The Barton/Parker transfers - a sign of things to come?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I think so!

The impending transfer out of Scott Parker and the arrival of Joey Barton is proof positive that Sam Allardyce is his own man and not a yes man, and this is just one of the many things that will be needed to turn this club around.  :thup:

Under Roeder the prospect of Barton being signed would have been met with disapproval by many I'm sure where as for many (maybe not on N.O) the departure of the club captain would seem a strange one (just look on rival fan forums to see the "can't believe they're getting rid of Parker" reaction). Indeed I was looking forward to seeing what the new manager could bring to the likes of Parker (and even the Brambles) and part of me is disappointed that I'll not get to find out. However this ruthless, dispassionate style is exactly what we need.

You would think someone like Scott Parker would be quite useful to any new manager and that the manager would at least attempt to get to the bottom of why this player is unhappy and like to work with him first, to ascertain things, but not Big Sam whose attitude seems to be "we're going places with or without you, if you want to go, no skin off my nose" and  isn't it fucking great.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit of Parker was giving the captain's armband by Roeder just to keep him happy as rumours he wasn't happy here have existed since his first season.

Also under Roeder he talked a lot about signing only those with good characters and while at the time it appealed, long term it is always gonna be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face and anyway, why should it be one over the other? Sam obviously cares about having the right kind of characters at his club but it won't blind him or rule over him like it seemed to do Roeder and again this dispassionate style is great.

I bet a few people have whispered to him "you can't sign Barton man, he's trouble" but why should he conform just because past managers have had problems with troubled players. Like already stated, that will always lead to cutting off your nose to spite your face scenarios and none of the best managers have ever worked like that.

He's obviously highly confident he can keep Barton in check and so should we be. And if not? Well we have a manager who is ruthless and who won't stick by wayward stars like others have with the likes of Dyer et al.

This is just the start folks of something good and with Ashley on board, maybe something good.  :clap:

Normally the sale of a club captain (I rate Parker still) and the arrival of a troubled player would leave me disappointed but not now.

Carry on Sam.

Lets see Viduka, Haim and others arrive and more departures of the 'old skool'.

I wonder why we still have to sell before we buy.

Not that I care a fuck over Parker departing but the Barton purchase is entirely dependant on the Parker sale being finalised it would seem.

Perhaps not much at this stage has changed.

Guest Knightrider

Not that I care a fuck over Parker departing but the Barton purchase is entirely dependant on the Parker sale being finalised it would seem.

Probably the takeover or Big Sam not wanting to see too many departures without any coming in.

Guest Toon83

Great piece of business and agree with all that the original post says.

Parker out for £7-8.5m and Barton in for £5.5m is great business, IMO Barton is the better player and i am confident that Allardyce will keep him on the straight and narrow.

Not necassarily the case, in my opinion. Parker's departure became inevitable - we needed a replacement.

*Past tense tone is now relevant, before anyone picks me up on it

Guest gggg

Need to get rid of Dyer now.

West Ham??

I think Curbishleys trying to get rid of the baby bentley brigade not bring more in.  :lol:

Perhaps with the current takeover hanging over the club the only funds Allardyce can spend at this exact moment are those raised by selling players? In a week or two or three he'll have access to a proper transfer fund maybe.

West Ham??

Read an ITK (a mate of 2 pools) on another forum saying that Taylor had been told he was first choice centre back next season and Dyer had been told he was playing Right Back (which he has done beofre for Ipswich, England and NUFC).

Guest posadageordie

West Ham??

Read an ITK (a mate of 2 pools) on another forum saying that Taylor had been told he was first choice centre back next season and Dyer had been told he was playing Right Back (which he has done beofre for Ipswich, England and NUFC).

Ikey the tinker is scum.

Where would that leave Nobby?

West Ham??

Ikey the tinker is scum.

Never a truer word spoken, suppose it's his fault we're getting CGI erros anarl.

Guest posadageordie

West Ham??

Ikey the tinker is scum.

Never a truer word spoken, suppose it's his fault we're getting CGI erros anarl.

Never stick your cock in the USB port.

No idea, just passing on what TCA told Taylor, Owen and Dyer when he met them prior to the England B game last week.

Guest posadageordie

I can see Solano being played in a 3 man midfield without wingers next year. Pure speculation, I'm probably way out, but I wouldn't be amazed if it happened.

No idea, just passing on what TCA told Taylor, Owen and Dyer when he met them prior to the England B game last week.

Somebody needs to send Allardyce a video of Dyer's far post defending.

Guest posadageordie

Somebody needs to send Allardyce a video of Dyer's far post defending.

"I'm a little teapot, short and stout"

I can see Solano being played in a 3 man midfield without wingers next year. Pure speculation, I'm probably way out, but I wouldn't be amazed if it happened.

Yuk... can you remember when Souness tried to deploy him as a 'narrow winger'.

Not saying you're wrong, mind... just yukking.

Dyer's best game for me over the past few seasons was when he had to go to right-back away at Villa in '04.

"Look at me, my names HTT, no fucker reads my posts because they're so f****** long. I like to think that my posts are GREAT, and think everyones bumfucks me for writing something meaningful, but I ignore the fact that I'm really being bumfucked because I have the power. I'm a little bit like Alan Oliver and like to force my own ideas onto others. That is why I bummed Ottmar Hitzfeld so much and campaig"

:clap:

Guest Knightrider

"Look at me, my names HTT, no fucker reads my posts because they're so f****** long. I like to think that my posts are GREAT, and think everyones bumfucks me for writing something meaningful, but I ignore the fact that I'm really being bumfucked because I have the power. I'm a little bit like Alan Oliver and like to force my own ideas onto others. That is why I bummed Sam Allardyce so much and campaig"

:clap:

FYP

:D