The only person who was here when we last won a trophy is finally awarded!!

Toon_Crazy

Guest alex

Is she the one who was pouring the tea out after that press conference had already started (when Souness was manager)? That was class.

Guest smoggeordie

LEGENDARY Newcastle United tea lady Kathleen Cassidy  has received a Special Achievement Award following 40 years at the club.

The loveable 80-year-old was honoured for her services at The Official Football Hospitality Awards held at St.James' Park this week.

Kath first started out at Gallowgate in the early 1960s and has been a familiar face in the club's press room ever since.

Every journalist who visits St.James', be it local or national, wants to have their tea poured by Kath, and when she celebrated her 80th birthday recently they all got together to sing 'Happy Birthday' and present her with cake and flowers.

Jane Shepstone, director of catering, said: "Although Kath has been under the weather of late, she still turns up for every game, although we have managed to talk her into doing a shorter shift on matchdays now she's 80.

"When she had a spell in hospital a couple of years ago, she had a home visit from our then manager Graeme Souness to see when she would be back at work.

"Kath is a remarkable woman and when she was widowed a few years ago, she told me working at the football club kept her going, and helped her get back on her feet.

"She is loved by all the staff and management, she is so loyal, relaible, hardworking and full of fun.

"To be honest, I don't know what Newcastle United would do without her."

38 years is not a very long time, really.  Seems like only yesterday (38 years ago!!) that we were all at the airport on a hot summers day, getting the photos as the players came out of the terminal building, back from Ujpest Dozsa.

I borrowed my dads camera - and got in trouble for that - then I got in trouble again (as he was also a fan) when none of the photos came out.  Well, there was a reason for that, as I hadn't put a film in the camera. I was a youngun, and hadn't used his 'posh' camera before, and I thought there was a film in it.

Anyway - while 38 years is NOT a long time, it is when you are a club like NUFC, and you haven't won a major trophy in all that time!!

(Shouldn't be long now though . . .  thank you Mr Ashley . . .  I hope!)

Guest Invicta_Toon

wtf are we doing with such outdated outmoded tea dispensing expertise at this club?

Guest icemanblue

wtf are we doing with such outdated outmoded tea dispensing expertise at this club?

Ha. Ha.

When she had a spell in hospital a couple of years ago, she had a home visit from our then manager Graeme Souness to see when she would be back at work.

"Are ye feingning injury Cassidy, are ye going on Sky Sports calling me an effin liar, back iin work monday or its the dwight yorke treatment next time."

Graeme Souness - Hand on Kathleen Cassidy's throat ramming her against a hospital wall.