Juve In For Martins.

Crumpy Gunt

Oba just needs some coaching, the like of which Big Al got at Southampton to improve his touch. Whether he'll get that training or not remains to be seen, I for one doubt it.

Something tells me the coaching Martins had in his early years was a damnsight better than what Shearer had at Southampton.

Oba just needs some coaching, the like of which Big Al got at Southampton to improve his touch. Whether he'll get that training or not remains to be seen, I for one doubt it.

Something tells me the coaching Martins had in his early years was a damnsight better than what Shearer had at Southampton.

hey alan learned alot about scrubbing the senior players boots and washing his own kit like it was something he was going to be burried in good training that.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

He probably didn't receive the type of training Al got there, ie specific sessions for him aimed at improving his touch. At Inter it's well known that they just coach defense, that goes for the whole Italian league tbh, many stikers go backwards there because they just play 10-0-0 in training ultra defensive coaching you see.

Ian Branfoot, Dave Merrington and Chris Nichol.

*shudders*

toontownman,Sparks

Some people on this board have the opinion that Martins's movement and touch are so shocking that he cant significantly improve this area of his game at the old age of 22.

Thats why they will be happy to sell him for 12-13m.

Care to put some names to that.......

Guest Knightrider

You would think so, I agree.

Either way though you've just acknowledged that with better coaching or rather the right coaching, a player will or can improve, Martins included.

For Shearer it was Dalglish who taught him so much, just in theory more than anything. This is actually where the great man himself would be really useful to someone like Martins as most of what he needs to learn has nowt to do with ability on the ball (he has plenty of that), but everytyhing off it.

In many ways Martins is your typical young African player, fantastic skills and physically very well equipped but lacking a real understanding of the game. Can he pick up a better understanding of the game? I think so, especially under the canny Allardyce whose attention to detail and analytical view of the game is an important aspect of his 'gameplan'.

toontownman,Sparks

Some people on this board have the opinion that Martins's movement and touch are so shocking that he cant significantly improve this area of his game at the old age of 22.

Alex,Gemmill...

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Either way though you've just acknowledged that with better coaching or rather the right coaching, a player will or can improve, Martins included.

For Shearer it was Dalglish who taught him so much, just in theory more than anything. This is actually where the great man himself would be really useful to someone like Martins as most of what he needs to learn has nowt to do with ability on the ball, but everytyhing off it.

It's both in fairness. You're saying that because it sounds melodramatic enough to fit into one of your bumming sessions but the fact is Martins is very wasteful on the ball at times. I am a supporter of Martins and think he has great potential; if I see an imporvement and more consistency next season I'll be happy enough.

toontownman,Sparks

Alex,Gemmill...

I'll wait for them to confirm that they believe Martins can't improve. Maybe they are as daft as you after all.

toontownman,Sparks

Alex,Gemmill...

I'll wait for them to confirm that they believe Martins 2 can't improve. Maybe they are as daft as you after all.

Apparently he's had the catchafarceico def drummed into him so his first instinct always is to kick the ball away....Just looks like a bad first touch..It's more of a twitch.

Guest Knightrider

For Shearer it was Dalglish who taught him so much, just in theory more than anything. This is actually where the great man himself would be really useful to someone like Martins as most of what he needs to learn has nowt to do with ability on the ball, but everytyhing off it.

It's both in fairness. You're saying that because it sounds melodramatic enough to fit into one of your bumming sessions but the fact is

I haven't a clue what you're saying there, tbh.

Agree with your latter points though.

toontownman,Sparks

Alex,Gemmill...

I'll wait for them to confirm that they believe Martins 2 can't improve. Maybe they are as daft as you after all.

Apparently he's had the catchafarceico def drummed into him so his first instinct always is to kick the ball away....Just looks like a bad first touch..It's more of a twitch.

:D

Think we paid too much for him to begin with and have seen nothing to make me change my mind. If we can turn a small profit on him then I'd snap their hands off. I know he's young and he may improve but I'd rather someone else took that chance on him tbh.

So HTT, are you suggesting our coaching staff, even with Allardyce and his mates, will be better than Inter's?

Guest Knightrider

So HTT, are you suggesting our coaching staff, even with Allardyce and his mates, will be better than Inter's?

Err, aye because I did write that didn't I :lol:

Not saying nowt like that at all, all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility to see Martins improve under better coaching here at Newcastle which I think is a real possibility in fact, or guaranteed.

But surely he'd have learnt a lot already? Even with our sh*t coaching staff last season, surely we'd have seen some signs from what he'd learnt from his Inter days? I just don't think he's going to improve.

Guest Knightrider

But surely he'd have learnt a lot already? Even with our sh*t coaching staff last season, surely we'd have seen some signs from what he'd learnt from his Inter days? I just don't think he's going to improve.

It doesn't work like that though.

And we have seen signs, as already pointed out he has shown himself able to control the ball and to get into good positions, you don't score 17 goals if you can't control a ball or your movement/positioning is non existent. Restated you don't get to play for Inter Milan if you lack the necessary skills to play a high standard of football.

I'm honestly not too worried, he can control the ball well enough (or adequetly enough) to get some joy out of this league (as he's shown) where as positioning/movement is a mental task not a technical ability one.

In fact I'd go as far as saying he can already control the ball pretty well, he wouldn't have gotten this far if he couldn't. Now why does the ball bounce off him, why does he need more touches than required, why does he get his feet stuck, these are what needs looked at not whether he can trap a ball or not, I can even do that man but you ask me to do something with it...

Guest Alan Shearer 9

In fact I'd go as far as saying he can already control the ball pretty well, he wouldn't have gotten this far if he couldn't.

Have you got eyes? You don't just assume that because a player is a pro his technique is great. Look at Ramage FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Martin's ability to trap the ball is quite poor atm, he'd do better just to hit it first time rather than attempt to trap it; sometimes it looks as though he has hit it first time :lol: I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for niow and put it down to the weather or something.

His control is pretty poor and he shows a lack of awareness of what's on around him. These are both worries and need to be improved on if he's to be the answer. His main attribute is his shooting power with either foot and that's why despite his limitations he scored goals last season.

Just as well we signed him instead of a CB or a LB. ;)

Why is there a general feeling that older players can't improve? Yeah there won't be any MAJOR improvements to that specefic area but an improvement is still an improvement, no matter how slight.

Nobody is saying that. The trouble with Martins is, the major flaws in his game are things that usually come naturally to players and aren't coached or taught. Combine that with the fact he's 22 years old and has already had several years at one of the biggest clubs in the world, and there's good reason to feel pessimistic about his chances of improving such basic attributes.

Guest Knightrider

His control is pretty poor and he shows a lack of awareness of what's on around him. These are both worries and need to improved on if he's to be the answer. His main attribute is his shooting power with either foot and that's why despite his limitations he scored goals last season.

Just as well we signed him instead of a CB or a LB. ;)

Bit in bold is more important than his control prowess and is an area that needs worked on and is something that will aid his control. Because his awareness if poor, when he goes towards the ball, he wants to get his foot on it and turn, when all he needs to do is lay it off or take one touch and pass it sideways, then run for a return ball.

Guest Knightrider

Why is there a general feeling that older players can't improve? Yeah there won't be any MAJOR improvements to that specefic area but an improvement is still an improvement, no matter how slight.

The trouble with Martins is, the major flaws in his game are things that usually come naturally to players and aren't coached or taught.

Bullshit, they can be coached and learned. Unless all footballers are born that way :lol:

Who turned Thierry Henry from a failing winger at Juventus into arguably the deadliest striker on the planet?

Was it:

a) Arsene Wenger - a failed defender, who made 13 appearances in his entire career

b) Pat Rice - a good player throughout his career... at right back

or c) Boro Primorac - an 18 times capped Yugoslav centre back

Those are the three main coaches at Arsenal and have been throughout Henry's time there. Which one of those is it that's made him a footballing genius?

The idea that "Martins was at Inter for 6 months while Crespo was there, plus they MUST have the best coaches and therefore he should be the finished article" is so ludicrous that it's not even worth a response. For what it's worth (nowt) Inter coaching staff is also made up of no-one of any note whatsoever as a striker other than Mancini whose goal record was pretty bloody average.

Henry was a top-class player before he signed for Arsenal though. He proved against us in 1997 he had the finishing skills, the pace, the power, great touch, etc.