Schadenfreude

Toon Amy

Guest Hodgson09

I had just read that from newsnow, very intriguing, I wonder what wages the players are on as the cheapest tickets are 3 pound. Interesting but it would never happen in England, not sucessfully anyway. 

Guest 3-1 NYD

Yes excellent article, thanks for posting. Was in Gelsenkirchen (twinned with Newcastle) last summer for the Argentina/Serbia game. Something to reflect on whilst I crick my neck at Vicarage Road this afternoon!

Amazing article...Thanks a lot Toon Army...

Wow...My respect for Schalke...I never felt close to any Bundesliga team before but after reading this, I  find it now interesting to follow Schalke's news next season...

Imagine if the same culture was embraced here...

Guest killers_perm

Fantastic article, many thanks for the posting & please keep them & your thoughts/opinions coming.

Imagine if we had the cordination to manage even a slow build up of support/clapping & cheering as we approached kick off, would certainly make for an excellent start to any game - the only time I remember us managing anthying similar was the Barca match 97 when the tannoy guy decided to kill the music 10 mins before ko and just let the fans make the noise

Now we have to endure his choice of crap music blasted out right up until the teams are in the tunnel - no wonder fans feel disconnected with the club !

Maybe Big Sam should add stadium announcer and dj into his backroom team of experts  :knuppel2:

That's what fan power is about man. Genius. Amazing. The paragraph about the 19 minutes of silence followed by that goal is simply sensational. Special moments, what football's all about.

Imagine the scene!! The home team scoring and is basically met by utter f****** silence. Not a whisper (according to my German mate). Just nothing. Nothing but silence. Then the clapping starts, and continues, and builds and builds until it reaches a crescendo. It reaches a moment of nearly deafening noise-level, followed by a thunderous strike that was 1 second after the 'protest' was supposed to end. Written by a perfect hollywood writer, that script was. That's the stuff of legends man. That is what football's all about. I'm in awe of the whole thing. Loved the article.

Youtube has a short and not so good quality fan video of the clapping leading up to 19:04 and then the hysteria as they score. Search for: "sound of silence an end!"

Mods, please remove if this is not allowed.

Tell you what then. If this board is "just for the lads" then you must all be gay.

You can fuck off back to the kitchen if you're making generalizations like that love...

Really stupid comment.

How does the ticketing system in Germany work - in other words how can they afford to charge next to nowt and still be a regular feature in European football, not just Schalke but the others don't charge much AFAIK. Can one of our German residents (I'm looking at you Parky and Ozzie) fill me in?

Income it generated totally different in German football. Sponsorship, especially shirt deals contribute far more to the general income than ticket sales (e.g. the mentioned deal with Gazprom).

The article is a bit very rose tinted. Schalke have suffered a lot from the way the club is run in the past, e.g. voted absolute nutters and simpletons for president in AGMs. Their recent success is to a certain extent down to in fact reducing fan power. To call them the most popular fans in Germany is also stretching it a bit (a huge bit tbh).

How does the ticketing system in Germany work - in other words how can they afford to charge next to nowt and still be a regular feature in European football, not just Schalke but the others don't charge much AFAIK. Can one of our German residents (I'm looking at you Parky and Ozzie) fill me in?

Income it generated totally different in German football. Sponsorship, especially shirt deals contribute far more to the general income than ticket sales (e.g. the mentioned deal with Gazprom).

The article is a bit very rose tinted. Schalke have suffered a lot from the way the club is run in the past, e.g. voted absolute nutters and simpletons for president in AGMs. Their recent success is to a certain extent down to in fact reducing fan power. To call them the most popular fans in Germany is also stretching it a bit (a huge bit tbh).

Is exactly right. The club has been run by eejits for yonks now, and they chop and change managers almost every year, preferring a series of mediocre managers (trainers, as the Germans call them) to having the sense to chase and hire a really good manager and let him get on with the job for a few seasons.

I also wouldn't say they're the *best* fans in Germany, given that a large proportion are "Asis" (the German equivalent of chav/scally etc.), but they do really worship the club (there's nothing else to live for in Gelsenkirchen), and there is always a fantastic atmosphere in the Veltins Arena. EVERY game is a complete sellout, be it Bayern, a pre-season friendly or InterToto.

The Freundschaftsspiele against Nuremberg are incredible. 65,000 fans mingling in complete safety and about 10 policemen. The atmosphere is totally boss when Nuremberg are in town.

In theory, I like the sports club idea, whereby the club essentially belongs to no-one and is run by the members' (i.e. fans') votes. It provides some kind of recourse against your club being taken over by the likes of Peter Risdale or, dare I say it, Freddie Shepherd. In practice, the fans often elect exactly these kind of tools (like at Real Madrid). Again and again and again.

As an aside, Schalke has the rather dubious honour of being Hitler's favourite club. As the "workers' club", they were heavily supported by the Nazi regime, and six of their seven Bundesliga titles came during the Third Reich.

Finally, here's a pic I took in (and of) the Nordkurve. Those are the Ultras where all the flags are. There's a guy who stands on a little platform at the front with a megaphone, co-ordinating the sining. I swear, he doesn't see a second of the match.

http://momama.net/images/Auf-Schalke.jpg