Is there anyone good enough for Newcastle United?

Guest Knightrider

Not after the s*** Irish one you sold us last time, nein danke.

It was worth a try, the one you got is better than the one we ended up keeping, at least he was when he was here.

That's true enough. He's a tryer, Hughes, and a nice, model pro style bloke, but he just makes the same mistakes over and over again. Stands off his man far too long, lets people start to go past him, sticks a leg out hopefully, gets away with it most of the time, but when he doesn't .....

Got a run out towards the end of the season after not getting a game for months, did precisely the above and we got punished by a goal within 20 mins of starting the game.

Aaron Hughes all over. Was probably never really good enough for us, either, despite some outstanding performances. He has simply never changed his style of play since day one and will never be a success at a club with big aspirations. If we'd have had better fullbacks in the Robson era things could have been even better. The stand-off approach of his used to drive me crackers as well . He's like the ultimate soft-shite nice guy on the pitch.

Defenders shouldn't be like that. Shame though, because as you say he's a model pro sort of a bloke. Fairly average like, but probably not a bad lad to have in a dressing room. Saying that, nobody's perfect and he did have his moments for us, but what you've just described there is Aaron Hughes all over and you'll find posts saying that about him going back years if they're still on the 'net.

In fairness, I wouldn't be that worried at having him at the club as back-up, as you say, his attitude is excellent, and he'd be useful to have around the kids, I'd imagine, but his limitations are tending to get shown up more often these days. I don't want him as our first choice right back, though.

Although we took Phil Bardsley on loan from Man United as his replacement for most of the season, and tbh, he wasn't really much better. Expect to see him punted around for more loan deals next season.

Aaron Hughes was good enough for us... our defence has been a joke for too long and infact i'd have probably have put him as one of our better defenders at the time.

Yep, but I think that said more about the defence than Aaron Hughes.

Still, selling Hughes and keeping Bramble, then signing duds like Carr and Moore was a step backwards.

Aaron Hughes was good enough for us... our defence has been a joke for too long and infact i'd have probably have put him as one of our better defenders at the time.

Actually it's quite a joke how high we were up in Robson's tenure before signing Woodgate when you look at our defence on paper. However we didn't half defend from the front which took a lot of pressure off the said defenders.

Yep, but I think that said more about the defence than Aaron Hughes.

Still, selling Hughes and keeping Bramble, then signing duds like Carr and Moore was a step backwards.

Tbf to Carr i was actually pleased we signed him at the time, my opinion was a solid right back whod just left his club as captain and would be a very solid signing and although i wasn't too sure about Moore due to his off field problems, i'd heard a lot of good things from his time at Rangers so i was satisfied as it was on a free.

Left back was problem under Bobby & the right footed Hughes often played there, even when Elliott,Bernard & Quinn were fit. What made it  more bizzare was that Bob had signed all 3 of them.

can't rememeber,did hughes really play left back when bernard was fit?

Yes but it did get phased out once Olly established himself

Juve V Toon

Newcastle: Given, Griffin, Hughes, O'Brien, Dabizas, Jenas, Dyer, Solano, Robert, Speed, Shearer.

Subs: Harper, Elliott, Bramble, LuaLua, Ameobi, Bernard, Viana.

Notice the 2 leftbacks on the bence

Yes but it did phased out once Olly established himself

Juve V Toon

Newcastle: Given, Griffin, Hughes, O'Brien, Dabizas, Jenas, Dyer, Solano, Robert, Speed, Shearer.

Subs: Harper, Elliott, Bramble, LuaLua, Ameobi, Bernard, Viana. .

Got robbed that game.

aye we did............................but stop trying to blind me with nostlagia,that was only one game and (haven't checked mind) don't think it was a regular occurence

that was only one game and (haven't checked mind) don't think it was a regular occurence

V The Scum

Newcastle: Given, Griffin, Hughes, O'Brien (Caldwell),  Woodgate,Solano, Jenas, Dyer, Viana (Bernard), Shearer (Ameobi), Bellamy Subs not used: Harper, LuaLua

Off to sleep now. But it did happen often

I can't believe Aaron Hughes ever played against Juventus.

Andy Griffin scored against Juventus, that's much worse.

:cheesy:

in off buffon mind

Still... we battered them that night.

remember griffins tackle on di viao(?) more than the goal

United: Given, Hughes, Woodgate, Bramble, Griffin, Solano (Jenas 64), Speed, Dyer, Robert (Viana 76), Shearer (Ameobi 85), Bellamy  Subs (not used): O'Brien, Harper

Blackburn: Friedel, Tugay (Grabbi 69), Flitcroft, Sukur, Duff, Yorke (Cole 62), Gillespie, Berg, Short, Gresko, Taylor  Subs (not used): Todd, Dunn, Kelly

SIR Bobby Robson made three changes to the side that lost to Barcelona in midweek for Saturday's visit of Blackburn Rovers.

Aaron Hughes returned at the expense of Olivier Bernard, while Jonathan Woodgate came in for Andy O'Brien and fit-again Gary Speed came back into the starting line-up so Jermaine Jenas dropped to the bench.

2 :D

that was only one game and (haven't checked mind) don't think it was a regular occurence

V The Scum

Newcastle: Given, Griffin, Hughes, O'Brien (Caldwell),  Woodgate,Solano, Jenas, Dyer, Viana (Bernard), Shearer (Ameobi), Bellamy Subs not used: Harper, LuaLua

thats only 2 games and (haven't checked mind) don't think it was a regular occurence.

in off buffon mind

Aye he nearly put him on Shepherd's lap.

Regarding Aaron Hughes, I genuinely don't think he was a bad defender, either at full back or centre half.  His problem for me, his main problem was his distribution.  Whenever he played behind Nobby and went on the overlap every time I expected a shit cross, and I was rarely disappointed.

Having said that Hughes was a better player for us than ANY of his succesors, and in particular Steven Carr, and I still believe selling him WHEN we did was a mistake.

V The Scum

Newcastle: Given, Griffin, Hughes, O'Brien (Caldwell),  Woodgate,Solano, Jenas, Dyer, Viana (Bernard), Shearer (Ameobi), Bellamy Subs not used: Harper, LuaLua

thats only 2 games and (haven't checked mind) don't think it was a regular occurence.

One more then. It did happen for a long period of time, it was only the latter part of Bobby era he played Bernard.

V Man Utd

NEWCASTLE UTD: Given, Griffin, O'Brien, Bramble, Hughes, Robert (Viana 72), Dyer, Speed, Bowyer (Jenas 72), Shearer, Ameobi (Chopra 72).

Subs Not Used: Harper, Bernard.

in off buffon mind

Regarding Aaron Hughes, I genuinely don't think he was a bad defender, either at full back or centre half.  His problem for me, his main problem was his distribution.  Whenever he played behind Nobby and went on the overlap every time I expected a shit cross, and I was rarely disappointed.

Having said that Hughes was a better player for us than ANY of his succesors, and in particular Steven Carr, and I still believe selling him WHEN we did was a mistake.

That surprises me, I'd actually say that side of his game has improved of late, and I'd almost go as far as to say he's a pretty decent crosser of the ball nowadays.

V The Scum

One more then. It did happen for a long period of time, it was only the latter part of Bobby era he played Bernard.

V Man Utd

NEWCASTLE UTD: Given, Griffin, O'Brien, Bramble, Hughes, Robert (Viana 72), Dyer, Speed, Bowyer (Jenas 72), Shearer, Ameobi (Chopra 72).

Subs Not Used: Harper, Bernard.

point teken,but bernard did come very good in the end.

the end being the season or two when he was good as opposed to this season.

now i remember on at that time wasn't bernard often seen more as a midfielder and used when robert was unfit or am i getting my years mixed up...i remember before he established himself at left back he often played midfield.

in off buffon mind

Regarding Aaron Hughes, I genuinely don't think he was a bad defender, either at full back or centre half.  His problem for me, his main problem was his distribution.  Whenever he played behind Nobby and went on the overlap every time I expected a s*** cross, and I was rarely disappointed.

That surprises me, I'd actually say that side of his game has improved of late, and I'd almost go as far as to say he's a pretty decent crosser of the ball nowadays.

His crossing was abysmal here.  Was like groundhog day watching him cross.

in off buffon mind

Regarding Aaron Hughes, I genuinely don't think he was a bad defender, either at full back or centre half.  His problem for me, his main problem was his distribution.  Whenever he played behind Nobby and went on the overlap every time I expected a s*** cross, and I was rarely disappointed.

His crossing was abysmal here.  Was like groundhog day watching him cross.

Maybe I'm thinking it was better than it was due to the sheer relief of seeing him do something other than "defend".