UEFA Cup Final

Ritchie

Just been watching that great game. Feel for Espanyol, wanted them to win after the character they showed to stick with it thru Sevilla's arsing about. But they never really had a chance in the shoot-out, coach was stuck between a rock and a hard place after the red card - needed fresh legs so had to take some players off, but the players he took of (De La Pena and Tamudo) would have been good value for a penalty a think. Shame.

Utterly superb game, reminded me of Croatia vs Australia in the World Cup last year with a late, late goal to keep the game alive. I actually got up and started cheering Espanyol when they scored their 2nd equaliser, bit gutted they lost. Always liked Sevilla but I tend to root for the underdog in games I'm a neutral supporter in.

Why didn't City keep hold of Riera, Spectrum? Whenever I saw him and that other bloke from the Spanish League you had (the one with the dreadlocks...forgot his name), I was always impressed by them.

EDIT = Musampa.

Riera looked a decent player, nice skills, and he had his moments - put the first nail in Souness' coffin I believe - but overall he wasn't consistently effective enough for us, especially considering we're serial penny pinchers. I think they were looking at 3 or 4, he didn't do enough for us to justify taking that big a chunk (percentage wise) of our transfer budget.

Musampa I liked, I thought he was a much better player than Riera. Had him on loan for half a season where he played really well - even got into the Dutch squad if memory serves. I think we should have commited to him after that first season. The 2nd time we got him on loan was a total waste of time, by the time we got to the end of the season he blatantly couldn't be arsed with us any more - he was the type of player who needed to be commited to play well, incredibly powerful man but if is heart wasn't in it there was no point even putting him on the pitch. Him and City just gave up on each other really, I assume he wanted to play somewhere who actually wanted him rather than just perpetually sign him on loan to save a few quid. So off he went. For nowt I think, somewhere in Turkey? Missed the boat there IMO.

Was at the game, quality stuff, Espanyol fans were amazing! Sung their hearts out the whole game and even though it was about 2/3 Sevilla, 1/3 Espanyol they put them to shame. Weather was shite but to be expected  :lol: Felt really sorry for the soaked espanyol fans we had to show back to george square.

Sometimes when we say the Premiership is the best in the world we have to look at games like tonight.  Espanyol are a mid table side and they'd comfortably be the fifth best in this country.

I really believe the Premiership is nowt like the best league in the world. Best *marketed* league in the world, yes. Best in terms of quality of football? No.

I agree.  For true strength of a league look at the worst 3 or 4 teams.  La Liga wins in this respect, I think Serie A is behind us though.

I used to watch a lot of Serie A and these days it is a bit of a mess. Average players where you never used to get average players.

Outside the top 4 and the bottom 3, the Prem is really much of a muchness. You could take any two teams and swap their positions and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Guest Guinness

Thought it was a quality game in the end, had all the drama to fit the occasion. Really felt for Espanyol in the end going down to ten men and then managing to get such a good equaliser only to lose on pens.