Spurs bid for Darren Bent

geordie2000

Guest elbee909

I don't see Bent as a special player. He seems to rely alot on his physcial power as apposed to striker instinct. The likes of RVN, Shearer, Owen, Fowler all had a special eye for goal. For me this lad just doesn't have that, therefore is not worth 16m IMO.

What, so he just bundles the ball in? Strength is an asset, but that alone won't get you goals.

To me, the fact that he has no outstanding other qualities (isn't technically brilliant, isn't an absolute speed demon, and he's not creative either) and looking at his goalscoring record, suggests to me that he is more of a natural striker whose main forte is simply scoring goals. Strength is an asset, but that alone doesn't get you goals.

----

Gutted about Ledley. I fear it'll be a stop-start career for him now, which is such a shame for him, Spurs and even England. Yet another reason why we can't afford to let a quality defender like Chimbonda go. Our back 4 could be another shambles next season.

Personally I'm happy about Ledley being permacrocked, in the way you're happy about Owen not starting games.  Hahaha tbh.

I get the impression that Jol doesn't like Defoe, or has difficulty in working with him. He may see Bent as a more useful addition to his squad.

Bent is a good all-rounder, but not top class in any respect, and like everyone else I'm baffled at the price.

I don't think MJ dislikes Defoe but playing him limits tactical options, he's not the team player that Keane is, JD can only play well with Berbatov.  It's the lack of options that MJ dislikes.

I'm not baffled at the price, it's Egghead paying way over the top to try to avoid a repeat of last season's near miss (courtesy of nil points deduction).  Spurs have made their final offer, £12.5m + 1 player nearly out of contract + 1 player on a seasons long loan.  It's now up to Bent and Charlton.  If Bent says I'm not going to Upton Park (which is what his agent is saying) will Charlton accept the Spurs bid?  If not, will Bent take the risk of winding u in the Championship?  I think Bent will eventually go to the Bingo Club in exactly the same way (as others have mentioned before) that Owen made his way to Newcastle, not by choice but by sufferance.

Ledley's knees once again show that signing Younes Kaboul (although not yet announced) and actively chasing Curtis Davies also is a sensible decision.  Whether Spurs actually sign Davies is still in the lap of the Gods.

I get the impression that Jol doesn't like Defoe, or has difficulty in working with him. He may see Bent as a more useful addition to his squad.

Bent is a good all-rounder, but not top class in any respect, and like everyone else I'm baffled at the price.

I don't think MJ dislikes Defoe but playing him limits tactical options, he's not the team player that Keane is, JD can only play well with Berbatov.  It's the lack of options that MJ dislikes.

I'm not baffled at the price, it's Egghead paying way over the top to try to avoid a repeat of last season's near miss (courtesy of nil points deduction).  Spurs have made their final offer, £12.5m + 1 player nearly out of contract + 1 player on a seasons long loan.  It's now up to Bent and Charlton.  If Bent says I'm not going to Upton Park (which is what his agent is saying) will Charlton accept the Spurs bid?  If not, will Bent take the risk of winding u in the Championship?  I think Bent will eventually go to the Bingo Club in exactly the same way (as others have mentioned before) that Owen made his way to Newcastle, not by choice but by sufferance.

Ledley's knees once again show that signing Younes Kaboul (although not yet announced) and actively chasing Curtis Davies also is a sensible decision.  Whether Spurs actually sign Davies is still in the lap of the Gods.

"although not yet announced"

Your ITK bollocks cracks me up every time.

Guest Triglett

Rodhaminho, you reckon that people will look back at Ashton in 10 years time and think he's a great? I don't think he's the instinctive, natural goalscorer that you were talking about earlier, and I can't see a lot to get excited about. He's probably the same age as Bent, and certainly isn't as proven, although perhaps for the reasons already mentioned...but then again, there's little basis for those claims, just like you couldn't categorically say that Bent can't sustain his goalscoring record.

TBH though, I don't recall Ashton being that hyped up. But I remember when people were convinced Defoe was going to be special...although I do think he is a talent and that there aren't many strikers like him around, it hasn't really turned out that way. And what about the phenomenon that was Cherno Samba?  :lol:

elbee909, I actually think the Owen situation is pretty tragic. Such a tremendous waste of talent - he was simply brilliant in his prime, and I think he probably would have gone on to established himself as one of the true greats of this generation.

"although not yet announced"

Your ITK bollocks cracks me up every time.

It ain't been announced but that don't mean to say it hasn't happened.  I said this on 1st May, probably being announced on 1st July.  You've only got a bit over a fortnight to wait. :razz:

Guest BillyRay Valentine

rooney and maybe little mickey apart, english strikers currently scratching around the league are toss.

bent, defoe, crouch, don't make me laugh. these are £6-8mil players at best, yet theres an endless stream of cretins willing to pay double that for these chancers - its balls i tell you, balls

Those three players you've mentioned have scored 16, 18 and 17 goals respectively this season. Owen hasn't even played that many games these past couple of seasons  :lol:

very true, yet they remain average players who are consistenly found out at the highest level

I bet it's Routledge.

I bet it's Routledge.

Don't think Routledge would agree to go to a championship club on loan.

Rodhaminho, you reckon that people will look back at Ashton in 10 years time and think he's a great? I don't think he's the instinctive, natural goalscorer that you were talking about earlier, and I can't see a lot to get excited about. He's probably the same age as Bent, and certainly isn't as proven, although perhaps for the reasons already mentioned...but then again, there's little basis for those claims, just like you couldn't categorically say that Bent can't sustain his goalscoring record.

TBH though, I don't recall Ashton being that hyped up. But I remember when people were convinced Defoe was going to be special...although I do think he is a talent and that there aren't many strikers like him around, it hasn't really turned out that way. And what about the phenomenon that was Cherno Samba?  :lol:

elbee909, I actually think the Owen situation is pretty tragic. Such a tremendous waste of talent - he was simply brilliant in his prime, and I think he probably would have gone on to established himself as one of the true greats of this generation.

Ah, you see thats where i believe your wrong. Ashton has more than just physical presence. From what i've seen it's his intelligence that gets him into the position to score goals, his physcial presense is needed to execute the chance.

Having his West Spam medical at 19:00 hours. Would have loved him at spurs.

tbh I would have expected FFS to make a 20 million bid last min as its what the "fans deserve" if he was still in charge and feeling flush

Nice. Will be a good buy for Spurs.

Certainly bring them something different to what they have.

To be fair for the ludicrous money they got for Carrick, they can feel justified on blowing it on someone that will be alot more use to them.

Guest Triglett

I just hope it isn't because of reported late interest from Liverpool...I think it's pretty certain Spurs is his first choice though.

I think the fact that we haven't got Hayden Mullins to offer as part of any deal has to work in our favour TBH.

Guest Triglett

Keano and Berbs are one of the best partnerships around. No way he'll split them up if he can help it. Jol's clearly very keen on rotation though, so I'm wondering if he has plans for a Bent and Defoe partnership, which would be quite dangerous if it worked out. Defoe's reportedly been offered a new contract, so it seems as if the Bent signing isn't dependent on Defoe going...still, 4 strikers of that quality is unmanageable IMO, and having Berbatov unnecessarily on the bench is just criminal.

Keano and Berbs are one of the best partnerships around. No way he'll split them up if he can help it. Jol's clearly very keen on rotation though, so I'm wondering if he has plans for a Bent and Defoe partnership, which would be quite dangerous if it worked out. Defoe's reportedly been offered a new contract, so it seems as if the Bent signing isn't dependent on Defoe going...still, 4 strikers of that quality is unmanageable IMO, and having Berbatov unnecessarily on the bench is just criminal.

£12m+ on a player to rotate? Don't be silly.

Jol might not want to split up Keane and Berbatov...but Alex Ferguson might.

2+2=...?

With the number of matches we hope to be playing in the coming season, having Berba on the bench in quite a few games will be a necessity.  But first things first. Spurs still have to put in a bid which is ok to Charlton, our 'absolute maximum' bid isn't enough and Charlton are talking about how great it will be to have Bent next season getting them back into the Premiership.  There will be an almighty game of chicken to be played and Bent has taken the biggest gamble of all.

Jol might not want to split up Keane and Berbatov...but Alex Ferguson might.

2+2=...?

That won't happen.  Whether he wants Defoe might get a different answer but Keane and Berbatov being split?  Nah, not a chance imho.