantees" from Aulas, which has been widely interpreted as meaning a greater say into which players are brought to the club. Aulas, though publicly backing the manager, is believed to be secretly quite keen on Houllier moving on, though he is loathe to push him out and have to pay compensation. Houllier was employed to bring Lyon closer to Champions League glory and he has palpably failed to do that. A departure to Newcastle may suit both manager and chairman, therefore. Though whether it would suit Geordies remains unclear.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2075637,00.html

He didn't say that at all. I cannot believe how sky sports have blown what the agent said. No mention of the fact the agent also said " i expect, like the media, that sam will be appointed".

Guest GAMMELL

Apparently Howard Wilkinson would listen to Freddy if he got in touch

:lol: :lol:

What a man

Guest BillyRay Valentine

despite being a total chump, reckon oliver could be onto something for once. i believe right now the toon mgmt job is an extremely attractive option:

- roeder jumped ship at the perfect time, whoever gets the job will have the whole summer to do his thang

- commmon knowledge the fat man is under enormous pressure to get it right and will therefor almost certainly keep his meddling to an absolute minimum, allowing the new guy a free run of the ship

- decent group of core players already there

- nailed on 20+ mil to spend right off the bat

- chance to become a living legend

- perhaps the only genuine sleeping giant in the english game with the profile & resources to challenge for major honours in the near future

- a chance to manage in the must lucrative, high profile league on the planet

aside from the very top tier of managers safely ensconced within europes elite sides, i fail to see who wouldn't have their head turned by the toon job right now

Guest toonbaz

mate of mine texted me at 1 o clock this afternoon adamant that he had saw sven driving into town and telling me to back him with betfair at 12/1.

needless to say i didn't go running to have a bet, probably full of shit but thought i'd mention it anyway.

Bring back the good old front page news instead of back page sporting news. Sven would be a failure here in my opinion. The fans would not accept his style of football, slow paced, and his favoutitism trendancies would rankle some people rotten.

Agree totally - he would be a disaster, and people who should be out(like Dyer etc) would have a free reign under his weak management.Beckham and Neville virtually ran the show when he was England boss, and his timid and uninspired tactics always cost the team dear.

Would rather have Houllier by a country mile, and Allardyce would have a much greater influence on this team of under-achieveing Prima Donnas...

You need to understand the difference between managing a club and managing a country though. He'll have time to train the players in the way that he wants, not just a couple of weeks each time. He'll also have time to implement his diets, training programmes, pro-zone and what-not. Managing a club and managing a country are two different things. He might not be the best country manager out there, but his club record speaks for itself.

You're doing what journalists are often accused of - selective quoting to distort the overall impression.

Sven's agent is saying that Eriksson would be interested in talking to any large club that was interested in offering him a job. That's some distance from 'Eriksson wants to join Newcastle'.

And that large club he was refering to was Newcastle

I think Alan Oliver's motivations are that he is doing Freddie and the Board a favour by writing this article.

So far Allardyce has had the best negotiating position. "Sam is the only candidate" makes things a bit difficult for the Board when dealing with Sam's contract and possible compensation with Bolton. It is in the interest of the club to make Sam feel wanted but not appear desperate and Oliver is serving this interest probably by direct request of the Board.

That said I have never rated Erikson and would be gutted if he came here.

Record second to none (even with England), and while people have a go at him for "only" reaching Quarter Finals...he was beaten in 2002 by the best team in the world for God knows how long (Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Cafu, Carlos, etc. bang in their prime), in 2004 we were unluckily beaten on penalties by the hosts, and in 2006, despite being down to 10-men for quite a while, we hung on to another penalty shoot-out, going out again.

the guardian think eriksson and houllier are managers "whose ability is generally considered to be unworthy of their high profile" yet Allardyce's isn't. narrow minded, ignorant madness.

the guardian think eriksson and houllier are managers "whose ability is generally considered to be unworthy of their high profile" yet Allardyce's isn't. narrow minded, ignorant madness.

could anyone have guessed that the guy with an ofamei martins value-o-meter is wrong and that the established/respected newspaper is spot on.

im shocked.

I think Alan Oliver's motivations are that he is doing Freddie and the Board a favour by writing this article.

So far Allardyce has had the best negotiating position. "Sam is the only candidate" makes things a bit difficult for the Board when dealing with Sam's contract and possible compensation with Bolton. It is in the interest of the club to make Sam feel wanted but not appear desperate and Oliver is serving this interest probably by direct request of the Board.

That said I have never rated Erikson and would be gutted if he came here.

Unfortunately you could be right. Hopefully Allardyce will hold out for the terms and conditions that he needs in order to run the club properly.

His agent was on SSN. He said Sven would be interested but FS hasnt contacted him.

Sven = Swedish Dalglish.

No thanks.

Agreed.

The question directed Still’s way stemmed from Metro Radio, the Newcastle-based station, after Eriksson emerged as a favoured candidate among its listeners. Metro also broadcasts to Wearside, thus leaving the straw poll vulnerable to a degree of mischief-making from Sunderland supporters.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article1769418.ece