Martins has a clause as well!!!

KaKa

Guest Adam_Harrison9

haha this made my day, how stupid are newcastle when it comes to the transfer market? seriously.

IMO there's nothing wrong with the amount mentioned.  I'd be happy enough with £13 million for Martins.  But while we may be happy to sell Martins in early July for £13 million, we certainly wouldn't agree to sell the week the transfer window closes...  This clause means its out of our hands, a club could come in 2 days before the window and leave us £13 million richer but a striker short, with no time to replace him.  Same goes for Owen, and that's the real problem here.

I agree with something that was said earlier.  We should sit them both down and offer them a new contract, same money but without the clauses.  If they refuse to sign assume they're gone and buy replacements, leave the fuckers as third and fourth choice for the season...  We simply cannot risk being put in a situation where our season is ruined by these two players..

Guest Toon83

This new piece of news just shows how inept glenn roeder and freddie shepherd were as a team. Why would you buy strikers of their ability and then put clauses in the contracts which mean you could and probably will in Owen's case loose them for less than you paid.

No wonder Allardyce isnt happy about the clauses, it would have never happened if he was in charge during the signings of Owen and Oba

Guest johnson293

haha this made my day, how stupid is Freddy Shepherd when it comes to the transfer market? seriously.

There you go, I've fixed it for you...

Exactly - lets hope that is the transfer dealing of Newcastle past, and that sort of mismanagement, and handing out of rediculous contracts with even dafter release clauses has ended now that we have a decent manager, and an owner with a bit more business sense.

This new piece of news just shows how inept glenn roeder and freddie shepherd were as a team. Why would you buy strikers of their ability and then put clauses in the contracts which mean you could and probably will in Owen's case loose them for less than you paid.

No wonder Allardyce isnt happy about the clauses, it would have never happened if he was in charge during the signings of Owen and Oba

Not so sure about that given Souness' latest comments on top of the accusations Bobby made. Seems like the managers really did just give Shepherd a list and then some players come through, they knew nothing about the terms.

Guest optimistic nit

its stupid to think these clauses were wanted by freddy shepheard. more like both of these strikers refused to come in, unless these clauses were put in. One of FS's main reasons for signing these two, was to appease us, the fans, so as long as we don't find out, he's won. if he then has to sell, then he can spin some PR about him being our hero, and the player being the mean baddy who twisted his arm.

I'm sure however, that with martins, if shepheard had any vision for the future, and had tried, he could have taken out the clause. with owen its just bad business.

Would not surprise me if West Ham are going to bid for Oba..

Are you worried? I'm not. The clauses are there incase a bigboy is interested, West Ham and Man City can bid for Owen and Martins all they want IMO. They'll be pissing into the wind.

Are you worried? I'm not. The clauses are there incase a bigboy is interested, West Ham and Man City can bid for Owen and Martins all they want IMO. They'll be pissing into the wind.

In Owen's case yes. If Martins is offered a big pay rise to move south where lots of his buddies probably live, who's to say?

In Owen's case yes. If Martins is offered a big pay rise to move south where lots of his buddies probably live, who's to say?

Owen isn't going to move to West Ham or Man City, not in a million years. He wants a move to a CL club. Same goes for Martins i think, if he was to leave he would want a step up probably to a club in Italy, also he seems alot more committed than Owen.