Luke Young

Cajun
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playing in that shitty Charlton team probably didn't do him any favours this season, and if we can't get any better it'd be 2m well spent.

He'd be a significant improvement on Carr.

Same argument didn't hold water a while ago when people talked about Heskey being an improvement on Ameobi. A player is either good enough for where we want to be or isn't. Young isn't a big enough improvement.

Enough money has been wasted already, the club needs to buy players who are a significant improvement on what we already have.

Playing in that shitty Charlton team probably didn't do him any favours this season, and if we can't get any better it'd be 2m well spent.

Same argument didn't hold water a while ago when people talked about Heskey being an improvement on Ameobi. A player is either good enough for where we want to be or isn't. Young isn't a big enough improvement.

Enough money has been wasted already, the club needs to buy players who are a significant improvement on what we already have.

Young IS a significant improvement on Carr.

Well putting on one side the fact I don't agree with that, even if you're right it doesn't mean he's good enough for the level we should be aiming for. We need to do better than Young.

:clap:

I'd agree but the fact remains that while Young is average, Carr is absolutely dreadful. Neither is good enough to hold down a first team spot if we want to get to where we all want to go. 

I'd agree but the fact remains that while Young is average, Carr is absolutely dreadful. Neither is good enough to hold down a first team spot if we want to get to where we all want to go. 

In the short to medium term, we are looking at what, top 7? I reckon Young is good for that. For the kind of money talked about here, certainly.

In the short to medium term, we are looking at what, top 7? I reckon Young is good for that. For the kind of money talked about here, certainly.

He'd be a stop gap. I don't want the club to sign stop gaps.

I think he's good enough to be in a team/squad in the top 7.

Many players are stop gaps before the club moves on to bigger and better things. There are only 2 players in our squad capable of top 4 football, so what exactly SHOULD we be signing? We're not going to get 11 world beaters in one go, its a gradual process.

See what you're getting at but I think we should be aiming for top 4 tbh. Agree with HTL, we should be looking for a RB who's good enough to compete in a top 4 side. Luke Young isn't the answer. Yes, he'd improve us but it would mean replacing him in 2 years time with someone better. Let's just sign the better player now. I know that sounds glib as fuck but the player we need is out there and I trust Allardyce to find him.  O0

I'd take Luke Young at £2million.  We need players who are better than our current crop and we don't need un-proven gambles right now.  Luke Young is better than our current right backs and is not costing a silly amount.  Sign him.

Guest Morph

But he's not good enough.  He may be better than what we've got, but fuck me, so am I.  Sign me up on that basis.

Many players are stop gaps before the club moves on to bigger and better things. There are only 2 players in our squad capable of top 4 football, so what exactly SHOULD we be signing? We're not going to get 11 world beaters in one go, its a gradual process.

Exactly, we have positions in the squad that are a lot bigger priority than spunking a huge sum of money on a right back (HTL doesn't understand the concept of priority so there is no point trying to explain it to him). Young and Solano would be a big improvement on what we currently have and we wouldn't be spending a big percentage of our total transfer fund, then next season when the squad is hopefully more equiped in general we can look at a top class right back, Solano will go to South America and Young can compete/be a squad player.

But hey thats just crazy talk, lets spend £10m on Miguel and hope the likes of Ramage, Carroll and Pattison suddenly become top class players and cover all the other positions we are in desperate need of!

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

No.  We should go for better.

he has international experience and would probably be a regular if nev wasnt in the squad. At one point he was being linked with nearly every club.

Its about time we realised that top 4 level players arent going to be interested in us at the minute and would probably laugh at teh suggestion of signing for us. Especially if, under Sam, we are going to move away from the mentality of just throwing huge wages at players to get them here.

For a short while, the likes of Luke Young are the kind of players that we are going to have to look at.

Sometime I think people forget that from the outside, at the minute we are a just lower mid table team that are consistently in internal turmoil.

he has international experience and would probably be a regular if nev wasnt in the squad. At one point he was being linked with nearly every club.

Balls. He's never going to be an England regular.

Balls. He's never going to be an England regular.

Neither are almost all of the English players some of us want to keep.

See what you're getting at but I think we should be aiming for top 4 tbh. Agree with HTL, we should be looking for a RB who's good enough to compete in a top 4 side. Luke Young isn't the answer. Yes, he'd improve us but it would mean replacing him in 2 years time with someone better. Let's just sign the better player now. I know that sounds glib as fuck but the player we need is out there and I trust Allardyce to find him.  O0

We are currently so far from a top 4 side that its laughable. Apart from Given and Owen, not one other player os capable of playing at that level properly. Its a pipe dream to want top 4 players in every position. You have to be a big club to get that, and we are far from a big club.

Young woudl greatly improve our squad, and give a genuine alternative to a rapidly ageing  right winger at right back. If thats a bad thing, then you must hate the rest of our squad more than i do, because they aren't good enough for the top 4 either.

Guest Johan

Exactly, we have positions in the squad that are a lot bigger priority than spunking a huge sum of money on a right back (HTL doesn't understand the concept of priority so there is no point trying to explain it to him). Young and Solano would be a big improvement on what we currently have and we wouldn't be spending a big percentage of our total transfer fund, then next season when the squad is hopefully more equiped in general we can look at a top class right back, Solano will go to South America and Young can compete/be a squad player.

But hey thats just crazy talk, lets spend £10m on Miguel and hope the likes of Ramage, Carroll and Pattison suddenly become top class players and cover all the other positions we are in desperate need of!

Great post, I agree 100%! You need a squad where all are able to do their jobs, no real weaknesses and then a couple of players who can shine. Enough of this forking up 17 million on Owen or any other one player when the defense is fucking crap. Lets get a decent level all over the pitch and then go for the big stars to take us to the next level.

We are currently so far from a top 4 side that its laughable. Apart from Given and Owen, not one other player os capable of playing at that level properly. Its a pipe dream to want top 4 players in every position. You have to be a big club to get that, and we are far from a big club.

Young woudl greatly improve our squad, and give a genuine alternative to a rapidly ageing  right winger at right back. If thats a bad thing, then you must hate the rest of our squad more than i do, because they aren't good enough for the top 4 either.

Never said they were tbh.  :undecided:

Just think that we should be scouring the globe for the bloke who's better than Young to take us back into the top 4. Not that long ago since we finished top 4 you know!  :lol:

Just think that we should be scouring the globe for the bloke who's better than Young to take us back into the top 4. Not that long ago since we finished top 4 you know!  :lol:

I couldn't give a toss how long ago since we finished top 4 - twice out of the last 10 seasons, the last being 4 ago - you clearly can't think the rest of the squad are up to it. Like signing Duff last season, its the same thing - wrong priority. I'd rather take a RB good enough for the top 7 (which should be our short/medium term place) and get similar players in other positions, rather than pretend we can attract top top players.

We have, in my opinion, 7 or 8 players who can comfortably play at that level. Lets get the rest in, and build from there.

I couldn't give a toss how long ago since we finished top 4 - twice out of the last 10 seasons, the last being 4 ago - you clearly can't think the rest of the squad are up to it. Like signing Duff last season, its the same thing - wrong priority. I'd rather take a RB good enough for the top 7 (which should be our short/medium term place) and get similar players in other positions, rather than pretend we can attract top top players.

We have, in my opinion, 7 or 8 players who can comfortably play at that level. Lets get the rest in, and build from there.

If you can read my mind then read this..................................

Get that? Goodnight mate.  :rolleyes:

If you can read my mind then read this..................................

Get that? Goodnight mate.  :rolleyes:

1) You sid you wanted to scour wherever to find a bloke to lead us to the top 4. The factthatyou failed to mention the other 8 first teamers, plus backup players we'd need, led me to that conclusion.

2) <concentrates>....urgh, you pervert. No thank you, i'm not that type.