Owen

Parky

Guest Gemmill

I love Oliver telling us how Wenger would have reacted to Martins going AWOL.  "Sacre bleu!  I am appalled!"

If Martins ends up at Arsenal it will haunt us for years to come. All of you who have claimed he isn't good enough will be reminded every week just how clueless you are.

As I've said before, I can see no reason why Owen would want to stay at SJP when we've been in such disarray this past season. All the while he was injured and working hard to get back playing from what could have been a career ending injury, he's been faced with widespread unprofessionalism by various spoilt brats in the dressing room, and a manager who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag let alone a concerted attack from a lower league side. When he did get back, he was left isolated and cut adrift for large periods of the few games he has played for us, simply because our midfield was all over the place, clueless and lacking in any direction.

Yeah, maybe he does owe us morally...but, he's got to think about his own wellbeing and his own career ultimately. This is business, for him there can be no room for sentiment - even though he has previously come out and expressed his guilt about his long periods of injury while he's been here. But ask yourself this: to what extent were the club culpable for his injuries in the first place? Sure, we've laid down resources to help him recuperate, and he had a track record of getting crocked, but I can't help wondering if our training regime played some small part in this sorry episode.

Ultimately, it would of course be nice to see him playing for Newcastle week in, week out, enjoying his football, scoring regularly, helping push us back up into the top 4. But even with Sam Allardyce in charge we have to be realistic - we're miles adrift from being in that position just now and will probably be for some time. Allardyce will have to build a more workmanlike team to recover the ground we have lost in the past 3/4 seasons. Offloading Owen now, who seems to have been recruited on one mighty strange contract set-up, seems to be both an inevitability and increasingly desirable from a crude business perspective.

As I've said before, I can see no reason why Owen would want to stay at SJP when we've been in such disarray this past season. All the while he was injured and working hard to get back playing from what could have been a career ending injury, he's been faced with widespread unprofessionalism by various spoilt brats in the dressing room, and a manager who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag let alone a concerted attack from a lower league side. When he did get back, he was left isolated and cut adrift for large periods of the few games he has played for us, simply because our midfield was all over the place, clueless and lacking in any direction.

Yeah, maybe he does owe us morally...but, he's got to think about his own wellbeing and his own career ultimately. This is business, for him there can be no room for sentiment - even though he has previously come out and expressed his guilt about his long periods of injury while he's been here. But ask yourself this: to what extent were the club culpable for his injuries in the first place? Sure, we've laid down resources to help him recuperate, and he had a track record of getting crocked, but I can't help wondering if our training regime played some small part in this sorry episode.

Ultimately, it would of course be nice to see him playing for Newcastle week in, week out, enjoying his football, scoring regularly, helping push us back up into the top 4. But even with Sam Allardyce in charge we have to be realistic - we're miles adrift from being in that position just now and will probably be for some time. Allardyce will have to build a more workmanlike team to recover the ground we have lost in the past 3/4 seasons. Offloading Owen now, who seems to have been recruited on one mighty strange contract set-up, seems to be both an inevitability and increasingly desirable from a crude business perspective.

Points well made. However I would do everything within reason to keep the little weasel.

Guest Gemmill

If Martins ends up at Arsenal it will haunt us for years to come. All of you who have claimed he isn't good enough will be reminded every week just how clueless you are.

Aye he's looked fucking ace so far like. :lol:  You know best though.

Martins = Wiltord

Erratic but on any given day could get a goal.

A gratuitous, told-you-so bump based on Anal Oliver's scribblings...?

;)

it was a pure guess, but i do think thats where he will go. they are desperate for a goal getter and he is desperate to play for a top 4 club.

wages could be an issue i reckon though, cant see them paying him anywhere near what we do?

Martins=Drogba tbh.

Ridiculed in his first season but showed flashes just like Martins did. People said Drogba's touch was awful, they said he wasn't an intelligent player ... ya da ya da ya da.

If Martins goes to Arsenal you just watch what Wenger does with him. Just as Mourinho has moulded Drogba.

Martins has all the raw materials. Pace? check. Power (despite his smaller frame)? check. Workrate? check. Left foot shot? check. Right foot shot? check. Heading? check.

We actually have just recruited a manager whose management brings the best out of players and people want to let him go? Wow ...

It's a shame Martins ended the season so poorly because apparently everyone has forgotten how dynamic he was when he hit form.

I don't think people appreciate how well he did this season considering the awful midfield he had behind him. Considering it was his first season ever as a first team striker. Considering he is still so young. Considering he isn't the biggest striker you've seen and had to adjust to the physical demands.

Don't blame Martins! Blame Duff, Dyer, Sibierski, Parker and Emre.

Guest Gemmill

Martins has all the raw materials. Pace? check. Power (despite his smaller frame)? check. Workrate? check. Left foot shot? check. Right foot shot? check. Heading? check.

Touch?  Fuck!  Control?  Shit!  Movement?  Bastards!  Clinical finishing? Bollocks!

You've listed the basic requirements to be a striker, not the things that set someone apart and make them any good.

If Martins has as a good a season next season for Newcastle as what Drogba did for Chelsea last, I will name my first child Obafemi. No chance will he.

Its true though, its not that long ago people were slating Drogba. I found a post on Toontastic th other day where someone was claiming Drogba and Crespo were average.

If Martins has as a good a season next season for Newcastle as what Drogba did for Chelsea last, I will name my first child Obafemi. No chance will he.

If Martins is in a first team eleven and not used off the bench next season you can expect a minmum of 20 goals (15 of which will be premiership goals).  This will be the absolute minimum from him, assuming no long term injuries etc.

Dude ... your kid is going to be a legend at school because everyone will know who you named him after when Martins becomes the player I know he will if he remains in a first team.

Drogba is not 22, also he was already established before Chelsea bought him..

17 goals striker for 10 million is not bad...I don't think we can get better value for money...He will get better too, don't forget, he is only 22...

Touch?  f***!  Control?  s***!  Movement?  Bastards!  Clinical finishing? Bollocks!

You've listed the basic requirements to be a striker, not the things that set someone apart and make them any good.

Basic requirements they might be, but he is outstanding at all of the things I have mentioned.

The only thing i would agree he sometimes struggles with is his touch and control just like Drogba initially did.

Not clinical? So he misses some easy chances towards the end of the season when the team was playing crap and morale in the camp was at an all time low and everyone was fighting each other and he isn't clinical?

Please see his finishes againas AZ at home, as well as the deft little flick over the on rushing keeper at home (I forget who we played).

If Martins is a first team player in a team that is pulling together and performing as they ought to be he will be absolutely dynamite.

I just have to ask also ... do you think Mourinho and Wenger are mugs?

There is a reason they have both enquired you know. Mourinho was already sniffing around in January!!!

Its true though, its not that long ago people were slating Drogba. I found a post on Toontastic th other day where someone was claiming Drogba and Crespo were average.

I see what you mean, but Drogba had the attributes (ie finishing, holding up the ball, movement, etc) before he went to Chelsea, it was just about getting that out of him in English football. I'm not convinced the same will be said about Martins. He'll be more like a Wiltord type imo. Will get you anything between 12-18 goals a season, but will have many a poor performance in the process.

I see what you mean, but Drogba had the attributes (ie finishing, holding up the ball, movement, etc) before he went to Chelsea, it was just about getting that out of him in English football. I'm not convinced the same will be said about Martins. He'll be more like a Wiltord type imo. Will get you anything between 12-18 goals a season, but will have many a poor performance in the process.

Why did Drogba only get 11 goals in 60 odd games in the French second division at Martins' age then?

I just have to ask also ... do you think Mourinho and Wenger are mugs?

There is a reason they have both enquired you know. Mourinho was already sniffing around in January!!!

Where's the proof they enquired apart from in the tabloids? If they rated him so highly, why weren't they in for him last summer when it was just us & Portsmouth after him?

Guest Gemmill

Drogba is not 22, also he was already established before Chelsea bought him..

17 goals striker for 10 million is not bad...I don't think we can get better value for money...He will get better too, don't forget, he is only 22...

Is he fuck man! :lol:  Does anyone honestly believe that he's only 22?