Worried about spending silly

Dave

More important I think is worrying about the players desire to play for us rather than their costv (which should still be kept within reason obviously).

For example If Berbatov says he is desperate to join us this summer and he insists he must be allowed to do so and Tottenham are forced to put a fair valuation on him, let's say £18 million, then yeah we ought to consider it.

However, if Berbatov is happy to stay at Tottenham and we feel we must get him at all costs; and so we offer Tottenham £40 million and then give Berbatov £150,000 a week just to make it happen, then that would be awful!

I didn't mean to belittle any forum members' opinions on transfers and spending, btw.

Unlike some I suppose.

Fair enough Dave, because someone on here says 'fuck it we're loaded lets go for him' we should be worried about how the club is run.

Aye.

I didn't say that.

"Already I see people on the forum saying 'who cares what he's on, we're loaded!' and 'we should buy player X for £xsquillion, we've loads of money!'. Fees and wages are still important regardless of the backing the club has, and I want us to do business in a sensible manner."

I took that as the basis for your worry.

I didn't mean to belittle any forum members' opinions on transfers and spending, btw.

Unlike some I suppose.

Fair enough Dave, because someone on here says 'fuck it we're loaded lets go for him' we should be worried about how the club is run.

Aye.

I didn't say that.

"Already I see people on the forum saying 'who cares what he's on, we're loaded!' and 'we should buy player X for £xsquillion, we've loads of money!'. Fees and wages are still important regardless of the backing the club has, and I want us to do business in a sensible manner."

It wasn't, hence the rest of the post and my further comments in the thread.

Unlike some I suppose.

Aye.

I didn't say that.

It wasn't, hence the rest of the post and my further comments in the thread.

So what is the basis for you worry then? The activity of West Ham?

The point is we've traditionally spent lots of money and got nowhere.

Now we potentially have loads more money available I hope we continue with the plan Allardyce was brought in to work on, which is prudent spending.

Irrational no doubt, but i'm merely expressing a concern.

Chez bloody hell it's not spelled out but it should be simple enough to deduce. 

Allardyce was brought in, pre-takeover, for a lot of reasons but high up there was his prudent spending.  This would have seemed to signal an end to our high spending days. 

But uh oh, here comes Mike "Moneybags" Ashley.  Dave expresses concern that we will return to our overspending ways. 

Incorrectly so in my eyes as Allardyce won't be swayed by it and doesn't seem the trophy signing type in my opinion.

The point is we've traditionally spent lots of money and got nowhere.

Now we potentially have loads more money available I hope we continue with the plan Allardyce was brought in to work on, which is prudent spending.

Irrational no doubt, but i'm merely expressing a concern.

I feel your concern Dave, but let me assure you there is nothing to fear but fear itself.  :razz:

Perhaps the cliché 'too good to be true' is at the front of my mind.

....we all get out turn in the sun mate...Just enjoy it and go with it. Ashers is no fool.

I take your point however and it is a valid one for discussion.

Allardyce was brought in, pre-takeover, for a lot of reasons but high up there was his prudent spending.  This would have seemed to signal an end to our high spending days. 

But uh oh, here comes Mike "Moneybags" Ashley.  Dave expresses concern that we will return to our overspending ways. 

Incorrectly so in my eyes as Allardyce won't be swayed by it and doesn't seem the trophy signing type in my opinion.

Riiiiight. So you agree not a shred of evidence to back this up apart from the signings of Souness and Robson which of course is not relevant to the workings of Allardyce?

So in terms of actual evidence relevant to the current administation there is absolutely nothing to suggest this a concern?

I think its you that missed the point tbh.

Riiiiight. So you agree not a shred of evidence to back this up apart from the signings of Souness and Robson which of course is not relevant to the workings of Allardyce?

So in terms of actual evidence relevant to the current administation there is absolutely nothing to suggest this a concern?

I think its you that missed the point tbh.

The way I look at it is that Allardyce is still in the business of building a solid foundation which is his nature. The extra cash just means one or two luxuries we might not have considered before.

Guest Gemmill

Eh? The premise of this is that because the kids are getting carried away this will somehow translate itself into the club's decision making.

No it wont.

Exactly. It's also that moment when someone wins the lottery and then realises the fear that comes with the joy.

Sounds to me like Dave's the type that would win the lottery and buy himself a new power drill and bank the rest tbh.  Typical Yorkshireman. :lol: ;)

Eh? The premise of this is that because the kids are getting carried away this will somehow translate itself into the club's decision making.

No it wont.

Exactly. It's also that moment when someone wins the lottery and then realises the fear that comes with the joy.

Sounds to me like Dave's the type that would win the lottery and buy himself a new power drill and bank the rest tbh.  Typical QS. :lol: ;)

FYP. ;)

Come on though, how many times has this club let us all down? I'm just cynical as fuck about this new dawn. :lol:

Tbf, I think most of us aren't serious when we say that sort of things. We know that we've had a recent history of terrible buys, and we should know that even though money is available, we shouldn't spend for the sake of it.

No it wont.

Sounds to me like Dave's the type that would win the lottery and buy himself a new power drill and bank the rest tbh.  Typical QS. :lol: ;)

FYP. ;)

Come on though, how many times has this club let us all down? I'm just cynical as fuck about this new dawn. :lol:

We havent actually signed anyone yet. :lol:

Guest DavB93

No it wont.

FYP. ;)

Dave, You shouldn't by cynical you should be excited. Looks like everything is fallen into place and eventually we could be turning the corner and finally we might bring some silverware to the club.....

:horse:

No it wont.

FYP. ;)

Not been taken over yet. :razz:

No it wont.

FYP. ;)

Not been taken over yet. :razz:

Well, i'm more confident of that than anything else at the minute.

Guest Gemmill

No it wont.

FYP. ;)

However you look at it, things are improving.  We've got a proper manager in, we're going to be de-listed, we've removed Shepherd's influence from the club, and we have more money to spend.  The nature of football these days almost demands that you have to pay over the odds, so let's just be thankful that we can compete in that sort of market.  Ashley's not about to bankrupt himself or the club.

Chill, Winston. ;)

I would like to think that our recent history would work in Sam's favour. We've went for the big name players (Kluivert, Viana (European young footballer of the year), Luque etc), but for whatever reasons they were not the right players for us.

Now I don't know if it was down to managerial inadequacies (Roeder, Souness) or a players attitude (Kluivert) or just that the player cannot settle for whatever reasons, but I would like to think that Sam is clever enough to use our recent history and not go for the big name just because we have the money. After all it doesn't matter if we've got Ronaldihnio or Kaka or whoever because, if they are not giving their all for the team then we will have a better chance with a team of Championship players, who at least will give you 100% every game.

Now of course i'm not saying for one second that we should go out and get a bunch of lower league players, but you know what I mean.

What evidence is there that this should be a concern?

Leeds

:lol:

I presume that was a joke.

Just get out of this thread Chez they'll just knacker you out.

Guest Gemmill

I reckon your concern will evaporate at the first signs of success.  Man United are a massive global brand with money to burn.  Pretty much everyone else needs benefactors.