We are NOT in the Amsterdam Tournament - cancel your flights!

Fugazi

Guest smoggeordie

Tell all the boys you know

Newcastle are going to Amsterdam

We've been to the Gatesheed Cup

We've been to the Malaysia Cup

And we'll lift the cup in the Dam!!

;)

Geordies in the ArenA?:

Jumping the gun? 

Having listed Newcastle United as one of the participants in the forthcoming Amsterdam Tournament on their text service, Sky are now running commercials advertising our involvement in the pre-season event.

However as yet there's been no confirmation forthcoming of this from Newcastle, host club Ajax, organisers IEP or event sponsors LG.

And given the current state of flux the club finds itself in, we're in no position to advise fans to do anything other than watch this space for formal confirmation.

On that basis, please don't moan to us if plans change and embark on a tour of the Galapagos Islands instead.... 

This would be our first appearance in the 52,000 Amsterdam ArenA that was opened in 1996.

However Obafemi Martins is familiar with the venue, having played (and scored) in the 2006 event for Inter Milan before moving to United some three weeks later.

Rewinding a little further, Nicky Butt was part of the England side who appeared at the ArenA in 2002, drawing 1-1 with the Dutch in a friendly fixture.

Patrick Kluivert scored that night while two years previously in Euro 2000, Pavel Srnickek and the Czech Republic were a minute away from defying the Dutch - only to lose 0-1.

As well as hosts Ajax, Sky claim that the other participants are ourselves, Atletico Madrid and an unidentified Italian side.

The Amsterdam Tournament takes place over two days this year - Thursday 2nd August and Saturday 4th August.

Hmmm

Looks like the standard of teams has dropped this year...

Hmm...Is this because of that Rooney dealie last year? Didn't he get sent off for nowt and the dutch ref refused to overturn it so he served a 3 game ban? Could be the tournament isn't as big a draw as it used to be if clubs are scared of having their players banned if the games are gonna be reffed by a bunch of little Hitlers.

Theres always a LOT of tickets for this, i was there 2years back, saw Ajax vs Boca and Arsenal vs Porto, be lucky if there was 30,000 there. Tickets were about £15 each IIRC.

Pretty quality seeing all the fans kickin about in their shirts around Amsterdam, getting ripped off for bevvy in all the bars!

I wouldn't be too hasty, that article from .com says nothing has been confirmed yet, it's only SkySports that have said we are in it so far.

nah not booking yet like but i would have thought its pretty nailed on if Sky sports are advertising it like

Hmmm, there's nothing about it on ajax fan sites or on dutch football sites.

About the tournament, it's always fun but the atmosphere in the Arena isn't the same as it is at other games.

Nobody's really bothered to win this tournament I guess.

But you always get two matches on one evening and you only have to pay for one match.

Teams get a point for every goal scored as a  bonus.

For ajax fans it's really easy to get tickets, don't know if it's that easy for you lads. 

Guest optimistic nit

I wouldn't be too hasty, that article from .com says nothing has been confirmed yet, it's only SkySports that have said we are in it so far.

tbh i wouldn't mind taking in a few matches even if the toon wern't playing.

Guest Geordiesned

Just confirmed this on a Sky trailer.

But has it been confirmed by anyone other than Sky yet though?

Just confirmed this on a Sky trailer.

It's probably the same trailer I saw, the "Summer of Football" one?

Aye, sorry. I thought the source of this thread was the PDA link.

I think Sky are jumping the gun, i dont thinks its been confirmed by the club.

I'd have thought the club would have said something to them if it's wrong. They've been running this trailer for nearly a week.

I think Sky are jumping the gun, i dont thinks its been confirmed by the club.

I'd have thought the club would have said something to them if it's wrong. They've been running this trailer for nearly a week.

Possibly waiting for Allardyce to confirm he's happy to play in it pre season?