The Darren Bent Alternative

KaKa

I see Aruna Kone play every week and he's a decent player but not a great player. He's a very poor finisher, not what we need IMO.

Fair enough ...

The thing is though ... we could do with some 'decent' players at this club.

We have "decent" players in Shola and Carroll. What we need is proven goalscorers.

I see Aruna Kone play every week and he's a decent player but not a great player. He's a very poor finisher, not what we need IMO.

Fair enough ...

The thing is though ... we could do with some 'decent' players at this club.

We have "decent" players in Shola and Carroll. What we need is proven goalscorers.

Thats bieng very kind, he shouldnt be anywhere near the team next season.

I would be very surprised if both martins and Owen leave.

If, in the unfortunate event that one of them should leave, then we should look to develop Caroll.

All the fans seem happy to have a season or 2 of gradual progression so I think we could afford to bring him on.

There is no standout choice as a proven goalscorer so any moeny spent will be a gamble and there a potential waste

If we want a pacey goalscorer Earnshaw could do the job and I doubt he would cost silly money but he doesn't add much else to the team. I do expect this suggestion to be mocked.

If we want a big strong lad to partner whichever of the two hypothetically stayed then Zigic would be worth a look.

If we want a pacey goalscorer Earnshaw could do the job and I doubt he would cost silly money but he doesn't add much else to the team. I do expect this suggestion to be mocked.

If we want a big strong lad to partner whichever of the two hypothetically stayed then Zigic would be worth a look.

Good shout. Forgot about him. Big horrible, nasty fucker who puts himself about. I'd have him here in a heartbeat.  blueyes.gif

Good shout. Forgot about him. Big horrible, nasty fucker who puts himself about. I'd have him here in a heartbeat.  blueyes.gif

I wouldn't really call Earnshaw a big horrible nasty fucker but each to their own.

;)

I wouldn't really call Earnshaw a big horrible nasty fucker but each to their own.

;)

Touche.  ;)

If Koné is willing to be backup i'd be over the moon. But it's highly unlikely.

Top club in Holland, champions league football, guaranteed first XI place

or

Average club in England, no europeen football(yet), be on the bench most of the time, but high wages.

Guest eyeball_tickler

nobody mentions miroslav klose anymore. he would be a great buy if one of the "big 2" left us.

Guest eyeball_tickler

nobody mentions miroslav klose anymore. he would be a great buy if one of the "big 2" left us.

I think people have realised he is out of our league tbf.

if we sell owen then we'll need to replace him with someone as good or better than owen, so the more ambition the better. plus, he's said recently he's probably going to leave the german league soon.

I dont think we are currently in a position at the minute to buy anyone even close to the quality of Owen so if we lose him we are in the shit a bit.

Be another couple of seasons before we are able to attract anyone of Owens level of ability again

Guest gggg
he's said recently he's probably going to leave the german league soon.

He's not going to want to leave a champions league club for a mid table club though is he really.  :lol:

Guest eyeball_tickler

he's said recently he's probably going to leave the german league soon.

He's not going to want to leave a champions league club for a mid table club though is he really.  :lol:

you say "champions league club" like they are actually a really good team. they are only in the qualifiers this season so there's a chance they'll get beat and be a "uefa cup club" like we were last season.

Guest gggg

They are a really good team, better than Bayern Munich and we certainly arent. If they werent in the group of death last year with Chelsea and Barca they would have probably got to the last 32.

So if he stays at Werder hes playing CL footy if he leaves it'll be to someone better. No chance of him coming here.

Marlon King could have been worth a punt but hes just signed a new deal this week with Watford.

Great shout

Not sure what difference it makes but I think he just signed improved terms, don't think the contract length altered.

Guest pont-toon

would be delighted if big sam could persuade claudio pizarro to team up with his mate nobby (and he's on a free)

quality centre forward

Guest pont-toon

would be delighted if big sam could persuade claudio pizarro to team up with his mate nobby (and he's on a free)

quality centre forward

is he the old or the young-ish pizarro?

he's 28 mate

Guest smoggeordie

Marlon King could have been worth a punt but hes just signed a new deal this week with Watford.

Great shout

Aye, a fella who's just been out for a year would solve all our problems.

Sometimes on here you see people say "good call" or "great shout" etc just because it's the first time a player has been mentioned.

Great shout

Aye, a fella who's just been out for a year would solve all our problems.

Sometimes on here you see people say "good call" or "great shout" etc just because it's the first time a player has been mentioned.

Fair point but sometimes it IS a good suggestion and one which many people may have overlooked/forgotten about. King is an example - not an obvious player to be linked with but one who could, perhaps, do a job if we went for him.  :thup:

Gudjohnsen is the man for us. Played for Sam before, talk he could be available in summer. He's exactly what we need- could play with Owen or Martins or you could potentially play them as a three as he can drop in to midfield effectively. Possibly out of our league now but worth a go.