Thinnest squad in the Premiership

NUFC06

Do you agree that atm we have the thinest squad in the Premiership?

I mean before the start of the season we knew that our squad is not deep enough.

And now when we released 5 more players its getting even thiner.

I know that we will sign players but how many players we can realisticaly sign?

Before the season begins even more players might be gone(Owen,Martins,Zoggy,Parker,Dyer,Luque)

If that happens we will need more players and i dont think we can afford to sign 7-8 players.Also its not going to be good for the team because that we will be massive rebuilding of the squad/team.Starting the season with a starting team with 5-6 new players its pretty risky and dangerous imo.

IMO i dont think we should release/sell more players.We should add players to our squad.

Given/Harper/Krul

Solano/Carr-------------Taylor/Edgar------------Ramage/Huntington--------Babayaro

Milner/Dyer---------------Emre/Butt-----------------Parker/Pattison-----------Duff/Zoggy/O'Brien

Owen/Ameobi/Luque---------Martins/Carroll/Sibierski

As we can see its obvious that our defence and our central midfield are the positions which needs immediate strengthening.

LB is again top priority as well as CB.

I think we need to sign at least 2 CB and 1 LB and only then we can say that our defence is Premieship standart.We cant afford to rely on Peter Ramage as starting CB.If its up to me i'll play him only in the reserves.

So thats 3 players for the defence

In the midfield we need someone who can play as CM and maybe as RM.On the LM we have plenty of players(Duff,Zoggy,Luque,Pattison,O'Brien).On the right we have only Milner and Dyer.

The ideal situation would be if we sign 2 CM players but if we sign only 1 it wouldnt be the end of the world.

In the attack i think we should buy players only if we release one.Otherwise i think the squad would become too unbalanced.Having 6 strikers and 1 LB!!!

If we sell Luque and release Sibierski we can afford to bring 1 or maybe 2 strikers.That would be perfect imo.

Ultimatelly it all depends on how many more players will be out of the club.

ATM we need at least 5 new players(2 CB,1LB,1 CM,1 CF)

This summer is going to be extremely busy for us but i only hope that Big Sam starts to making his transfers NOW and not wait too long because when the TV money comes all the Premiership clubs will start to buy and the competition will be enormous.

Sign Ben Haim and Viduka in the next 2 weeks and the situation wouldnt be too bad.

Fingers crossed O0

I don't think sales of players who don't fit into the squad should be stopped, if they're not suitable for the squad, they're not suitable.  You can't keep them just because the numbers are thin.

The squad should never have been allowed to get into the state it is in today, but Allardyce does have time to get things changed.  I would guess Newcastle would need something like 11 or 12 players before the window closes.  It's asking a lot but it could be done.  How the transfer fund will cope with that sort of number or how many will be Bosmans, only time will tell.

Scary thing is the wage bill of that team is sky high.

And all because of Owen, Dyer, Duff, Luque and Butt(maybe Parker and Emre too). Their contracts should be checked and bring back to more realistic level but I wouldn't really mind seeing at least Dyer and Butt leaving as it can only do good for our poor financial situation...

Out of that 'team' Babayaro, Carr, Luque, Owen, Dyer, Emre, Duff & Parker need scrapping, in that order of who needs to go most.

Babayaro & Carr just need to find new homes, i'd let them go for free as long as it costs us nothing in the process.

Someone must be willing to pay £3m for Luque? I know PSV want a loan but that does nothing for us, we need rid.

Owen & Dyer need to go for the amount of wages they pull in, getting rid of them two could fund and pay for 5 new defenders, or feed half of Africa for a year, not sure which is more important right now.

Emre, Parker & Duff fall into the 'good EPL players on too much money and are under performing, but still hold a market value' and we should take advantage of that and sell all 3 if possible.

Butt, Sibierski & Solano are the older bunch and are themselves expandable, i'd get shot of sibbi if Viduka comes in, i'd get rid of Butt if we get good cash (£1-2m) for him as he's on big wages as well, Nobby should stay and finish his career here.

Pattison & O'Brien are not going to make it are they? Loan em or sell em, makes no difference.

The rest are worth keeping, Harper, Krul, Hunty, Edgar, Ramage, Ameobi & Carroll, cost nowt, and are backup, Given, Taylor, Milner, Zoggy & Martins are what we should build a new team around.

Can SA do a big job and do the clearout we all want?

I think if he gets back off his hols quickly enough its possible to get rid of all that and start again.

Out of that 'team' Babayaro, Carr, Luque, Owen, Dyer, Emre, Duff & Parker need scrapping, in that order of who needs to go most.

Babayaro & Carr just need to find new homes, i'd let them go for free as long as it costs us nothing in the process.

Someone must be willing to pay £3m for Luque? I know PSV want a loan but that does nothing for us, we need rid.

Owen & Dyer need to go for the amount of wages they pull in, getting rid of them two could fund and pay for 5 new defenders, or feed half of Africa for a year, not sure which is more important right now.

Emre, Parker & Duff fall into the 'good EPL players on too much money and are under performing, but still hold a market value' and we should take advantage of that and sell all 3 if possible.

Butt, Sibierski & Solano are the older bunch and are themselves expandable, i'd get shot of sibbi if Viduka comes in, i'd get rid of Butt if we get good cash (£1-2m) for him as he's on big wages as well, Nobby should stay and finish his career here.

Pattison & O'Brien are not going to make it are they? Loan em or sell em, makes no difference.

The rest are worth keeping, Harper, Krul, Hunty, Edgar, Ramage, Ameobi & Carroll, cost nowt, and are backup, Given, Taylor, Milner, Zoggy & Martins are what we should build a new team around.

I think if he gets back off his hols quickly enough its possible to get rid of all that and start again.

Do you think Allardyce will have time to flog the 8 you mention and bring in replacements (not forgetting the other 5 who have already been released)?

If not, what's your guess for how many in this window?  My guess would be around 4.  I think there will be some that SA will want to have a better look at to see if he can get more out of them.

He's a talented guy but he's not going to transform the squad overnight. In the short term he'd be mad to scrap Owen, Dyer, Emre, Duff and Parker. I don't care about Mattison or O'Brien, and Carr and Babayaro should be replaced as soon as possible. But he should definitely keep Butt for the time being, and Owen if he wants to stay. That way we have a chance of developing a team with a spine: Given – Taylor – Butt – and then, well, we need a number nine.

But he has to start working with at least some of what we've got, or we really will have the thinnest squad in the Premiership – and start the season with a bunch of players who still haven't learned each other's names.

Guest Morph

If we have 20 mil to spend -

http://www.klaasjanhuntelaar.azplayers.com/wallpapers/klaas-jan-huntelaar-wallpapers6.jpg

Do you think Allardyce will have time to flog the 8 you mention and bring in replacements (not forgetting the other 5 who have already been released)?

If not, what's your guess for how many in this window?  My guess would be around 4.  I think there will be some that SA will want to have a better look at to see if he can get more out of them.

Luque loan - Almost cert

Owen, Dyer & Parker all linked in the last few days, Duff we will have to keep due to injury, but Emre could easily be sold quickly abroad.

The hardest to shift would be Carr & Babayaro, i suggest Scotland, possibly on a free, but SA might just want to keep them for back-up.

However out of all that i have mentioned i expect 4 to be permanently gone.

As for bringing them in, thats his job, and if he's not going for the glamour names then it will be easier than we think. Bolton never hung about to sign a player, deals were done pretty quickly, SA knows what kind of players he wants, and he goes and gets them funds permitting, and if we sell that little lot, fund could reach £50m easily.

All he has to do is buy an 11 with Given, Taylor, Zoggy, Milner & Martins already in, so 6 players, with Harper, Krul, Ramage, Hunty, Edgar, Solano, Butt, Duff, Ameobi &Carroll playing backup, its not ideal but it gets the shit out, the wage bill down, money in the club, a clean slate, fresh ideas & room for improvement next season, mainly depth.

Its what i hope he's got planned, easier said than done? I don't know, but i do know WHU are planning the same kind of change around and a bet my left testicle they manage it, so why can't we?

It will be a bit like when Jol came in, only SA needs to work one window like Jol did his 1st 2-3, its not that much when you think about it considering we've got players to sell to fund whereas Tottenham maybe didn't have that quality (Or rep of players) that we have now.

Guest LucaAltieri

I find it funny that everyone is talking about BSA picking up old knackers on the cheap and turning them good, then in the next breath expecting him to get rid of the likes of Carr, Parker, Emre, Owen, Duff... They're all players who have talent but have simply lost form - tthe same type of player everyone seems set on us signing. Surely he should start there first.

No reason to get rid of them in my opinion.

I find it funny that everyone is talking about BSA picking up old knackers on the cheap and turning them good, then in the next breath expecting him to get rid of the likes of Carr, Parker, Emre, Owen, Duff... They're all players who have talent but have simply lost form - tthe same type of player everyone seems set on us signing. Surely he should start there first.

no need to get rid of Carr, what are you kidding me?

FFS - look at teams like Reading who scraped through the whole season on about 18 players before making idiot posts like this

We may have the thinnest squad in terms of useful players but there are herds of useless buggers up at SJP

FFS - look at teams like Reading who scraped through the whole season on about 18 players before making idiot posts like this

We may have the thinnest squad in terms of useful players but there are herds of useless buggers up at SJP

Reading had a bigger squad than us last season.

Luque loan - Almost cert

Owen, Dyer & Parker all linked in the last few days, Duff we will have to keep due to injury, but Emre could easily be sold quickly abroad.

The hardest to shift would be Carr & Babayaro, i suggest Scotland, possibly on a free, but SA might just want to keep them for back-up.

However out of all that i have mentioned i expect 4 to be permanently gone.

As for bringing them in, thats his job, and if he's not going for the glamour names then it will be easier than we think. Bolton never hung about to sign a player, deals were done pretty quickly, SA knows what kind of players he wants, and he goes and gets them funds permitting, and if we sell that little lot, fund could reach £50m easily.

All he has to do is buy an 11 with Given, Taylor, Zoggy, Milner & Martins already in, so 6 players, with Harper, Krul, Ramage, Hunty, Edgar, Solano, Butt, Duff, Ameobi &Carroll playing backup, its not ideal but it gets the s*** out, the wage bill down, money in the club, a clean slate, fresh ideas & room for improvement next season, mainly depth.

Its what i hope he's got planned, easier said than done? I don't know, but i do know WHU are planning the same kind of change around and a bet my left testicle they manage it, so why can't we?

It will be a bit like when Jol came in, only SA needs to work one window like Jol did his 1st 2-3, its not that much when you think about it considering we've got players to sell to fund whereas Tottenham maybe didn't have that quality (Or rep of players) that we have now.

I wondered if Allardyce would have had a closer look at Dyer, Duff, Luque and Parker.  True, they have't performed as well as could have been expected, but maybe that was down to the previous manager/tactics etc.  I just wonder if  SA will be able to get a lot more out of them, if he can, it's like having new players for no money.  If he decides that they are write-offs, well then he can ship them out.  With his past history of getting players and team to overachieve, it wouldn't surprise me to see the new faces in this window, the write-offs going next January.

You're right, there's a lot of similarities between Newcastle now and Spurs of 3 years ago.  Newcastle have got a lot of pretty good players seriously underperforming, Spurs had a lot of mediocrity playing up to their ability.  You've got some players that worth a bit, though nowhere near as much as you paid, Spurs in the main had players bought in for around £2/3m and a lot were shipped out on frees.  The problem I see with the likes of Parker,  Duff, Dyer etc is because you pay them so much, there's no incentive for the to play up to their standard and even less incentive to move elsewhere where the money will be a lot lower. 

Dyer's been linked with Spurs, there has been some contact, I've said that before, but I can't see it progressing because Dyer doesn't want to a huge cut, Levy isn't interested without Newcastle contributing to his wages over the length of the contract and Shepherd isn't going down the Leeds route of agreeing to that.  So unless Dyer has a change of heart or Newcastle find a club who will stump up those wages, quite frankly, I can't see Dyer going anywhere.

Guest LucaAltieri

At least Carr’s proved himself to be a quality right back in the past... and he plays in a position where we need players. It makes far more sense to me to let Sam have a go at turning him around than it does to buy “our version of Diouf” Cisse, or  any of useless mongs that people on here keep suggesting for the sole purpose of letting Allardyce resurrect their careers.... we have plenty of our own that he could do that with already.

We’re not Bolton... he can either give new life to the players we already have or buy quality replacements.

Even if he chooses the latter option, we can’t afford/don’t have time to bring in enough quality players... so we’d need to hang on to more than a few of those we’d rather left. I expect Carr to be one of them.

At least Carr’s proved himself to be a quality right back in the past... and he plays in a position where we need players. It makes far more sense to me to let Sam have a go at turning him around than it does to buy “our version of Diouf” Cisse, or  any of useless mongs that people on here keep suggesting for the sole purpose of letting Allardyce resurrect their careers.... we have plenty of our own that he could do that with already.

We’re not Bolton... he can either give new life to the players we already have or buy quality replacements.

Even if he chooses the latter option, we can’t afford/don’t have time to bring in enough quality players... so we’d need to hang on to more than a few of those we’d rather left. I expect Carr to be one of them.

Agree with you.

Alot of people on here are suggesting that we should sell Owen,Dyer,Parker,Zoggy,Carr,Babayaro!@!@

And after that we will play with what???

We cant afford to lose 10 players most of them 1st team players in one transfer window.

Allardyce is not a magician.

I think he will do a good job with players like Parker,Zoggy,Dyer,Carr.

Maybe next summer we can afford to sell some of them but right now we released enough players already.

Lets now concentrate on bringing good replacement for this 5 players we released already.

Lets see what can Big Sam do with the likes of Carr,Babayaro,Parker,Dyer,Duff and after that he will decide which players he dont need.

He cant sell 10 players without even seen them how they play under him.

Its ridiculous

If Carr is ever ever picked at RB ahead of Nobby itd be a disgrace. I'd be tempted to play Edgar at RB if Solano is injured anytime allowing us to sell Carr, he has been so bad its untrue, his body language is a disgrace, a lot of times he seems to like to just stand still on the ball with his arms in the air wanting a pass throwing a huff, make something happen yourself you fat b*stard.

Reading had a bigger squad than us last season.

wrong - we had 49 registered players - they had 45