Benny Benitez: One blunder after another.

Parky

I think Rafa got the tactics more or less spot on. As has been noted, we essentially lost to a lucky goal. I agree that he made the wrong substitutions, though.

I actually thought Pennant had a good game. He won a lot of challenges, got into great positions, but was let down by his final ball. Frankly, I don't think Gerrard played any better, and you can't tell me that had he been on the wing, his touch would have been much better.

As for Zenden, well of course he shouldn't have been on the pitch. Same as Traore two years ago. But what are we supposed to do, when there's no other realistic option? Kewell wasn't fit enough to play for 90 minutes and Gonzalez has been even worse than Zenden.

None of our wingers or strikers are "good enough" to be in a CL final. In the face of that fact, it's a fantastic achievement that we got anywhere near it.

Thought Milan were s***, tbh. Barely a decent performance out there. Bringing Kewell on was a huge f***-up, imo. Bellamy would've been 1,000 times more effective. Crouch came on too late (13 minutes to change a match?) Still, 2 half-arsed performances from both teams: no one deserved to win.

Why is it that whenever we neutralise a side with our formation and tactics (Barcelona, Chelsea, Milan, Juve), they just played shit?

... I still don't feel sorry for the gypsy, thieving, bin-dipping scousers.

I don't "feel sorry" for the pathetic, shoe-waving desperadoes who make up part of your audience when another season comes crashing down in despair, as they all have since the 1950s. But I don't let what joy you may scrape consume me. I think a lot of you do though, and I don't think such bitterness towards superior teams has helped your cause through the years. It can't all be down to poor managers and bad luck, not with the raw materials consistently at your disposal. Need I remind you that a signing you made in 1996 is still more costly than our biggest of all time (though that will likely change this summer)?

who is bitter tonight?

I'm not bitter. I am simply suggesting that certain people would be better off channeling their energy towards what is potentially a very fine club of their own rather than making hideous comments about teams & - worse - people from other cities.

Mourinho has won the CL with Porto btw with a side that cost less than half what you had out tonight.

With arguably a much better side, while he has since repeatedly failed to even get to the final with hundreds of millions to spend.

I think Rafa got the tactics more or less spot on. As has been noted, we essentially lost to a lucky goal. I agree that he made the wrong substitutions, though.

I actually thought Pennant had a good game. He won a lot of challenges, got into great positions, but was let down by his final ball. Frankly, I don't think Gerrard played any better, and you can't tell me that had he been on the wing, his touch would have been much better.

As for Zenden, well of course he shouldn't have been on the pitch. Same as Traore two years ago. But what are we supposed to do, when there's no other realistic option? Kewell wasn't fit enough to play for 90 minutes and Gonzalez has been even worse than Zenden.

None of our wingers or strikers are "good enough" to be in a CL final. In the face of that fact, it's a fantastic achievement that we got anywhere near it.

Thought Milan were s***, tbh. Barely a decent performance out there. Bringing Kewell on was a huge f***-up, imo. Bellamy would've been 1,000 times more effective. Crouch came on too late (13 minutes to change a match?) Still, 2 half-arsed performances from both teams: no one deserved to win.

Why is it that whenever we neutralise a side with our formation and tactics (Barcelona, Chelsea, Milan, Juve), they just played shit?

... I still don't feel sorry for the gypsy, thieving, bin-dipping scousers.

I don't "feel sorry" for the pathetic, shoe-waving desperadoes who make up part of your audience when another season comes crashing down in despair, as they all have since the 1950s. But I don't let what joy you may scrape consume me. I think a lot of you do though, and I don't think such bitterness towards superior teams has helped your cause through the years. It can't all be down to poor managers and bad luck, not with the raw materials consistently at your disposal. Need I remind you that a signing you made in 1996 is still more costly than our biggest of all time (though that will likely change this summer)?

who is bitter tonight?

I'm not bitter. I am simply suggesting that certain people would be better off channeling their energy towards what is potentially a very fine club of their own rather than making hideous comments about teams & - worse - people from other cities.

Mourinho has won the CL with Porto btw with a side that cost less than half what you had out tonight.

With arguably a much better side, while he has since repeatedly failed to even get to the final with hundreds of millions to spend.

Football I've come to realise isn't about money or better sides. It is bigger than that  and that is why we are all fascinated by it.  :)

Guest alex

Surprised he didn't bring on teh Welsh towrag for 20 minutes - they never looked like scoring TBH

Me too. Glad he didn't though. Liverpool losing and Bellamy not even getting on. Class :lol:

Guest optimistic nit

if one person other than gerrard in the liverpool team has the ability to score the winner in a cl final its bellamy though. should have been given 20 mins at least imo.

Guest Knightrider

Did anyone see the look on Bellamy's face when the subs were warming up and he wasn't. :lol:

Will be on his way in the summer.

Cue lots of "would you take Bellers back"? threads.

"Would you take Bellers back"?

To answer the question you have posed, yes, I would, in a heartbeat. Therell hopefully be no Shepherd, and no Shearer, to stop him, so why not?

Hes probably reaching a more mature age as well, who knows. If Butt can redeem himself in the eyes of the fans purely by some solid performances, even Dyer has been forgiven after spitting in the face of a legend like Sir Bobby and shitting on the captains armband - so you can be sure that popularity wont be a problem with Bellamy.

Frank's Wild Years got back from Athens bloody quick, unless he was that lad crying on the steps of the airport like.

Spent all night seething at this thread and building his big reply more like. :lol:

Guest sittingontheball

Bellamy scored one and made the other against Barca.  It makes you wonder why they didn't give him a go yesterday. Even Crouchy didn't get very long.

Starts totally def even though a better manager would have surmised they had the voodoo over Milan.

Team instructed to use Pennant for first 'out' ball, he carries on by wasting cross after cross if he isn't coming inside.

A hesitant Milan for most of the first half and Mascherano not told to move up a bit.

Gerrard confused in no mans land role.

Brings on Keweeeel who hasn't played for 30 years. When it should have been a striker.

Crouch on too late.

Benitez Clueless.  :nope:

And by the looks of the first half they could have won this. blueyes.gif

1. Would Benitez be clueless if by the looks of the first half they could have won this?

2. Liverpool are very much in contention throuought the whole match, even outperforming Milan. They were unlucky to concede a handball goal, and got further punished when they bring in Crouch for Mascherano for more attacking threat.

3. How, in your opinions, could Benitez have done significantly better?

Starts totally def even though a better manager would have surmised they had the voodoo over Milan.

Team instructed to use Pennant for first 'out' ball, he carries on by wasting cross after cross if he isn't coming inside.

A hesitant Milan for most of the first half and Mascherano not told to move up a bit.

Gerrard confused in no mans land role.

Brings on Keweeeel who hasn't played for 30 years. When it should have been a striker.

Crouch on too late.

Benitez Clueless.  :nope:

And by the looks of the first half they could have won this. blueyes.gif

1. Would Benitez be clueless if by the looks of the first half they could have won this?

2. Liverpool are very much in contention throuought the whole match, even outperforming Milan. They were unlucky to concede a handball goal, and got further punished when they bring in Crouch for Mascherano for more attacking threat.

3. How, in your opinions, could Benitez have done significantly better?

If you took the courtesy to read through the thread there are dozens of examples and not just from me I might add. :D

You know what I was actually happy that they didnt bloody win. Scousers were bad enough after their fluke in 2005! Imagine what they'd be like if they won it again!!!

WHO CARES

HOWAY THE LADS...

Here's hoping for a season of blunders by Sam if the net result if getting to the champions league final.

Rafa's main fault is focusing more on Europe that the Premiership. I would be surprised if the Liverpool fans dont start getting restless if every season carries on like. You just know they dont want to get to Man U territory for not having won the league for so long. How long was it for Man U.... 25/26 years