Germany 06: One year On

Guest BooBoo

Guest Knightrider

3: Enforce a transfer window during the big competitions.

? ? ?  ???

So no player can be signed or sold during the WC or EC.

? ? ?  ???

a transfer window allows players to be signed.

you mean - enforce to close the transfer window during the big competitions.

Guest Knightrider

? ? ?  ???

Aye

? ? ?  ???

Aye

how would that help though?

Guest Immsy7

International football tournaments are a mess because:

1: By the time the big competitions come around the world's top players are fatigued and mentally drained after long and hard campaigns with their clubs often fighting it out on all fronts for the top honours.

2: The seeding prevents progress in minor nations meaning the WC will always be won by a superpower.

3: The world's best managers work in club football and not international football meaning.

4: Variation and unique styles are being lost due to the one glove fits all standardisation of global football. For example the Brazilan team gets less Brazilian and more European with every year, this is down to their best players playing in Europe and being de-coached out of the Brazilian way if you like. The best example of this would be Ronaldinho. This is happening across the board.

5: Creativity has been replaced by speed, power, stamina and athleticism in football as the key components of a footballer. The true playmakers of the game often lose out to those who are more powerful, quicker and have better stamina lkevels, this goes for teams too.

6: New stadiums aren't conducive to creating a carnival atmosphere meaning most games become just another game being played. As a result the big competitions have lost their meaning as a festival or carnival of football.

7: The fear of losing has replaced the joy of perfoming and it shows in many performances as teams go into a match not looking to win, but to not lose. When this mentality effects the likes of Brazil you know something is wrong.

8: The EC and WC is now one big shopping window and as such players from lesser nations hoping to win big deals with big clubs are scared to make a mistake or push the boat, preffering instead to play a safe game.

9: Too many awful teams get through such as Saudi Arabia who were beaten 8-0 once by Germany, no team who gets such a beaten should ever be allowed to take part in the World Cup.

10: The hype that surrounds big competitions is so overwhelming no team or player could possibly ever live up to the high expectations placed on them. The biggest example of how damaging this can be is England.

I prepose the following:

1: The powers that be need to do away with seeds and group stages and leave the tournaments 100% to fate and sudden death, truly 100% knock out competitions. If you've qualified for it you deserve to have the same chance of progression as any other team. Once past the qualifying stage it should be a clean slate for all instead of the current walled garden setup.

2: 80% of tickets need to go to fans to help create better atmospheres. Prices also need to be reduced significantly so more and more new fans can get to experience these events.

4: Encourage more club managers to get into football by making the job a part-time one across the board.

5: Do away with pointless friendlies to ease fixture congestions and create international get together weeks. Also give international managers a pre-season with their players before all major competitions. This will require that all domestic seasons start late end early during international tournament seasons.

6: Make it law for each national team to contain at least 7 players in their squads who play their football in their own country to add unique to them and varied styles to teams.

7: Do away with the 3rd generation family links that allows teams like Scotland to play Yorkshiremen whose great great great grandad was half Scottish. This will force nations to start producing their own talent or using their own players meaning giving people a chance.

8: Even up qualifying groups so that the competitions aren't dominated by the big nations or samey samey teams.

9: Any player cheating to get sent home from such competitions and for their football associations to be fined.

10: Improve standard of refereeing and introduce technology to the sport.

Top Post mate! Agree with most of what u say, not too sre about the trasfer window business though

Guest alex

6. Wouldn't work for small/poor nations either. It would be grossly unfair imo. Some good points though. Not sure what to do about international football and the World Cup in particular. It's on its arse.

I enjoyed it. Admittedly some of the teams expected to perform didn't, but Argentina at the beginning played some great stuff, Germany were a breath of fresh air for once, the Italy/Germany semi was fucking epic, so fuck if it wasn't "great football", it's about the battle. There were some good games, if you actually think about it. And that's all that should matter, not expectations of who YOU think should do well.

Was a let down if you only go into a WC expecting Brazil to do well. I think if we applied the same standards we have on this WC to every single stage and game of the others, we'd see just as dull a tournament, especially 2002.

Also thought Germany as host put on a good show, and wish I'd gone over.

Group stages was class. Some really good games and some really good teams.

Turned out to be the biggest anti-climax ever - the knockout stages were absolutely shit. And i mean, absolutely rotten. Insanely negative and loathesomely boring. Only good game i can remember from the group stages was Argentina-Mexico. Which bring me onto another point, Brazil didn't perform and the tournament's two best teams played each other in the quarter-finals (Germans-Argies), while two distinctly average performers played out the final.

As for England? Hells bells. Struggling past Trinidad & Tobago and Ecuador. Ho hum.

Guest Magpiecn

The atmosphere in Germany is terrific.Germans are friendly.None of games is remarkable to me.But if I have to take one,its Germany vs Argentina

I remember being really really excited about America having a chance this year.

Then I remember actually watching them play.

Then I remember being more focused on the mexican girls wearing tri colored hotpants all over the place.

I would have paid money to have the US play like England did last year.

Guest smoggeordie

I remember being really really excited about America having a chance this year.

Then I remember actually watching them play.

Then I remember being more focused on the mexican girls wearing tri colored hotpants all over the place.

I would have paid money to have the US play like England did last year.

A fool and his money are easily parted tbh.

6: Make it law for each national team to contain at least 7 players in their squads who play their football in their own country to add unique to them and varied styles to teams.

7: Do away with the 3rd generation family links that allows teams like Scotland to play Yorkshiremen whose great great great grandad was half Scottish. This will force nations to start producing their own talent or using their own players meaning giving people a chance.

:clap:

International football is sh*t. I remember watching the Sweden game in a sulk through nearly all of it because you could see Owen was f*cked and wouldn't play for us for a long time, yet all my mates were going crazy about the match and I was just standing there thinking what the f*ck.

That's a sh*t idea, sorry. How the hell would the likes of the Asian & African teams ever be able to compete?

Guest BooBoo

I think you have to go back to the Euros in 2000 for a really good quality International Tournament (well, that England have been in).

Basically improvements for me are

1. Cut down number of domestic games

2. Tighten up refereeing

3. Do something useful about diving

1. Whoever said that the tournament suffered from the effects on top players of a very long and gruelling European season was right. Realistically, I think whoever proposed comps should be limited to 18 teams had it spot on, but I know due to TV money this will never happen. You can see the effects of fatigue on players at the end of the season this year, ideally I think it should have ended a month earlier. Also whilst I understand the reasons for keeping them, I think it might be time to abandon second round replays in the FA Cup. And bring back golden goal extra time. This would cut down time on the field in cup matches significantly.

I suppose the only solution to this would be for FIFA to place a ban on any league matches, and perhaps also cup matches, up to two months before the world cup.

2. Other than that, there is too big a variation in refereeing standards. Whilst some refs would hand out cards left and right (up to 3 yellows even!), others preferred to maintain discipline by simply being good referees. I'd like to see the former cut and only invite the latter to the world cup next time. Why they need to bring so many damn referees and then cut the shit ones after they bugger up some game is beyond me. Why not just cut the crap ones before it starts. Furthermore the blatant protection afforded certain star players in the group stages to ensure they didn't get injured was a farce.

3. Lastly of course FIFA needs to do something more harsh about simulation. At least an automatic one game suspension to go with the yellow card. NOTHING ruins a tournament like seeing your team bow out because some primadonna takes a big swan dive.

Apart from that I thought the tournament was pretty good. Germany, Spain, Argentina and France all played attacking, entertaining games even in the knockout stages. Brazil and England were extremely sub-par but the crapness of their managers didn't detract from the tournament as a whole for me.

Oh and lastly whoever said tickets should only be for fans was spot on. And by fans I dont mean clowns from around the world that don a brazilian shirt for a few weeks every four years.

That's a sh*t idea, sorry. How the hell would the likes of the Asian & African teams ever be able to compete?

Agreed, Ireland would be fucked for one.

Not fair if a team has no worthwhile national league that they should be forced to bring lesser players. This would all just play into the hands of the big nations, which goes against what you're saying about trying to stop the superpowers always winning.

My memory of last years World Cup will always be that Argentina v Germany game in the quarters.

Never in my life have I seen a manager get it so wrong.

Argies take the lead and look like they could easily coast to a 2 or 3 goal victory. Germany are putting absolutely nothing together going forward, struggling to even get the ball near Argentina's box, never mind creating any chances.

So what do the Argentinians do? Completely take their foot off the gas and sit back allowing the Germans to go at them. They even take of Riquelme, who'd arguably been their best player in the tournament and replace him with a holding midfielder in Cambiasso. Then with 10 minutes to go they make their final substitution... Cruz on for Crespo. A straight fucking swap, bringing on a worse player at that.

Inevitably the Germans get a poxy goal out of nothing and it goes to extra time with the Argentinians having Riquelme no longer on the field and Messi, who'd looked dynamite when he came on as a sub in earlier games, as an unused sub.

They go into extra time having somehow raped their entire team of any creative player with the exception of Tevez, and as a result the game goes to penalties and Germany win... obviously.

As bad a display of management as I've ever seen in terms of one game.

Guest Triglett

I think that having an England team people actually cared about would have made all the difference. Was anyone genuinely heartbroken when we got knocked out? Did anyone really enjoy watching us play?  :undecided:

I predicted both the final and the winners, which was great, until I realised how much money I would have made had I put a bet on it. Errm, other than that? I suppose seeing the African nations doing so well, competing, and actually playing some of the best football on show, was brilliant. Ghana were a complete surprise  :clap:

Guest Knightrider

Agreed, Ireland would be fucked for one.

Not fair if a team has no worthwhile national league that they should be forced to bring lesser players. This would all just play into the hands of the big nations, which goes against what you're saying about trying to stop the superpowers always winning.

Short-term yes, but long-term it may actually force nations to start developing their own game from the bottom up, their leagues and for homegrown players to play their football "at home". The globalisation of the sport is ruining the game for smaller nations whose best players as soon as they show even a modicum of talent are leaving to play in other countries which has a massive and underestimated negative effect on their own footballing culture. The world game is very much like our own Premiership, dominated by the big leagues with all the talent floating at the top, the rest becoming bottom feeders fighting over the scraps.

As a result competition is almost non existent.

The biggest example of this is Scotland, for years their best players have played in England which helped their national team no end, true, however every fabric of Scottish football with every departure slowly but surely loosened, thus wrecking their own competitions to such an extent it has affected player development to the point where the national team manager is checking out the family tree of players like Nigel Quashie whose roots are Ghanaian, just to put a competitive team together.

Competitions like the World Cup were designed so players could represent their country and the game in their country, to promote the game in their own country, over the years that has changed however. Most of the French football team are not representing their own game, but ones in England, Spain, Italy etc. for example.

Perhaps forcing such a policy would be the wrong way to go... OK, make it a voluntary option then and reward those that sign up with funding to help the game in THEIR OWN country, to improve facilities and such.

The game is in danger of falling in on itself as the foundations are very weak and the global sport has a duty to first protect the interests of every nation and not itself, or rather the bigger nations, and that isn't happening. The result. Go to any country outside of the big leagues and the standard of football is appalling.

The Dutch who produce fantastic players are going to become the next Scotland, mark my words. Years of losing their better players will catch up with them and bite them on the arse big time, regardless of how successful they are at producing players.

Ironically all this will impact nations most at international level, as Scotland have found out.

In short in order to protect international interests, you have to first protect domestic ones as the two go hand in hand, if one suffers, so will the other.

Nations like Africa will never fulfil their potential because all their best players will leave to play outside of Africa. Short term their national teams will do well because their players are learning a new game and using that experience to good effect, but they aren't taking it back home with them for the next generation so ultimately their national teams will suffer.

Cameroon showed the way in 90 with their team of unknowns - but have taken a turn for the worse since as all their best players were snapped up by clubs from the big nations. It has happened to Nigeria too and will happen to the likes of Ghana, Ivory Coast et al.

Guest Knightrider

The Ivory Coast was one of the highlights of the tournament for me... playing constant attacking football.

Enjoy it while it lasts then.