Sol Campbell

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

One of the reasons he cited for leaving Arsenal is he wanted to play football games and enjoy his final years in the game, well if he wants to extend his playing days and enjoy defending, Newcastle under Big Sam would be a great move for him, Gary Speed credits Sam for adding a few extra years on his own career and says he's never enjoyed just playing and training as much as he has at Bolton. Same goes for Viduka two who has talked about not playing as much as he hoped he would have done down the years.

:thup:

Guest Knightrider

BTW this is why I wouldn't be concerned with signing a few "old timers" under Sam like I would have been under Souness and Roeder.

BTW this is why I wouldn't be concerned with signing a few "old timers" under Sam like I would have been under Souness and Roeder.

I think thats how a lot of people feel. If Roeder or Souness had of gone for old players or unknown cheap players then i wouldn't have been convinced but i have faith in Allardyce when it comes to bringing them in because if anyone can get the best out of a player then it is him. Not neccassarily Sol Campbell like because i wouldn't have minded Roeder signing him, but just players in general.

Would 'Arry let Sol go though?

Doubt it. One of the major factors in them doing so well this year imo.

It might help us that Roeder has fucked off though.

Guest Knightrider

Would 'Arry let Sol go though?

I think so, probably one of the conditions of his move was that should he not feel happy, he'd be allowed to move on.

Anyway they owe us for Faye.

I really wonder whether all the people drooling over Campbell actually saw him play at all last year. Most times I saw him he looked slow and lumbering and was far more error prone than Bramble. I guarantee if he comes here, after a couple of months people will be calling him another Boumsong and blaming the curse of playing in defense for Newcastle, mystified as to how he's suddenly become crap.

PS If we end up paying Pompey for him, and they sign up Bramble for free, how stupid would we have been not to extend Bramble's contract if only to allow us to do a swap deal?

I really wonder whether all the people drooling over Campbell actually saw him play at all last year. Most times I saw him he looked slow and lumbering and was far more error prone than Bramble. I guarantee if he comes here, after a couple of months people will be calling him another Boumsong and blaming the curse of playing in defense for Newcastle, mystified as to how he's suddenly become crap.

PS If we end up paying Pompey for him, and they sign up Bramble for free, how stupid would we have been not to extend Bramble's contract if only to allow us to do a swap deal?

I saw him loads of times, and he was very good. He even helped Linvoy Primus look outstanding. We could do with some of that.

U cant be serious about the bramble bit. Extend Brambles contract and he wouldnt wanna goto Portsmouth, Think about it.

It's not only important to see how Campbell would help Taylor but also the help Taylor could give to Campbell. Where as experiance would go one way energy would go the other.

Guest Armchair Pundit

Freddie Ljungberg could join us on the cheap, he's a gay icon you know... might help :D

would love to see him here. when have we ever had a centre half for the younger players to learn from???

i think he would bring taylor on as well.

him and ben haim/distin would be great

Guest Sniffer

So where would Taylor fit in?

People on here got their knickers in a twist because we signed Duff and n'zogbia went off in the huff because he couldn't take the competition.

what's the message to Taylor who has had a good season IMO for a 21 year old in Newcastle's shite back four which has been chopped and changed time and time again? And he has always given 100% and never let his head drop.

Guest mr quimbys beard

I agree with some of the above posts, Campbell would be a great signing for our team, experience and strength, got a coupla years left in him easily.

Taylor must start next season imo, but we need to bring in an experienced centre back to play alongside him. It will be better for Newcastle in the long run if we sign someone like Campbell to play him alongside Taylor, rather than signing Campbell but dropping Taylor. It'll do more damage to Taylor in the end. He can be a great defender for us so we should try and get the very best out of a quality experienced centre half and use him to bring the full potential out of Taylor. Its obvious we need to bring in more than one centre half but i would start with Taylor. I've been very impressed with him lately. He's suffered for not having a good defensive partner, so lets not waste this oppurtunity now and get in someone he can learn from while he is still young.

De Zueew (sp?) has been released by Wigan, was good at Pompey but not really sure since. Anyone?

Bit old now... 37 i think

Knew he was getting on but didn't know he was that old! :lol:

Guest gggg

I'd rather go all out and spend 7m on a centre back than get someone elses cast off like De Zueew for nothing.

It's probably the most important position we have to fill.