Beckham back in England squad

Dave

I don't see the point of Barry in the England squad though. Sure, he's neat and tidy, but he's never going to start, when you're chasing a goal, he's not the type you'd bring on when you need a bit of inspiration to make or grab a goal, and he's not the type to bring on when you need to cling on for dear life.

Barry can play left mid, centre mid or left back so his versatility alone makes him a better squad player than Jenas.

Seconded. I share your sentiments on that.

Guest Magpiecn

no point bringing beckham,he cant change a lot for england now.If he come back , I afraid his bad influence on England about tactics ,spirit,will occur again.

Guest kingdawson

Exactement. If Jenas was good enough to start for England then fair enough, but he's not, and he's not an impact player, so no point of having him on the bench.

Dont get me wrong i rate Barry as a player BUT the description you gave Jenas would be more or less the same desription i would give Barry.

If i was him, I'd tell McLaren to stick it up his cunt.

As would I, but I think he's desperate to get to 100 caps.

He has been playing brilliantly for Madrid lately, though, and definitely deserves his place.

Exactement. If Jenas was good enough to start for England then fair enough, but he's not, and he's not an impact player, so no point of having him on the bench.

Dont get me wrong i rate Barry as a player BUT the description you gave Jenas would be more or less the same desription i would give Barry.

Can Jenas play left-back or left-midfield?

If i was him, I'd tell McLaren to stick it up his cunt.

As would I, but I think he's desperate to get to 100 caps.

He has been playing brilliantly for Madrid lately, though, and definitely deserves his place.

Wasn't he on about Gareth Barry? Point probably still stands though.

Guest kingdawson

But you original description didnt say a word about versatility.

TBH Jenas can also fill in at right back and right midfield.

But you original description didnt say a word about versatility.

TBH Jenas can also fill in at right back and right midfield.

I'll never, ever, ever believe that. And besides, it's not even relevant, as Barry is natural in all three positions - whereas Jenas would merely be 'filling in', even if he could.

Guest Guinness

Well he's playing quite well at the moment so perhaps his place is justified, I'm just baffled as to how Phil Neville constantly makes the squad.

McLaren is shit scared of the press and has brought Beckham back because he hasnt got the nuts to face should we happen to perform badly in the next game.

He is probably hoping that if theylose, then the press will focus on beckham and not him.

Massive pressure on Beckham to perform

He's still better than Lennon at the moment and he's worth having in the squad.  Bentley should be first choice IMO, but there's no reason Beckham shouldn't have a place.  Dropping him after the World Cup was just a symbolic decision from McClaren....trying to assert himself as the man in charge.  But we all know there were other players (Lampard) that performed worse than Beckham but remained untouchable. 

He's still better than Lennon at the moment and he's worth having in the squad.  Bentley should be first choice IMO, but there's no reason Beckham shouldn't have a place.  Dropping him after the World Cup was just a symbolic decision from McClaren....trying to assert himself as the man in charge.  But we all know there were other players (Lampard) that performed worse than Beckham but remained untouchable. 

I think this is more about Mclaren than Beckham to be honest. I think we all know that it was a symbolic decision to drop him as apposed to just dropping a poor player. To now re-instate him shows very weak management. Clock must already be ticking on McLaren's time as Manager.

Does it not also send a message out to therest of the squad to say "your all shit without Beckham" ???

Our National Squad is a fucking shambles

I think this is more about Mclaren than Beckham to be honest. I think we all know that it was a symbolic decision to drop him as apposed to just dropping a poor player. To now re-instate him shows very weak management. Clock must already be ticking on McLaren's time as Manager.

Does it not also send a message out to therest of the squad to say "your all s*** without Beckham" ???

Our National Squad is a f****** shambles

My thoughts too.

In all honesty, McClaren wouldn't even be in my top 10 choices for England manager.

People can say English managers are not given a chance to perform, to learn etc etc (club level or international level)...

To me.. it's all excuses... If one is really a good manager, everybody will be on his/her trail...

A fact is a fact... people gauge each other by their successes...

Same thing with demand and supply... if you are good, naturally people will demand you... but it appears English managers, for some reasons are not able to make the cut. This is something the FA should reflect upon.

Look around for successful managers who are english today... are you able to find any? Nope.

PS: I've nothing against English managers. I just wanted to be objective and state a fact.

Regards,

Ericz.

So Lennon is injured and out of the up coming England games.

pretty handy that... means Beckham has got an automatic slot straight in there and McLaren doednt have to make a choice.

Beckham back trying to make 60 yeard hollywood passes. Lampard and Gerrard clashing with each other in the centre.

Same old shite

Beckham has been in excellent form over the last third of the season in spain and fully deserves his call up. Somebody please tell me who is better than him out there on the right? He is the only winger we have with an actual end product .i.e. gets ball into box (decently!).

I wouldn't worry about what we do in the finals, we may not get to them if we don't change things...

Simply a sign of McClaren's desperation - Beckham has been a spent force for England for nearly 3 years - his performance in the 2004 Euros was a disgrace, esp as he was Capt. Eriksson didn't have the balls to drop him, or face a battle with the shirt sponsors by doing so.

Compare this with Big Phil & Portugal - didn't hesitate to pull off Figo when he felt it necessary..

Never felt Beckham was a GREAT player at all, and certainly NOT a great England Captain - over-hyped,one-trick pony, darling of the media who worship tat & trivia.

George Best had it right;'Apart from the fact that he can't dribble, beat a man with pace, use his left foot, or head the ball, he's not a bad player..!!'

Definitely a retrograde step to select him again.

Man of the match as Real Madrid took a step closer to the title this weekend, David Beckham is only two games away from his final bow, two wins from leading Madrid to a first trophy since he arrived by private jet and police cavalcade back in the sweltering summer of 2003. He is, as one screaming Spanish headline put it yesterday, 180 minutes from heaven. At last.

And yet, as he continued his crusade to end the club's longest trophy drought in half a century, as fans applauded him from the field, so the realisation dawned: very soon it will be all over. Not just for another season but for good. Beckham is about to depart Real Madrid and, with it, top-flight football. Major League Soccer has always appeared a kind of semi-retirement.

That would be fine if Beckham were a spent force. Instead he appears reborn. Madrid will miss him; perhaps this is the final fling of a man who knows time is running out, but the goodbye looks premature. His team-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy last night said as much. "It is too early for David to be going to America," the Dutchman insisted and, deep down, Beckham may feel the same way.

Beckham may have insisted that he can carry on playing for England even after leaving for Los Angeles, noting that the US season is shorter, but his new employers will have other ideas about such a huge investment jetting back to Europe mid-season, and maintaining England form may prove impossible. It would only be natural for him to feel a twinge of regret at departing Europe aged 32, the key player at a club poised to win the league title.

But, then, things have changed. Beckham claimed to have turned down Milan to join LA Galaxy. That may well be true but he also chose the MLS at a time when his options had begun closing down.

After losing his place in the wake of Madrid's 2-0 humiliation at the hands of Lyon back in September, Beckham barely played, Capello relegating him to fourth choice on the right. By Christmas he had started only five times in the league and twice in the Champions League. And when he did start, Madrid's record was appalling: those five league starts accounted for three of their four defeats, with only one victory, while in Europe they had a solitary, irrelevant draw. He started Madrid's first game back after Christmas and they lost to Deportivo La Coruña.

Capello's mind appeared to be made up and, as Beckham stalled on a new contract, Madrid's position hardened. Meanwhile, another man whose mind was made up was Steve McClaren. Much as he claimed the door was still open, in truth it appeared double-bolted. Beckham certainly thought so. There was little left to lose by going to the US.

In fact, he nearly lost the one thing he did have left to lose: a final shot at a trophy with Madrid. When he announced his departure for LA on January 11, Capello followed club orders and insisted that he would never play for Madrid again. Real's president, Ramón Calderón, reacted even more petulantly, describing him as "half an actor, off to Hollywood" and claiming "no one wanted him anyway". How foolish Calderón looks now, insisting he would love Beckham to continue in Spain.

A month's ostracism followed but, with Madrid collapsing, Beckham was recalled and immediately saved the coach's skin with a goal against Real Sociedad. A seven-week injury followed but he has proven hugely important since he returned for a second time, providing assists against Recreativo, Valencia and Athletic.

The England recall followed and he celebrated by again performing superbly against Deportivo on Saturday night, providing two assists and countless wonderful passes and hitting the post with a free-kick. "He was unbelievable," whispered Deportivo's beaten players in hushed tones. "He's playing better than he has in two years," insisted Capello.

That is something of an exaggeration but suddenly Madrid have realised what they will be missing. Although Beckham's snipe that "the same people who want me to stay now thought I was not good enough six months ago" pointed the finger at Calderón, he will be grateful to those who wish he could stay, to those who believe that the MLS is too little, too soon.

"He could easily have carried on in a higher level than the MLS," said Guti, and Van Nistelrooy felt a pang of regret when his team-mate's name was included in McClaren's squad - proof that Beckham was hasty in turning to the US.

"We'd been talking about it every day leading up to the squad announcement, saying 'Hey, Becks, two more days' then 'One more day'," Van Nistelrooy said. "David was so happy to be called up for his country. Lots of players would have just given in, but not Becks. Only the greats have an attitude like that. That's why he deserves to be back in the England side and back at the highest level."

Highest level hardly describes the MLS, though, and Van Nistelrooy added: "With the form he's showing he could continue for years, but I'm not sure he can change [the decision to go to LA] now. I feel it's too early for David to be going to America."

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/05/28/american_dream_too_little_too.html

1. Don't know why Foster, Bent, Rooney aren't picked. Is Rooney injured or something?

2. Agree with the Beckham call up. He deserves it.

3. Don't know why Green, Neville, Jenas, Smith and Dawson are picked.

From the selection my starting line up will be

Carson

Brown, Terry, Ferdinand, Bridge

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole

Owen, Crouch