Club Captain

Guest DavB93
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surpise really that so many went for Butt, still doubt where his heart really lies and don't want him a guaranteed spot in midfield. I'd go for Solano or possibly our new CB (provided he has the stature of a captain)

There are two leadership/motivational/organisational players in our first team, and they're Butt and Nobby. And, Alpal, if we were to go with the 4-5-1 - who would you play instead of Butt in that defensive posittion?

Guest johnson293

Surpise really that so many went for Butt, still doubt where his heart really lies and don't want him a guaranteed spot in midfield. I'd go for Solano or possibly our new CB (provided he has the stature of a captain)

I think the fact that he was one of the first to speak about the possibility of Allardyce signing (very positively), and then speak out about the dressing room, showed his commitment to the club for the forseeable future.

If he (Butt) still wanted away, he could have just kept his mouth shut about both issues, a bit like our 'current' club captain did.

Arguably, you could say he only knuckled down after Birmingham went down, and he was forced to return when no-one else came in - but it showed massive character to get stuck in like he did last season, and turn round many supporters percepetions of him, and attitude towards him.

Guest teepee

i my oppinion we dont really have a good candidate - and that is a big problem.

taylor is one for the future

given is the keeper, and in my oppinion the keeper should only be captain in certain situations (people like schmeichel are the exception)

butt - just nok captain material imo, decent hardworking player, but not the one i'd want leading my team out

oh, how i miss shearer

Guest BigTrev

could we not do like some other clubs and let the sqaud and staff pick the captain on a week to week basis depending on training and whos in the team this way no one can think i will be in the team what ever as i am captain

Guest philinho

Give it to Barton. He's going to be our Keane/Vieira type and its a fresh start for the new look, new thinking toon.

Probably Butt, and if it is the case then I would like to see Taylor as vice-captain. I know he's young and a bit rash at times but he is a future captain and I would like the managment to show him that he has a big future at this club.

Would have went for Shay but I don't like keppers being captains, also not sure if Nobby will always get his game under Sam.

Do you lot think its right to give the captaincy to a new signing? Usually i would say no, but considering that half of our line up next seasons is probably gonna be a new look team then i think it might be possible. Out of the players currently at the club now i would say only Given and Owen are absolutely 100% to start next season in the line up and i wouldn't give the captaincy to either of them.

Guest LeoStett

Last season i would have given it to solano but seeing as he's only on a one year deal and could be away next season or a bit part player I wouldnt now

Butt / Taylor for me

i think you lot make too much of what a captain does.

A good captain doesn't just wear the armband though. A good captain should be inspirational and be able to keep his head up and lift the rest of the team when things are going bad.

sinse we need a leader I really cant see shay being given the arm band you cant exactly lead from the box taylor or possibly one of the new signings sinse we are replacing half the squad would be a good shout really.

Butt & Solano are the candidates imo. Butt is in the Gary Speed mould, he showed real character last season, and he takes responsibility. When things were going tits up last season he was one of the few he was demanding the ball and trying to make something happen, and should his quality. Solano is black & white through and through, has been such a brilliant servant, consistantly giving us quality over something like 8 years. Again he was one of the few to try and take games by the scruff of the neck last season and proved how good he is at RB. He does lead aswell, not only with his play, but you see him talking on the pitch giving out instructions. It would be superb to see Solano leading us out, only justice imo.

i think you lot make too much of what a captain does.

A good captain doesn't just wear the armband though. A good captain should be inspirational and be able to keep his head up and lift the rest of the team when things are going bad.

and do it wether or not he is captain.

tony adams when playing for england,led,organised,inspired without the need for an armband.

Guest graemeh72

I think that Butt isn't vocal enough, he's quite quiet on the pitch.

Barton could fucking stab the tea lady next week or batter a taxi driver or something - can't give it to him

Given is the obvious choice, but being a Keeper works against him.

Taylor is a captain in the making

Owen is Deputy England captain - so may get it - problem being that he's a cunt and hearts not in it

Given as captain, Owen as vice captain

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

Hmm was he not capt at Citeh and he still acted the ballb*g? Dont think he'll give it to Barton, I'd love it to go to Nobby or Given!!

I'm thinking Solano-Butt.

I don't want to see it handed to a player with the expectation that he'll play every day-- the way it was with Parker. Hope Allardyce isn't afraid to drop his captain from the line up.

I think that we'll bring some decent players.... and I don't want to see Solano and Butt play every day. Hopefully, we'll acquire a LB.

Hmm was he not capt at Citeh and he still acted the ballb*g? Dont think he'll give it to Barton, I'd love it to go to Nobby or Given!!

Never for any length of time according to Speccy.