Should we be thinking South American?

Skirge

Seeing as we all seem to agree we need a creative midfielder should we not think about lookign at clubs like San Lorenzo, River Plate and Boca Juniors??

These clubs breed creativity, even look at them for a left winger, with Duff out for a while and Zoggy unsettled.

Guest gggg

Well hiring some scouts would be a start....

Ones that can tell the difference between a Messi and a Bassedas

Guest elbee909

Howay then Skirge oh fountain of knowledge how many players have you heard of, or have made such a huge impact from San Lorenzo?

José Luis Chilavert (1985~1987)

Fabricio Coloccini (2001)

Iván Córdoba (1998~2000)

:)

Howay then Skirge oh fountain of knowledge how many players have you heard of, or have made such a huge impact from San Lorenzo?

Aint watched much, show their games at stupid o'clock over here, but then again I am not a talent scout, but San Lorenzo are top at the moment, not the best at the back but they score plenty of goals...

Guest elbee909

we should be braodening our horizons and the South Americans are the most creative players in the world.

The most obvious concern is one of acclimatisation.  Not just the weather, obviously; there's more than one reason why many South Americans move to the Italian, Spanish and Portuguese leagues initially rather than here.  Nobby is more of the exception than the rule.

Saying that, I do think Allardyce likes to place particular emphasis on helping players form different cultures acclimatise.  None of this 'Diego is a Geordie' nonsense either, but getting translators in early as possible, and introducing players to networks of ex-pats with similar origins, everything to help ease the transition into English (and Northern!) culture.

If we can make everything as easy as possible to help those from South America come here then we'd surely reap some reward.

Guest elbee909

The only decent player we've had from S. America has been Solano. The likes of Bassesdas, Gavilan, Cordone, etc. have been pap.

So I guess getting the likes of Messi and Kaka to come here before they go to Italy and/or Spain holds no appeal?  The fault's more with us for going for pap.

And yeah, was going to mention the Robledos as well as Acuna, of whom it's a cliché to say he was underrated, but he was.

The only decent player we've had from S. America has been Solano. The likes of Bassesdas, Gavilan, Cordone, etc. have been pap.

I think there's 3 Chileans who might have something to say about that. ;)

3?

So I guess getting the likes of Messi and Kaka to come here before they go to Italy and/or Spain holds no appeal?  The fault's more with us for going for pap.

There are obviously good players, but in the past we've seemed to have suffered from buying a foreign player and expecting him to deliver because he's Argentinian. I'm not sure we have the scouts to really make confortable, safe moves in the S. American market at the minute. I wouldn't trust Lee bloody Clark's opinion for starters.

Guest elbee909

There are obviously good players, but in the past we've seemed to have suffered from buying a foreign player and expecting him to deliver because he's Argentinian. I'm not sure we have the scouts to really make confortable, safe moves in the S. American market at the minute. I wouldn't trust Lee bloody Clark's opinion for starters.

Have to travelled in time from three months ago? :)  Things, I hope, will be different now.  Maybe not immediately but certainly in time.

I'm sure the scouting network won't comprise of Lee Clark and chums, anyway.

Taking players directly from S America to England will always be a risk due to the different technical aspects of the game. Here, in SA, the game is generally slower and less physical when compared to the premiership. I have not been impressed with Boca this year, but perhaps this is compounded by the inclusion of Riquelme who has been an absolute waste of space, although Roberto Palacio has caught my eye a few times (winger who can player either side). River Plate again have not been at their best this season, though i am a big fan of their stricker Farias. I have only watched San Lorenzo a coupple of times, and they do look good going forward, although they are not a team I really follow.

Here in Peru we are going through a dearth of talent in the National leagues. The quality is poor. I am very surprised that Farfan though has not been touted for the premiership as I think that he has all the requisites to succeed (power, pace, great upperbody strength, and a good mentality too), although Pizarro appears to be the one moving on (there were newspaper articles here a few months ago stating that Bayern were not renewing his contract due to his inappropriate lifestyle - drink).

Have to travelled in time from three months ago? :)  Things, I hope, will be different now.  Maybe not immediately but certainly in time.

In the future, maybe, but right now, no. I'm not that convinced that Big Sam has an army of scouts working over in Argentina. In fact, I'm sure he hasn't.

but they weren't even considered good when we got them, solano was but the rest weren't

What? So we deliberately bought bad players? I assume SBR thought they were good players.

Guest elbee909

In the future, maybe, but right now, no. I'm not that convinced that Big Sam has an army of scouts working over in Argentina. In fact, I'm sure he hasn't.

"I have an army of scouts working over in Argentina." - Sam Allardyce

;)