The Darren Bent Alternative

KaKa

I guess the general consensus is that should Owen/Martins leave then the ideal striker to bring in to replace either of them would be Darren Bent, as he offers a bit more of a physical presence while still being a major threat with his pace.

The thing is though, Charlton are definitely going to take the piss with his price as he is bound to be in great demand, and it would be awful if we sold Owen and Martins and brought in Bent for more than we got for either of those two.

So, who do you guys think would be a good alternative to Bent, who would offer the same skill set i.e. a player who has a bit of a physical presence as well as an abundance of pace?

I'll get us started shall I ...

I think a very good alternative would be PSV striker Arouna Kone. Very strong, agressive and direct, and he might actually be faster than Bent! Also more skillfull with the ball at his feet, but probably not quite as good a finisher as Darren though.

I'll present the obligatory dutch to english league debate and prove obligatory examples such as kezmen (and kuyt to some extent..not exactly goal machine but it is his first season etc).

I see what you are saying...darren bent will be ridiculously expensive....but i don't think kone will be able to cut it over here.

Guest BooBoo

Marlon King could have been worth a punt but hes just signed a new deal this week with Watford.

Pazzini who plays for Fiorentina looks canny.

Quick, strong, technically sound and young, you'd probably get him for less than £10m, which will be cheaper than Bent goes for.

Mutu & Toni are preffered, but i think he's a one for the future.

Pazzini who plays for Fiorentina looks canny.

Quick, strong, technically sound and young, you'd probably get him for less than £10m, which will be cheaper than Bent goes for.

Mutu & Toni are preffered, but i think he's a one for the future.

I've heard toni is off too bayern soon...so they probably wanna keep him around...great lil player tho pazzini.

I like the look of Nugent but I think he'll be off to Everton.

The latest seems to be that he won't be coming here because Preston are asking for silly money.

£10m for an unproven player with 12 months left on his contract. I'd be surprised if anyone buys him if they are really asking for that much.

Kone is rubbbish. He looks OK in the Eredivisie but he deosn't exactly set the world on fire in that division.

Very harsh. He's had a superb season... 18 goals and 11 assists, and some of his goals have been absolute peaches. Heck of a strike on him.

And his ability to beat players is first class.

I like the look of Nugent but I think he'll be off to Everton.

The latest seems to be that he won't be coming here because Preston are asking for silly money.

£10m for an unproven player with 12 months left on his contract. I'd be surprised if anyone buys him if they are really asking for that much.

Outrageous figure ...

This is why English players don't get the opportunities they do and then everyone claims there are too many foreigners blah blah blah.

But at the end of the day, why would I buy David Nugent for £10 million when I could buy Davidoff Nugentienté for £3 million?

Kone is rubbbish. He looks OK in the Eredivisie but he deosn't exactly set the world on fire in that division.

Very harsh. He's had a superb season... 18 goals and 11 assists, and some of his goals have been absolute peaches. Heck of a strike on him.

Exactly ... he is a very good scorer and he sets up a lot of goals as well. That's why I think he would be very useful for us. He does so much excellent outside of the box as well as in it.

Guest gggg

To be fair Kezman and Kuyt both got about 30 goals a season in Holland, the bottom teams must be about league 1 standard.

I see Aruna Kone play every week and he's a decent player but not a great player. He's a very poor finisher, not what we need IMO.

Fair enough ...

The thing is though ... we could do with some 'decent' players at this club.

Don't know where you got your 18 goal statistic from but from what I can see it is incorrect. According to PSV's website he got 10 goals in 27 Eredivisie games, which is very unimpressive considering that most teams in that league are Championship/League 1 standard. Then in the Champions league he got 2 goals in 9 games and both those goals came against Galatasaray.

Not exactly the sort of scoring record you'd want from a Premiership striker.