Why we won't be signing any of our transfer targets!

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

I think that once Ashley gets a majority and is obliged to make an offer for the rest of the shares, the company will have to suspend trading, meaning we won't be able to buy any players until the takeover is finalised.

With Ashley saying he wants to be in full control by the start of the season we may be in a position where we cannot buy any of our targets at all this summer, especially if FF tries to fight the takeover.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Guest Gemmill

I can definitely see this whole thing causing some disruption.  It's pretty disappointing considering we all thought we had finally got a manager in at the right time, but at the same time, it's probably worth it in the long term.  Let's just hope Allardyce doesn't jack it in if he feels his work is being undermined.

It will causes disruption but surely its almost impossible to go into the new season without making any signings. We had a small squad anyway and let people go, plus there is a strong chance Owen will be off so we would be stuffed.

But the long term picture is most important.

I can't see how 'suspend trading' would mean that we couldn't conduct transfers. That's just the normal business of the company. The equivelent would be an Oil company in the middle of a takeover having to shut down its petrol stations and not do any selling.

There is absolutely no reason why the change in ownership has to interrupt recruitment.

One needs to keep in mind that business operations are only affected by business ownership if the new owners decide they want to review hiring practices.  But given Ashley has stated he is happy with Sam's plans it can be assumed his hiring plans are included in that.

Sam will have rung Ashley by now and asked him what his plans are, or at least whether Sam needs to alter his plans.  Ashley will most likely have him to continue business as usual.

Guest Gemmill

Sam will have rung Ashley by now and asked him what his plans are, or at least whether Sam needs to alter his plans.  Ashley will most likely have him to continue business as usual.

I doubt Allardyce has initiated any contact with Ashley.  As far as he is concerned, Freddy Shepherd is his chairman, and the man who holds the purse strings, and until he's told otherwise he'll stick to dealing with Shepherd.  Whether Ashley has contacted Allardyce is anyone's guess, but I would think that unlikely too, as it's only likely to piss Shepherd off more.

I doubt Allardyce has initiated any contact with Ashley.  As far as he is concerned, Freddy Shepherd is his chairman, and the man who holds the purse strings, and until he's told otherwise he'll stick to dealing with Shepherd.  Whether Ashley has contacted Allardyce is anyone's guess, but I would think that unlikely too, as it's only likely to piss Shepherd off more.

There certainly wont have been any communication that anyone will admit to.  But you don't get to Sam's position without knowing how to run a few below the radar conversations.  I am in no doubt that as soon as Sam heard he will have been searching for Ashley's mobile phone number.

I think it will certainly effect some of our transfer targets in the short term - for instance I think any hope of signing Mark Viduka has disappeared because clubs will be clamouring for his signature and we won't be at the party.

Another one might be Leighton Baines - if the chase for his signature starts in the next week or so we might be left behind on that one too.

I think with Freddy still the incumbent chairman we are relying on his sense of honour to keep promises to Big Sam about transfer budgets - after all, the money does not come from the pockets of the chairman or Mike Ashley but either cash the club has, or financing arranged by the board (who may very well be reluctant to seek such financing when the shareholders are in such a state of flux...)

Unless of course Mike Ashley opens his wallet directly to Big Sam, which at this point in time, most unlikely

i can't see it hindering any signings (unless  they're for a really large transfer fee). i could see that it would delay them for a bit as players would be unsure of signing into a club that's in a transition period.

I think with Freddy still the incumbent chairman we are relying on his sense of honour to keep promises to Big Sam about transfer budgets - after all, the money does not come from the pockets of the chairman or Mike Ashley but either cash the club has, or financing arranged by the board (who may very well be reluctant to seek such financing when the shareholders are in such a state of flux...)

Shepherd does the negotiating for new players. Will he be interested in doing that when he knows he is fighting a losing battle and isn't going to be chairman soon? Spending the PLC's money on players shouldn't affect Shepherd's share values so there is no reason not to keep working on transfers. He may just spit the dummy though because he knows he isn't going to be chairman (so much for always having the best interests of NUFC in mind).

Typical Shepherd, says he'll move aside if a 'Geordie Abramovich' came along. 'Geordie' being the operative word. He probably checked the Sunday Times Rich List to check that their wasn't a billionaire Geordie before he came out with that one.

I think that once Ashley gets a majority and is obliged to make an offer for the rest of the shares, the company will have to suspend trading, meaning we won't be able to buy any players until the takeover is finalised.

With Ashley saying he wants to be in full control by the start of the season we may be in a position where we cannot buy any of our targets at all this summer, especially if FF tries to fight the takeover.

Am I right or am I wrong?

he's already in the position of having to offer to buy the rest of the shares.

"trading suspended" means the trading in shares,not as a company.

Yeah, "trading suspended" only applys to the trading of shares on the stock-exchange. It's a rule to stop companys trading when their share price becomes or is likely to become excessively volatile due to uncertainty.. which is nothing new for NUFC.

It doesn't stop the day-to-day running of the club and how we spend our cash though. However with the ownership of the club up for grabs it may make the situation somewhat harder.

:frantic:

Guest Gemmill

Even if he is, everything's so up in the air that nobody can be "in the know" on this one.

Guest DavB93

Don't think it will hinder our signings much...watch this space.

Is you ITK matey?

Not really ITK as of such should we say but do have to agree with Gemmill and that nobody could of antisipated this and alot of plans maybe on the back burner. Just hope it gets sorted sooner rather than later.

Is you ITK matey?

Not really ITK as of such should we say but do have to agree with Gemmill and that nobody could of antisipated this and alot of plans maybe on the back burner. Just hope it gets sorted sooner rather than later.

Sam will insist he is allowed to push ahead I'm sure. I have no worries on this score. The money after all BELONGS TO THE CLUB and not FS or A. Even if a transitional board is running things with non-executive directors which can happen to protect 'the company' in these situations.

Guest DavB93

Is you ITK matey?

Sam will insist he is allowed to push ahead I'm sure. I have no worries on this score. The money after all BELONGS TO THE CLUB and not FS or A. Even if a transitional board is running things with non-executive directors which can happen to protect 'the company' in these situations.

Was it not indicated when Sam signed he'd have around 20m-30m to spend anyhow before the takeover.

Is you ITK matey?

Was it not indicated when Sam signed he'd have around 20m-30m to spend anyhow before the takeover.

Yes.

Yes but Shepherd does the negotiating for new players. Will he be interested in doing that when he knows that he's on his way out. He says he has the best interests of NUFC at heart but do we believe him? He also came out with that rubbish about Hall trying to sell his shares earlier in the year was stopping the club buy players. Anyway, he's also in hospital at the moment so that will slow things down too.