Owen

Parky

Which is shit and why I hate when players put on this "honourable" schtick that fans are supposed to buy.  Which is why Shearer is a legend in my eyes.  Said it and did it, regardless of what anyone says. 

Guest cfhpantera27

i love the way people form an opinion on someone by what they read in papers,

on the net etc.. (the same papers that said shearer had joined man u, englands gonna win world cup, amongst other things!?..)

until owen comes out and says screw you im off.. i dont have a problem with him..

look, its the transfer windows comin up, we're gonna have to listen to reports like this all summer with every paper thinking than owen is too big for the toon and hes bound to leave..

i believe owen will honour his contract, and im sure he wants to be playin every week scoring goals as much as we want him to..

Fortunately, I live in Toronto and thus, can't read the papers.  I'm just going on instinct and what Owen has done in the past.  Mate, I would love it if Owen became a Toon Legend, but I just don't think he cares.  I like to root for heroes and at the moment, we don't have any.  Not sure any other clubs do either. 

what sways it for me was shearers reply that owen would stay,i think owen's advisors may have wanted to see what the lie of the land was depending on who came in as manager,i doubt shearer would have been so forthright without a hint off his mate.

what sways it for me was shearers reply that owen would stay,i think owen's advisors may have wanted to see what the lie of the land was depending on who came in as manager,i doubt shearer would have been so forthright without a hint off his mate.

I don't think Shearer knows, I think he is just putting pressure on Owen to do the right thing.

To be fair on the lad, its a really difficult situation for him, he's caught between a rock and a hard place, the thing is, is that he has a definitive £9m price tag on his head, if he was to come out and say his bit sayin that he was commited to nufc, how compromised would he be if one of the top four went for him...would it be worse for him to come out and say he wanted to stay but then be tempted by a trophy winning team(rightly so), or should he keep schtum and not set himself up for a fall? to be honest, if i was in the same situation, i'd stay schtum. Play it safe.

To be fair on the lad, its a really difficult situation for him, he's caught between a rock and a hard place, the thing is, is that he has a definitive £9m price tag on his head, if he was to come out and say his bit sayin that he was commited to nufc, how compromised would he be if one of the top four went for him...would it be worse for him to come out and say he wanted to stay but then be tempted by a trophy winning team(rightly so), or should he keep schtum and not set himself up for a fall? to be honest, if i was in the same situation, i'd stay schtum. Play it safe.

"Players need to start honouring their contracts, especially players who have been backed by the club through difficult times." Max Cady

Why the f*** was he in Ireland today? Have we sacked off training or...?

Especially as there was racing at Newcastle today.

There was a massive meeting in Ireland with 8 races at Killarney today. Could have been that?

I'd play out my contract with honor, I'd like to think.  I'd want to be a hero in the Toon, though.  I don't think he cares one bit, which is okay for him.  Pisses me off a touch. 

I'd play out my contract with honor, I'd like to think.  I'd want to be a hero in the Toon, though.  I don't think he cares one bit, which is okay for him.  Pisses me off a touch. 

Players have way too much power now.

Why the fuck was he in Ireland today? Have we sacked off training or...?

Season's over. Holiday begins. Simple really.

Didnt know if teams went away straight away or had some kind of wind-down period at end of season (not that we'd need one)

Why the fuck was he in Ireland today? Have we sacked off training or...?

Season's over. Holiday begins. Simple really.

Didnt know if teams went away straight away or had some kind of wind-down period at end of season (not that we'd need one)

Obafindme bolted from his hotel room during the Watford game. :laugh:

"Players need to start honouring their contracts, especially players who have been backed by the club through difficult times." Max Cady

Yeh mate, i'd agree with that, except he kind of would be honouring his contract if it(the contract) said that he can leave for £9m if we dont qulaify for europe, it was a condition of his contract. It's in his best interest not to say anything, because if the clause gets triggered is he supposed to turn down the prospect of CL football, Trophy aspirations etc...."becase nufc stuck by him" Its dog eat dog.....get wth reality.

So if this supposed clause is real, does that mean any club could have offered £9m the day after we signed him, and we'd have to accept the offer?

Wasn't there a time constraint (like at least a year) and something about us not being in Europe though?

So if this supposed clause is real, does that mean any club could have offered £9m the day after we signed him, and we'd have to accept the offer?

It's not so much about whether the clause is real or not (or even the value), what concerns me is WHO gave the ok to talk to the media about this stuff?

Wasn't there a time constraint (like at least a year) and something about us not being in Europe though?

Flip knows, would have made sense like.

i love the way people form an opinion on someone by what they read in papers,

on the net etc.. (the same papers that said shearer had joined man u, englands gonna win world cup, amongst other things!?..)

until owen comes out and says screw you im off.. i dont have a problem with him..

look, its the transfer windows comin up, we're gonna have to listen to reports like this all summer with every paper thinking than owen is too big for the toon and hes bound to leave..

So it wasnt Freddy Shepherd in his car moaning at Owen's agents trying to engineer a move, it was the papers!

It's not so much about whether the clause is real or not (or even the value), what concerns me is WHO gave the ok to talk to the media about this stuff?

Can't see Shepherd wanting to make details like this common knowledge.

The best thing I have heard so far, and its about time more people realised that no player is bigger than the club!

If Owen really wants to stay then great let's get things back on track, but if not let's move on without him  and become better anyway.

Sam is really impressing me right now. Hasn't been here for more than a few hours and he isn't being vague or beating around the bush. Saying it like it is and like it should be.

Enjoy ...

From The TimesMay 16, 2007

Allardyce lands an early blow in the battle to keep OwenGeorge Caulkin

Sam Allardyce arrived on Tyne-side by helicopter yesterday, the same mode of transport that ushered Kevin Keegan towards retirement as a player. On this occasion, the centre circle at St James’ Park was not used as a landing pad and the stadium was empty, but for those Newcastle United supporters seeking positive omens it was a decent start. “I was s****ing myself,” Allardyce said.

Allardyce is relishing the opportunity to follow Keegan into management at Newcastle and fear was a fleeting emotion, although players would be well advised not to get too comfortable. A rigorous system of fitness, exercise and technological developments will be implemented at Newcastle, but Allardyce is not averse to banging heads together.

Addressing fractured discipline will be a key task as the 52-year-old embarks upon his three-year contract, worth an estimated £3 million a year. As Freddy Shepherd, the chairman, put it yesterday, at least one Newcastle player “wants his backside smacked” – Charles N’Zogbia – while others may need their egos massaged. As of last night, Michael Owen’s status was unclear.

After Shepherd’s outburst last week, when he stated that Owen should “come out and tell our fans he is happy here” after reports linking the England striker with Liverpool and Manchester United, there has been no contact between player and chairman. Owen was in Ireland yesterday and has not spoken to Allardyce.

His future is uncertain, but the fact is that Owen, 27, will return for preseason training at Newcastle on July 2, if neither United nor Liverpool have triggered a £9 million release clause in his contract.

From Shepherd’s perspective, however, an emotional commitment is required from Newcastle’s £16 million record signing and a coolness has developed.

“I haven’t heard from Michael, but he wouldn’t have signed in the first place if he didn’t think this was the place to be,” Shepherd said. “If 20,000 people coming to see him that day didn’t make his mind up, nothing would. I hope he stays. He’s a great player and I’m quite happy relationship-wise, but he has to make his mind up about what he wants to do.”

Allardyce echoed that request for clarity. “I’ll speak to Michael in the near future,” he said. “The speculation will be resolved as soon as possible. You wouldn’t want to lose your leading goalscorer and I hope he’s part of the future here, but until I speak to Michael, I don’t know what he’s thinking. He’s a big player, but it’s not all about Michael.”

For other players, “Big Sam” may need the big stick. Obafemi Martins and N’Zogbia caused consternation at Watford last weekend after effectively refusing to appear on the substitutes’ bench. “Oba has said it was a misunderstanding, but with Charles it was absolutely ridiculous,” Shepherd said. “A young man like him trying to play the big star – he should do it on the field before trying to do it off it.”

It is not a scenario that fazes Allardyce, who resigned as Bolton Wanderers manager on April 29. “If there’s unrest in the dressing-room, it’s my job to resolve it,” he said. “The only way this team will get success is if everybody fights for each other.”

Long term, there are loftier aims. “This is an opportunity not only to manage at a big, big club, but also to break into an area which seems untouchable,” he said. “With the right resources, foundations, back-room staff and players, there’s no reason why Newcastle shouldn’t be able to challenge those top-four boys.”

Having missed out to Steve McClaren, Allardyce has no designs on the England coaching job – “there’s no [release] clause in my contract,” he said – and the money that Shepherd has saved in recent days (“we did not pay Bolton compensation”) can be invested elsewhere. “It’s my job to buy players better than what we’ve already got and hopefully with a few more bob than I’ve had before,” Allardyce said.