Nani

Guest nufc 4 life
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest nufc 4 life

I'd like a say on this as the creator of this thread  :tickedoff: KingDawson please fuck off whichever thread you post in you always seem to cause an argument.

Casting that idiot aside can we get back to the old Nani debate please  :thup:

That doesn't really make sense. How could you feel any emotion about something you clearly value so very little? Just think about that one. I reckon that most football fans, never mind Spurs fans, would be happy for them to win the Carling Cup. Man Utd certainly didn't seem too embarassed about enjoying their triumph the season before last. TBH, I think you (Newcastle fans as a whole) would feel the same. I personally think there's still more glory in winning a cup than finishing 4th. Maybe not money, but that's not what football's supposed to be about.

Of course you can feel emotion towards something you originally valued little, because the longer the competition goes on and your odds on winning it narrow, the more involved you feel. Would I like to win the Uefa Cup? Of course, but that doesn't mean I have to value the competition to begin with.

Look at Palermo this season, was it the first time they ever qualified for Europe or something like that? Even their chairman wanted them to play a weakened team because it isn't valued highly enough, if I had to rate it as a competition it would be on par with the Carling cup, way below the FA Cup.

It's all about opinions really, although some are very clearly formed by bias. I've no doubt that mine are to an extent, but I'm equally sure that your's are too - both towards Newcastle, and against Spurs. We've finished 5th for two seasons in a row now (one of which we really should have finished 4th), which I'd view as a sign that we're on a higher level than those below us - especially when you consider that we had to play, what, an extra 15 games or so more than the likes of Everton and Bolton this season. Then I think there's a very clear difference in the quality of players at Spurs, and the amount of them we have (again, this may be bias speaking) - the likes of Berbatov, Keane, Defoe, Lennon, Zokora, King, Chimbonda, and even Jenas, would walk into virtually every team below us.

I don't doubt you have better players than the majority of teams below you, but that doesn't necessarily make your team better, I've read several threads on Spurs boards about how good your defense is on paper yet your goals conceded column tells a different story, that suggests it's not how good the individuals you have are but how they gel as a unit, squad wise the majority of our starting 11 would walk into teams that finished higher than us this season, yet because of poor management we've finished below teams with inferior players.

I don't think it is as glaringly obvious as you seem to make out, that you suddenly will have a chance of cracking the top 4 under Allardyce. And I'm not sure why Jol is regarded as being an inferior manager - in fact, if you look at his achievements in Holland, he did a very similar job, taking clubs of similar stature to Bolton up a league and eventually challenging for Europe, as well as winning a cup or two along the way - and then turning Spurs, a club who'd finished 14th before he took over, into an established top 5-6 club, leading us to our highest ever finish in the league, qualifying for Europe for the first time in donkeys, building a quality squad that can think about challenging for the top spots, and becoming serious competitors in the cups.

Tbf I didn't say it was glaringly obvious, I said it was my opinion, Allardyce has done a fantastic job to turn Bolton into a top 8 team while spending £16 million in the past 8 years so the hope is with better finances and players he could move us up higher, Jol done well in Holland but it isn't the same as what Allardyce did in the Premiership in all fairness, if you took out PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord then the rest of the league was Championship standard at best at the time, you can't give him the credit for putting the Spurs squad together either as the majority of it is out of his control, Arnasen and Comolli get most of the credit for that.

Personally I don't rate Jol that much, he's done well to finish 5th 2 seasons running but with the squad of players at his disposal I don't think he's overachieved in any way, I also don't recall him ever outsmarting a manager tactically, would you have finished 5th if Allardyce had finished the season at Bolton? Maybe, maybe not.

Personally, I don't mind your opinions, although I don't particularly like it when you take it as fact that Newcastle are a bigger club than Spurs. I didn't do it before, but very shortly: some players do choose us over you (I know that Malbranque did, while it was reported that Chimbonda and Berbatov too). You have larger attendances simply because your stadium is bigger - I don't think it'll be too long before our stadium issue is resolved and WHL is considerably expanded. Using a site which was posted here only a few days back (http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2006/490/), it seems as if we do have a larger fan base than you. Our spending power is not to be laughed at - we were only a place behind you in the last 'rich list' that came out (extremely impressive, considering our decade or so of midtable mediocrity and no lucrative European football to speak of), while our spending over the last 3 years has totalled roughly £80m. And then we outdo you in terms of honours and trophies won, and how recent those successes have been. That's MY view on things though...and I do think it'll take at least a season or two before you even overtake us, let alone break into the top 4. Spurs have already rebuilt and are doing things the right way, from top to bottom. Some more money and a new manager are only a small step in the right direction.

Gah, what a waste of time. Far too long. Knew I didn't want to get involved  >:(

The big club argument bores me to tears tbh, although I'd be interested to see the links where Berbatov and Chimbonda turned us down, Malbranque was known to not want to leave London so I wouldn't get over excited about that one either.

Your link to a site where it says Spurs have more fans is an interesting one, I wouldn't be surprised if you do have more fans around the country, however there is a difference between someone being a fan and someone who actively goes out of there way with time and money to support the club, could Spurs sell out a 52,000 seater stadium on a regular basis, I don't think you'd get anywhere near tbh, that has been done to death on here already though (search 48,000 if you want to read it) I also think it says alot about your supporters that you couldn't even sell out your semi final against Arsenal, you point to the fact you only had 5 days to sell them yet if Newcastle had a semi final against Sunderland I think it would be sold out within 24 hours.

It may well be a season or 2 before we overtake you, however the gap isn't as big as some might think IMO, shame we'll have to wait a few months to find out. :undecided:

Guest Knightrider

I value the UEFA Cup as a trophy, but not the competition itself and I'm quite relieved we aren't in it this season tbh as it's a hinderance in many ways and is not a financial lifeline whatsoever.

Guest Knightrider

It may well be a season or 2 before we overtake you, however the gap isn't as big as some might think IMO, shame we'll have to wait a few months to find out. :undecided:

The gap off the pitch is huge and key. On it there isn't much of a gap at all, not one that can't be fixed anyway, even in a short period of time. We once went from 11th to 4th and Spurs could just as easily go from 5th to 14th like we did under Souness. Although given their foundations off the pitch they are far more likely to recover quickly any setback and that is where we need to develop, the foundations.

I value the UEFA Cup as a trophy, but not the competition itself and I'm quite relieved we aren't in it this season tbh as it's a hinderance in many ways and is not a financial lifeline whatsoever.

When you consider it's going to be an extra £1 million per league place, I would of thought the last thing any team would want is the possibility of a dozen or more games every other thursday throughout the season to distract them.

I wasn't going to bother, but some of the stuff I've read on here has been pretty pathetic. I've read countless posts saying you'd give an awful lot to finish 5th. Your board didn't act like the UEFA Cup was a nothing competition when you were participating in it last season, and the upset and dissapointment when you got knocked out certainly didn't reflect those views. You can't brag about finishing 4th (in a far less competitive climate) a good few years ago, and then discount cups and trophies won by Spurs. TBH, I can understand it, as you expect any fan to defend their club...but the fact that this is so often debated by Spurs and Newcastle alike, suggests that it's a lot closer than both sets of fans choose to believe. Ask a neutral, and I'm sure it won't be as clear cut as you think.

Being gutted about getting knocked out of the Uefa cup doesn't mean we still don't class it as a nothing competition, the same way as the majority of Spurs fans think the Carling cup is a nothing competition yet were gutted when you got knocked out last season, the fact is with the Uefa cup you have to play about a dozen games before you come up against anyone decent in the knock outs, in our last 3 Uefa cup campaigns I'd guess we've played 30ish games and only lost 3 match, and we've been s**** for the majority of that time, that tells you the standard of the football in that competition.

As for Spurs finishing 5th, It doesn't bother me as I don't see you as good enough to catch the top 4, finishing 5th is a good achievement but you're no better than Bolton or Everton IMO, apart from the top 4 there are another 5 or 6 teams who are around the same level. We on the other hand have been awful, I don't think anyone will deny that yet what most of us believe with a good manager we stand a chance of cracking the top 4 again.

If this takeover does go through then we'll stand a better chance of cracking the top 4 under Allardyce than you will under Jol IMO, you may not agree with it or the opinion of Spurs as a club but I couldn't really care, if you don't like the opinions of Newcastle fans then don't read the forum.

That doesn't really make sense. How could you feel any emotion about something you clearly value so very little? Just think about that one. I reckon that most football fans, never mind Spurs fans, would be happy for them to win the Carling Cup. Man Utd certainly didn't seem too embarassed about enjoying their triumph the season before last. TBH, I think you (Newcastle fans as a whole) would feel the same. I personally think there's still more glory in winning a cup than finishing 4th. Maybe not money, but that's not what football's supposed to be about.

It's all about opinions really, although some are very clearly formed by bias. I've no doubt that mine are to an extent, but I'm equally sure that your's are too - both towards Newcastle, and against Spurs. We've finished 5th for two seasons in a row now (one of which we really should have finished 4th), which I'd view as a sign that we're on a higher level than those below us - especially when you consider that we had to play, what, an extra 15 games or so more than the likes of Everton and Bolton this season. Then I think there's a very clear difference in the quality of players at Spurs, and the amount of them we have (again, this may be bias speaking) - the likes of Berbatov, Keane, Defoe, Lennon, Zokora, King, Chimbonda, and even Jenas, would walk into virtually every team below us.

I don't think it is as glaringly obvious as you seem to make out, that you suddenly will have a chance of cracking the top 4 under Allardyce. And I'm not sure why Jol is regarded as being an inferior manager - in fact, if you look at his achievements in Holland, he did a very similar job, taking clubs of similar stature to Bolton up a league and eventually challenging for Europe, as well as winning a cup or two along the way - and then turning Spurs, a club who'd finished 14th before he took over, into an established top 5-6 club, leading us to our highest ever finish in the league, qualifying for Europe for the first time in donkeys, building a quality squad that can think about challenging for the top spots, and becoming serious competitors in the cups.

Personally, I don't mind your opinions, although I don't particularly like it when you take it as fact that Newcastle are a bigger club than Spurs. I didn't do it before, but very shortly: some players do choose us over you (I know that Malbranque did, while it was reported that Chimbonda and Berbatov too). You have larger attendances simply because your stadium is bigger - I don't think it'll be too long before our stadium issue is resolved and WHL is considerably expanded. Using a site which was posted here only a few days back (http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2006/490/), it seems as if we do have a larger fan base than you. Our spending power is not to be laughed at - we were only a place behind you in the last 'rich list' that came out (extremely impressive, considering our decade or so of midtable mediocrity and no lucrative European football to speak of), while our spending over the last 3 years has totalled roughly £80m. And then we outdo you in terms of honours and trophies won, and how recent those successes have been. That's MY view on things though...and I do think it'll take at least a season or two before you even overtake us, let alone break into the top 4. Spurs have already rebuilt and are doing things the right way, from top to bottom. Some more money and a new manager are only a small step in the right direction.

Gah, what a waste of time. Far too long. Knew I didn't want to get involved  >:(

One of the single most laughable things I've ever read.

You state Spurs have a bigger fanbase than Newcastle based on a survey in which the findings reveal:

Tottenham  ;D

Aston Villa  ;D ;D

West Ham  ;D

Everton  ;D

Leicester City   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Norwich City  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D mackems.gif

Middlesbrough  ;D ;D ;D ;D  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

Southampton  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hearts  ;D ;D

Wolverhampton Wanderers  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sheffield Wednesday  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

..............have more fans than Sunderland.  The survey reveals Middlesbrough have double Sunderland's support.  mackems.gif

Obviously the above demonstrates what a joke that survey is.  I would accept due to the glory hunting nature of the masses across the country Liverpool and Man Utd have a bigger fanbase than us, but anyone else I don't think so. 

All have bigger fanbases than Sunderland.  Sunderland are a bigger club than Tottenham, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I've had this discussion with a few mackems many times, naturally they agree but you are a mickey mouse club, and I fuckin hate yiz.  I remember when you brung FOUR HUNDRED up here in 1999.  I remember when we nearly got given extra tickets for the FACSF at Old Trafford because you were struggling to sell out on GENERAL SALE.  I remember when we beat you 7-1, 6-1 and 4-0 in the space of 6 years.  You're a nothing club, never will amount to anything, there's no mystique about the club nothing, and have a s*** fanbase.

You come FIFTH and get excited about it "what an achievement".  Our manager basically got sacked for coming fifth.  I can name eight players now who turned you down for us.  I can't honestly believe you have the audacity to believe Tottenham Hotspur are anywhere near the size of Newcastle United, it's truely laughable.  You were the sort of team three four years ago where you'd pat you on the head and think good lads, you probably deserve better nearly filling your ground out most weeks, but the arrogance you've gained the last two seasons is beyond belief.  We never even used to think about your pathetic club as any sort of rivalry or anything.  Truely I believe you will return to your natural level 9-16th very soon, which is where I believe the stature of your club deserves to be.  If I sound like a c*** good because 99% of your fans are c***s, with their ridiculous notion that somehow your this massive sporting empire in North London.  I repeat you're not as big as Sunderland never mind fuckin us.

Guest kingdawson

I wasn't going to bother, but some of the stuff I've read on here has been pretty pathetic. I've read countless posts saying you'd give an awful lot to finish 5th. Your board didn't act like the UEFA Cup was a nothing competition when you were participating in it last season, and the upset and dissapointment when you got knocked out certainly didn't reflect those views. You can't brag about finishing 4th (in a far less competitive climate) a good few years ago, and then discount cups and trophies won by Spurs. TBH, I can understand it, as you expect any fan to defend their club...but the fact that this is so often debated by Spurs and Newcastle alike, suggests that it's a lot closer than both sets of fans choose to believe. Ask a neutral, and I'm sure it won't be as clear cut as you think.

Being gutted about getting knocked out of the Uefa cup doesn't mean we still don't class it as a nothing competition, the same way as the majority of Spurs fans think the Carling cup is a nothing competition yet were gutted when you got knocked out last season, the fact is with the Uefa cup you have to play about a dozen games before you come up against anyone decent in the knock outs, in our last 3 Uefa cup campaigns I'd guess we've played 30ish games and only lost 3 match, and we've been s**** for the majority of that time, that tells you the standard of the football in that competition.

As for Spurs finishing 5th, It doesn't bother me as I don't see you as good enough to catch the top 4, finishing 5th is a good achievement but you're no better than Bolton or Everton IMO, apart from the top 4 there are another 5 or 6 teams who are around the same level. We on the other hand have been awful, I don't think anyone will deny that yet what most of us believe with a good manager we stand a chance of cracking the top 4 again.

If this takeover does go through then we'll stand a better chance of cracking the top 4 under Allardyce than you will under Jol IMO, you may not agree with it or the opinion of Spurs as a club but I couldn't really care, if you don't like the opinions of Newcastle fans then don't read the forum.

One of the single most laughable things I've ever read.

You state Spurs have a bigger fanbase than Newcastle based on a survey in which the findings reveal:

Tottenham  ;D

Aston Villa  ;D ;D

West Ham  ;D

Everton  ;D

Leicester City   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Norwich City  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D mackems.gif

Middlesbrough  ;D ;D ;D ;D  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

Southampton  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hearts  ;D ;D

Wolverhampton Wanderers  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sheffield Wednesday  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

..............have more fans than Sunderland.  The survey reveals Middlesbrough have double Sunderland's support.  mackems.gif

Obviously the above demonstrates what a joke that survey is.  I would accept due to the glory hunting nature of the masses across the country Liverpool and Man Utd have a bigger fanbase than us, but anyone else I don't think so. 

All have bigger fanbases than Sunderland.  Sunderland are a bigger club than Tottenham, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I've had this discussion with a few mackems many times, naturally they agree but you are a mickey mouse club, and I fuckin hate yiz.  I remember when you brung FOUR HUNDRED up here in 1999.  I remember when we nearly got given extra tickets for the FACSF at Old Trafford because you were struggling to sell out on GENERAL SALE.  I remember when we beat you 7-1, 6-1 and 4-0 in the space of 6 years.  You're a nothing club, never will amount to anything, there's no mystique about the club nothing, and have a s*** fanbase.

You come FIFTH and get excited about it "what an achievement".  Our manager basically got sacked for coming fifth.  I can name eight players now who turned you down for us.  I can't honestly believe you have the audacity to believe Tottenham Hotspur are anywhere near the size of Newcastle United, it's truely laughable.  You were the sort of team three four years ago where you'd pat you on the head and think good lads, you probably deserve better nearly filling your ground out most weeks, but the arrogance you've gained the last two seasons is beyond belief.  We never even used to think about your pathetic club as any sort of rivalry or anything.  Truely I believe you will return to your natural level 9-16th very soon, which is where I believe the stature of your club deserves to be.  If I sound like a c*** good because 99% of your fans are c***s, with their ridiculous notion that somehow your this massive sporting empire in North London.  I repeat you're not as big as Sunderland never mind fuckin us.

You said more or less the exact same thing last season when you also GUARANTEED you'd finish above us.  Tut tut boasting gets you no where stevie.

Regarding Spurs I have always had a problem with them since the days they got Waddle & then Gazza off us. And we have bought some shite off them Stimson & Garland & I am sure they loaned us a pleb called Paul Moran. It took us years to get our revenge on them by selling them Scotty & Foxy.

Guest Triglett

I did start writing a response, but I think it's best we leave this alone. I don't want to waste hours and hours arguing over an an age-old debate which I doubt will ever reach a conclusion - it's fucking boring anyway.

But really, how many classic Newcastle players can you find on Pro Evo, huh? Huh? I've built a whole squad's worth of Spurs. So there.

it's f****** boring anyway

Of course it is because it's such a non-debate and so clear cut.

I will admit Spurs have more Talksport presenter fans than us, and they're wanks too.

Guest Triglett

it's f****** boring anyway

Of course it is because it's such a non-debate and so clear cut.

I will admit Spurs have more Talksport presenter fans than us, and they're wanks too.

K then  O0

Guest Alan Shearer 9

More to the point, Nani is never worth £12 million. He's not particularly skillful, strong, pacy, or technically proficient enough to make him worth that fee.

More to the point, Nani is never worth £12 million. He's not particularly skillful, strong, pacy, or technically proficient enough to make him worth that fee.

Then what is Nani famous for?

Being linked to Spurs and Man U by the looks of it, if he wasn't I bet 90% of this forum would have never heard of the lad!

Being linked to Spurs and Man U by the looks of it, if he wasn't I bet 90% of this forum would have never heard of the lad!

Being likened to Cristiano Ronaldo.

Football Manager.

Theres a guy from French football called Jimmy Briand and is likened to Thierry Henry - that will probably bump his value up a bit.

Being likened to Cristiano Ronaldo.

Football Manager.

Theres a guy from French football called Jimmy Briand and is likened to Thierry Henry - that will probably bump his value up a bit.

Andy Carroll is a "Similar type player to Shola Ameobi" - FM

But i saw Nani is a few games this season, he's ok and he can get better, he  got a little bit of all.. and can defintley get better in the future.