Benny Benitez: One blunder after another.

Parky

Guest Franks Wild Years

You know, I have a certain respect for Newcastle United - I've known plenty of supporters who've been decent sorts, but reading this forum has opened my eyes to how bitter and twisted a lot of you are.

Yeah, there are things that Rafa could've done differently, but no one's perfect. Alex 'Naive In Europe' Ferguson will vouch for that, after his side were torn to shreds by the very same Milan outfit made to look so mediocre tonight. Jose 'I spent half a billion but still can't win the CL with Chelsea' Mourinho will, in his heart of hearts, surely know the same. I'm sure that even Sam Allardyce, a man lauded by the press for achieving the allegedly spectacular, unprecedented feat of leading a small, poor club to promotion and consistent mid-table survival (ala Alan Curbishley) would be able to concede that he has and will continue to make errors (particularly in his abject failure to manage a club past the half-way point of a season).

Back to certain sections of your fanbase - Criticise, laugh all you like. The fact remains that that was our second European Cup final in three seasons. As many as Manchester United have had in their history. F***, no English club has reached more finals in their entire lifespan! That's something to be proud of and savour. It's something that a lot of you know you'll never, ever experience. You won't experience it because your entire lives are spent looking fruitlessly for any piece of silverware, while expending energy on bitterness towards clubs like ours. Let's face it, you're a marginally bigger club than, say, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Not a "sleeping giant" as the deluded might suggest - but a club which needs to drop the delusions of grandeur and concentrate on building foundations. Of humbly looking to a future which might take years to look positive. A club with lots of great fans and plenty of potential and raw materials, but which under no circumstances is presently an illustrious one.

Parky, this thread is pathetic. I know that there is some deep routed psychological issue you have with Rafael Benitez, but please - It only makes you look foolish in the eyes of those with a clue. He's won two league titles in Spain, a UEFA Cup, a Champions League title & an English FA Cup (far more than Newcastle United have won in the last 50 years, by the way). The man is a superb manager, and one who has never had the budget of two enormous clubs in either league he's operated. He hasn't fully come to terms with the English league as of yet (having had a mere three seasons), but then Alex Ferguson needed countless years to do so with Man Utd and remains relatively clueless in Europe. This summer it would appear - for the first time in his career - that he'll be able to match the biggest spenders in the country in which he works. We'll see if you're so gleefully, lip-smackingly happy two or three years down the line. We'll see if a glorious era of Liverpool-besting success is ushered in by the relatively unproven manager who has taken the helm at your club. Then and only then will you truly have something to be delighted about.

Bit harsh on Benitez. The first goal was a fluke, nothing that could have been done about that, and his tactics were pretty sound, with Milan being dominated the entire match by a bunch of mostly mid table Premiership players who collectively form a strong side. The second goal was clearly only a result of them pushing up.

Maybe there can be complaints about the substitutions, but then thats different to saying he got it wrong right from the start.

And lets face it, hes taken an upper mid table Premiership side full of said average players to two CL finals, winning one, and an FA Cup in between, on top of establishing them permanently as a top 4 club with the potential to challenge for the title.

blueyes.gif

Thought Milan were shit, tbh. Barely a decent performance out there. Bringing Kewell on was a huge fuck-up, imo. Bellamy would've been 1,000 times more effective. Crouch came on too late (13 minutes to change a match?) Still, 2 half-arsed performances from both teams: no one deserved to win.

Too right we're bitter. :D

I'm not gonna deny that, i'm realistic. I'd give anything to do what Liverpool have done.

The fact that we've done fuck all isn't gonna stop me wanting Liverpool to lose, mind.

Milan is not a totally s*** team

Nesta - Quality

Pirlo - Quality

Gattuso - Quality

Kaka - Quality

Kaka is the only one really.

The rest are good but their time has been up.

Bollocks; Pirlo was quality tonight as was Nesta before he went off. I agree that a lot of their players are past it to some extent but to say they're a s*** team is daft imo. Milan would trounce us.

Nesta is the dogs bollocks. Insanely good centreback, but then everyone knows this, so his performances get ignored. A "Great tackle, ah its Nesta, oh well its expected from him, make that a decent tackle then because its Nesta" type mentality.

As a side note, I like how our commentators are always the opposite with Carragher, who imo gets even more praise then defenders who are considerably better than him, eg Terry Ferdinand Woodgate Vidic etc - whenever Carragher does something decent, it seems as though its their mission to make sure the viewers know that hes the best thing since sliced bread. The sort of over exaggerated praise you give to retarded kids who suprisingly exceed your expectations.

Bit harsh on Benitez. The first goal was a fluke, nothing that could have been done about that, and his tactics were pretty sound, with Milan being dominated the entire match by a bunch of mostly mid table Premiership players who collectively form a strong side. The second goal was clearly only a result of them pushing up.

Maybe there can be complaints about the substitutions, but then thats different to saying he got it wrong right from the start.

And lets face it, hes taken an upper mid table Premiership side full of said average players to two CL finals, winning one, and an FA Cup in between, on top of establishing them permanently as a top 4 club with the potential to challenge for the title.

I don't really follow any of your reasoning here tbh. As a collective unit Liverpool are very strong but lack creativity hardly a weakness. His mistakes have come back to haunt him and his luck has finally desserted him.

Buying Pennant originally and then -  playing him as the first 'out' ball shows a momumental misjudement of this players ability to construct a second phase movement.

Gerrard has to be the first outball looking up at 2 strikers cause Milan after last time were shitting themselves at the start and probably thinking they had to score 4 to win.

The golden rule against Italian sides is start big.

Thought Milan were shit, tbh. Barely a decent performance out there. Bringing Kewell on was a huge fuck-up, imo. Bellamy would've been 1,000 times more effective. Crouch came on too late (13 minutes to change a match?) Still, 2 half-arsed performances from both teams: no one deserved to win.

agree. big shame milan won when they have no right to be in the competition itself. but i do think benitez made errors, and what a stage to fuck up on, for not the first time (tho in istanbul he managed to rectify his mistake at half time).

Guest Armchair Pundit

You know, I have a certain respect for Newcastle United - I've known plenty of supporters who've been decent sorts, but reading this forum has opened my eyes to how bitter and twisted a lot of you are.

Yeah, there are things that Rafa could've done differently, but no one's perfect. Alex 'Naive In Europe' Ferguson will vouch for that, after his side were torn to shreds by the very same Milan outfit made to look so mediocre tonight. Jose 'I spent half a billion but still can't win the CL with Chelsea' Mourinho will, in his heart of hearts, surely know the same. I'm sure that even Sam Allardyce, a man lauded by the press for achieving the allegedly spectacular, unprecedented feat of leading a small, poor club to promotion and consistent mid-table survival (ala Alan Curbishley) would be able to concede that he has and will continue to make errors (particularly in his abject failure to manage a club past the half-way point of a season).

Back to certain sections of your fanbase - Criticise, laugh all you like. The fact remains that that was our second European Cup final in three seasons. As many as Manchester United have had in their history. F***, no English club has reached more finals in their entire lifespan! That's something to be proud of and savour. It's something that a lot of you know you'll never, ever experience. You won't experience it because your entire lives are spent looking fruitlessly for any piece of silverware, while expending energy on bitterness towards clubs like ours. Let's face it, you're a marginally bigger club than, say, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Not a "sleeping giant" as the deluded might suggest - but a club which needs to drop the delusions of grandeur and concentrate on building foundations. Of humbly looking to a future which might take years to look positive. A club with lots of great fans and plenty of potential and raw materials, but which under no circumstances is presently an illustrious one.

Parky, this thread is pathetic. I know that there is some deep routed psychological issue you have with Rafael Benitez, but please - It only makes you look foolish in the eyes of those with a clue. He's won two league titles in Spain, a UEFA Cup, a Champions League title & an English FA Cup (far more than Newcastle United have won in the last 50 years, by the way). The man is a superb manager, and one who has never had the budget of two enormous clubs in either league he's operated. He hasn't fully come to terms with the English league as of yet (having had a mere three seasons), but then Alex Ferguson needed countless years to do so with Man Utd and remains relatively clueless in Europe. This summer it would appear - for the first time in his career - that he'll be able to match the biggest spenders in the country in which he works. We'll see if you're so gleefully, lip-smackingly happy two or three years down the line. We'll see if a glorious era of Liverpool-besting success is ushered in by the relatively unproven manager who has taken the helm at your club. Then and only then will you truly have something to be delighted about.

... I still don't feel sorry for the gypsy, thieving, bin-dipping scousers.

agree. big shame milan won when they have no right to be in the competition itself. but i do think benitez made errors, and what a stage to fuck up on, for not the first time (tho in istanbul he managed to rectify his mistake at half time).

I don't really want to knock Benitez too much: top manager who's often got the best out of a limited squad (in CL terms). Didn't have the quality on the pitch tonight to win, though, imo.

Guest Franks Wild Years

I don't "feel sorry" for the pathetic, shoe-waving desperadoes who make up part of your audience when another season comes crashing down in despair, as they all have since the 1950s. But I don't let what joy you may scrape consume me. I think a lot of you do though, and I don't think such bitterness towards superior teams has helped your cause through the years. It can't all be down to poor managers and bad luck, not with the raw materials consistently at your disposal. Need I remind you that a signing you made in 1996 is still more costly than our biggest of all time (though that will likely change this summer)?

You have a potentially great club. Focus on that rather than making mass assumptions about people from Liverpool.

I don't really want to knock Benitez too much: top manager who's often got the best out of a limited squad (in CL terms). Didn't have the quality on the pitch tonight to win, though, imo.

i agree he is a great manager, but he is guilty of over egging the pudding at times. playing round with tactics makes him get an amazing amount of productivity out of such a limited squad, but it can also lead to liverpool's downfall at times. i disagree that he didnt have the quality on the pitch tho, milan's strongest team on paper is not that much stronger than liverpool's "best" eleven.

I'm saying and clearly most on here can see he fucked up tonight. Why does that make me look foolish? I don't care if he's won 20 Cups....The point of this thread is he was absolutely off his game TONIGHT.

When I say I've never really rated him yes that's just me, but not the point of the thread.

I don't "feel sorry" for the pathetic, shoe-waving desperadoes who make up part of your audience when another season comes crashing down in despair, as they all have since the 1950s. But I don't let what joy you may scrape consume me. I think a lot of you do though, and I don't think such bitterness towards superior teams has helped your cause through the years. It can't all be down to poor managers and bad luck, not with the raw materials consistently at your disposal. Need I remind you that a signing you made in 1996 is still more costly than our biggest of all time (though that will likely change this summer)?

who is bitter tonight?

Guest Franks Wild Years

who is bitter tonight?

I'm not bitter. I am simply suggesting that certain people would be better off channeling their energy towards what is potentially a very fine club of their own rather than making hideous comments about teams & - worse - people from other cities.

who is bitter tonight?

I'm not bitter. I am simply suggesting that certain people would be better off channeling their energy towards what is potentially a very fine club of their own rather than making hideous comments about teams & - worse - people from other cities.

Saying Rafa was tactically bankcrupt tonight is a hideous comment??

Fucking hell. mackems.gif

Will just post it again tbh.

Too right we're bitter. :D

I'm not gonna deny that, i'm realistic. I'd give anything to do what Liverpool have done.

The fact that we've done fuck all isn't gonna stop me wanting Liverpool to lose, mind.

We're bitter, yup. Doesn't effect the team's performances. We haven't failed for the past 50 years cos the fans are 'bitter'. :rolleyes:

Not going to stop us revelling in the fact that the Scousers can't come out with their sentimental bollocks for atleast another 12 months.

Guest Knightrider

Franks Wild Years fuck off with your patronising shite, unlike you I doubt anyone here gives a fuck what you think about NUFC or us as fans and nor should you care what we think about yous as fans or your club. I for one actually like LFC as a club and have some friends who are Reds, no bother at all, but I can see why many don't like yous and some of the tosh in your OP is why.

who is bitter tonight?

Mourinho has won the CL with Porto btw with a side that cost less than half what you had out tonight.

who is bitter tonight?

course you are, any real football fan would be spitting blood after losing a big final, no shame in that. and for the record i was sad to see liverpool lose so it's not neccessarily true that a discussion about benitez's tactics is always going to be borne out of bitterness.

As i pointed out earlier, FWY, you're basically just bragging here. You've got the right to i suppose, but you're just another arrogant bastard Scouser, and the epitomy of why a lot of us are pleased with tonight's outcome.