Two possible front sixes?

STM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If someone came in with his 11m for his release clause i would not be gutted, looking at this thread. He is the only one that would fuck up an effective 433 for us. Because we all know of course that Micheal Owen HAS to play.

Worth a shot Sam trying to make it work, rather than just giving up straight away. It could go one way or the other. It could go mightily tits up or it could go stupendously well. The weekly fees make it the gamble that it is, however we've been paying him that to do FUCK all for the last two years, so we might aswell.

When it's a world class striker like Michael Owen, i think it's worth a gamble.

Haha, N'Zogbias more of a midfielder TBF.

I was on about Anelka. Dunno if Parky's reading the thread, but when he does, that'll be his train of thought so i just got the ball rolling.

;)

Guest Triglett

Some of these formations, along with their use of certain players, look really weak/lightweight to me. I'd be inclined to stick with a 4-4-2. You can't have too many creative and attack minded players, especially when you haven't exactly got a solid defense to work with either - and all this talk about converting Dyer to a fullback... :buck2:

Some of these formations, along with their use of certain players, look really weak/lightweight to me. I'd be inclined to stick with a 4-4-2. You can't have too many creative and attack minded players, especially when you haven't exactly got a solid defense to work with either - and all this talk about converting Dyer to a fullback... :buck2:

Heard Jarosik would be honoured to join your boys. Thank God for you lot, you were short on centre-mids.

I would be disappointed in the club if we went and signed another striker for big money without securing some much needed defenders first.

Yep. As it stand we have 4 strikers (as long as viduka comes in) 2 right wingers, 2 left (1 injured) 4 central mid, 3 keepers and one defender in Taylor.

Carr & babyaaro do not count as footballers, Edgar & Hunty need to be loaned out and Ramage is purely backup.

I would be disappointed in the club if we went and signed another striker for big money without securing some much needed defenders first.

Yep. As it stand we have 4 strikers (as long as viduka comes in) 2 right wingers, 2 left (1 injured) 4 central mid, 3 keepers and one defender in Taylor.

Carr & babyaaro do not count as footballers, Edgar & Hunty need to be loaned out and Ramage is purely backup.

Exactly! The only difference i would add to that is that i would now count Nobby as a legitimate right back. Although we should be signing one.

Guest gggg

Well going on my formation Butt and Emre arent attacking, Barton would be a the attacking midfielder with Emre playing his proper position as he played at Milan and Duff and Milner will track back.

If it comes down to brass tacks, Allardyce will pick Owen over Martins every time. If one leaves this summer then there won't be problem but if Owen is fit - he'll start virtually every game. Martins will have to either like it or lump it.

Exactly! The only difference i would add to that is that i would now count Nobby as a legitimate right back. Although we should be signing one.

For me Nobby at RB was a joke, not on his part, just on the fact we had a fit player in Carr who was worse in his own position than a lightweight aging winger.

Nobby will be made mincemeat out of next season in that position imo, extreme backup, i'd rather put Ramage in there than him. How on earth we got away with playing Nobby at RB i do not know, but this club is crazy not to sign a £5m+ RB along with a £5m LB in the coming months.

Well going on my formation Butt and Emre arent attacking, Barton would be a the attacking midfielder with Emre playing his proper position as he played at Milan and Duff and Milner will track back.

Just to reaffirm what your saying about Emre. This is one of the main reasons why i would choose 433, we could see a different player.

Aye, that's how the three-man midfield should work. Atleast i think that this is the forumula. Feel free to correct me if i've missed the mark.

One man sitting back, protecting the defense without the ball, spreading the play without the ball. (Butt)

One man roaming around, ball-winning and generally just getting stuck in. (Emre)

One man as the penetrative driving force and supplying the central attacker. (Barton)

Which is another reason for why i don't think N'Zogbia is someone who should be one of the central men, because he's far too lightweight for any of those things, and generally just shit down the middle anyway.

For me Nobby at RB was a joke, not on his part, just on the fact we had a fit player in Carr who was worse in his own position than a lightweight aging winger.

Nobby will be made mincemeat out of next season in that position imo, extreme backup, i'd rather put Ramage in there than him. How on earth we got away with playing Nobby at RB i do not know, but this club is crazy not to sign a £5m+ RB along with a £5m LB in the coming months.

Someone comfotable like Luke Young or Geremi would please me. Both players that would cost very little and would do a good job.

in terms of a 4-4-2, butt and barton don't fit together, not enough class on the ball or creativity, barton and emre don't fit, not enough defensive ability/discipline. up front, viduka and owen is not perfect, would be one of the least mobile pairings in the league with both players lacking pace and unable to use the flanks. owen needs a mobile second striker to do his running for him, viduka seems more ideal for a livewire like martins. so im leaning towards a 4-3-3, probably with owen being the odd man out.

as it stands, i don't think there's too many obvious line ups or formations based on the players we have + viduka and barton. the two signings just don't fit in with our current squad, so far, so i hope there's plenty more signings to come, building towards a clear and obvious system.

Aye, that's how the three-man midfield should work. Atleast i think that this is the forumula. Feel free to correct me if i've missed the mark.

One man sitting back, protecting the defense without the ball, spreading the play without the ball. (Butt)

One man roaming around, ball-winning and generally just getting stuck in. (Emre)

One man as the penetrative driving force and supplying the central attacker. (Barton)

Which is another reason for why i don't think N'Zogbia is someone who should be one of the central men, because he's far too lightweight for any of those things, and generally just s*** down the middle anyway.

Definatley on the same wavelength. Hats off to Mourinhos chelsea side, we should mimic what they did.

Makelele, Tiago and Lampard

Makelele, Essien and Lampard

Nobby will be made mincemeat out of next season in that position imo, extreme backup, i'd rather put Ramage in there than him. How on earth we got away with playing Nobby at RB i do not know,

Sorry mate, forgive me for this, but that's absolute toss. :lol:

Nobby did well at right-back because he is an experienced and organised defender, who sorted out the defense when it was constantly all over the place. He had a calm head and didn't panic when facing his goal in his first third. He's certainly not pacey anymore but he is effective at roaming forward and playing from deep, and with Nobby playing back there - viewing the whole pitch - you're just about guaranteed atleast one cutting pass a game.

Fucking Ramage man? Come on. :lol:

EDIT: Don't disagree about bringing in another right-sided player, though. Personal preference would be Geremi. We're short of a back-up right winger, and we're short of a back-up right-back. Geremi is both of those, and he'd probably rival either of them. Doubt we'd have to break the bank for him either.

Someone comfotable like Luke Young or Geremi would please me. Both players that would cost very little and would do a good job.

I was a fan of Young until i saw the Liverpool game, and i dont think i've seen a worse performance from a player. But since he's picked up form again, but if we were to get Young, Carr must go, and we must be also looking to bring in another RB, maybe someone younger with potential, maybe that bloke from France?

Good fullbacks are really fuking hard to come across, and can make a team for me, they open up and close down attacks when working well.

Its a position we've neglected for far too long, most if not all of our defensive problems stem from shit players out wide allowing the centre back to deal with too much continuous pressure.

If we go for Baines for £5m, we need someone to match him, price, age, style & quality, then forget about those positions for the next few years.

Nobby will be made mincemeat out of next season in that position imo, extreme backup, i'd rather put Ramage in there than him. How on earth we got away with playing Nobby at RB i do not know,

Nobby did well at right-back because he is an experienced and organised defender, who sorted out the defense when it was constantly all over the place. He had a calm head and didn't panic when facing his goal in his first third. He's certainly not pacey anymore but he is effective at roaming forward and playing from deep, and with Nobby playing back there - viewing the whole pitch - you're just about guaranteed atleast one cutting pass a game.

Nobby is not a defender, and if we play him there next season were fuked.

We got away with it as it was a novelty, manager couldn't judge it and his experience held him together, but there were times where he was exposed for not being the real deal.

in terms of a 4-4-2, butt and barton don't fit together, not enough class on the ball or creativity, barton and emre don't fit, not enough defensive ability/discipline. up front, viduka and owen is not perfect, would be one of the least mobile pairings in the league with both players lacking pace and unable to use the flanks. owen needs a mobile second striker to do his running for him, viduka seems more ideal for a livewire like martins. so im leaning towards a 4-3-3, probably with owen being the odd man out.

as it stands, i don't think there's too many obvious line ups or formations based on the players we have + viduka and barton. the two signings just don't fit in with our current squad, so far, so i hope there's plenty more signings to come, building towards a clear and obvious system.

Cannot say i agree about Viduka and Owen. I think they are almost text book.

Big and talent back to the goal striker linking up with midfield and flicking balls on to the other striker.

Quick off the mark predator in front of goal, who plays of the shoulder of the defender.

Sounds pretty decent to me.

We got away with it as it was a novelty, manager couldn't judge it and his experience held him together, but there were times where he was exposed for not being the real deal.

Well he sure as hell ain't a winger anymore, and if that's the case then we may aswell peddle him cos he's no use in an advanced position - he ain't got the legs. Nobby was a very competent and assured right-back, i'm surprised anyone can argue with that tbh. The performance at home to Arsenal stuck out for me. Superb display.

Well he sure as hell ain't a winger anymore, and if that's the case then we may aswell peddle him cos he's no use in an advanced position - he ain't got the legs. Nobby was a very competent and assured right-back, i'm surprised anyone can argue with that tbh. The performance at home to Arsenal stuck out for me. Superb display.

If we could get money for him i'd sell him, as it is we wont and he does as good backup all down the right handside.

I dont see him as an asset to the club, and wasn't as impressed as everyone else with his performances overall at RB. They were better than Carr, but thats a low limit to pass and i think everyone judges him on it.