Martins has a clause as well!!!

KaKa

Was there not quotes from Oba saying he has asked Sam not to cash in on him and keep him at the club? If a club meets the get out fee then Sam doe s not have a choice but to sell, strange thing to be asking your manager to do if you know you  have a get out clause in your contract.

Also I suppose it would depend on Martins wanting to leave, just because the fee is met does not mean he has to leave.

£13m is top money, he's never worth that and you never know when he's going to go AWOL or get shot.

We could get Anelka and still have £5m spare with that money.

or is it the "he's not good enough" not worth it?

This. He's just not worth £13m, he wasn't worth what we paid for him £10m for a reserve player with hardly the greatest goalscoring record in the world?

Darren Bent will get you 18 goals in the league but I'd value him at about £8m, Bellamy isn't worth what he's going for and neither is kuyt worth what liverpool paid for him. I'd say Anelka's value is a fair price.

Guest Stephen927

As has been said a few times, we really need to sort this out straight away before a club meets the release clause fee towards the end of the window, which wouldn't surprise me if clubs begin to panick when they havent signed their targets.

£13m is top money, he's never worth that and you never know when he's going to go AWOL or get shot.

We could get Anelka and still have £5m spare with that money.

This. He's just not worth £13m, he wasn't worth what we paid for him £10m for a reserve player with hardly the greatest goalscoring record in the world?

Darren Bent will get you 18 goals in the league but I'd value him at about £8m, Bellamy isn't worth what he's going for and neither is kuyt worth what liverpool paid for him. I'd say Anelka's value is a fair price.

so you're just dreaming up what a players worth, totally out of market context then...

correct me if i'm wrong but anelka is 6 years older than martins and martins outscored him in league when anelka was playing in a champions league chasing team?

i'm not even gonna look it up to check but i know for a fact if anelka outscored him it wasn't by much

i just don't understand where/how you're setting your prices...darren bent will get 18 goals in the league, well martins got what, 11? in a better team who can actually attack he'll probably increase that amount, as would bent of course

again why are you ignoring market forces - forlan 15m (martins more suited to the league, proven), mido 4-6m (a fat joke), man u buying two untested players from abroad for 35m, blah blah blah

Guest graemeh72

Looking back at Freddies quotes when we signed Owen, its looks as if the entire team has clauses ...

"I have heard a little rumour that Michael has a clause in his contract which states he can leave Newcastle United in one year's time," he said.

"I can tell you now that he hasn't. Of course Michael has clauses in his contract.

"In this day and age, all top players do - Alan Shearer does. But that is not one of them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4200808.stm

Anelka has more ability and will score whatever team he's in and he's rated at £8m, apart from being younger (and Anelka has a few years left in him ) I don't see what Martins has over him.

Bent gets 18 goals a season in a worse team than us and Martins got 11, Bent's value is £12m at most to everyone but West Ham and only Spurs are taking a chance on him.

Martins is probably slightly above Anelka but I don't know where you get £13m from.

We should offer him a new deal.

I also think we should offer Owen a new deal, make him put his cards on the table.

Why should we offer Martins a new deal? Or better: Why should Martins sign a new deal? He will only sign one if we offer him better terms (especially in return for deleting the clause). I don't know on what wages Martins is, but I don't think it is a good idea to improve his contract - regardless of what you think about his performances so far. The increase in wages wouldn't balance out the release clause as I don't think anyone would offer more than 13m for Martins anyway. So I can't see how an improved contract would make any sense.

Anelka has more ability and will score whatever team he's in and he's rated at £8m, apart from being younger (and Anelka has a few years left in him ) I don't see what Martins has over him.

Bent gets 18 goals a season in a worse team than us and Martins got 11, Bent's value is £12m at most to everyone but West Ham and only Spurs are taking a chance on him.

Martins is probably slightly above Anelka but I don't know where you get £13m from.

i didn't value him at 13m, only the release clause did - assuming it's correct

i just take issue with your stance that he's not worth it...for the record both anelka and martins got 11 last season and bent 14

very good record for bent in fairness but i think he takes penalties too?  maybe the same for anelka, or is it speed at bolton?

regardless, if bent is worth 17m, or rather valued at it, i see no reason why martins is overvalued or "not worth" 13m given bent has played in english football all his life whereas martins came from a totally different style of play in italy and can only settle into his game more and improve

it's just fucken sad that people want to see the back of the likes of him it really is

is this the not worth it in the sense of "footballers get paid extravagant wages compared to nurses" not worth it?

'cause if it's the latter then darren 'never played in europe' bent is supposed to be going for 17m, dean ashton cost 7.5m two years ago, craig bellamy is valued at 9-12m, dirk 'average' kuyt cost 9.5m, and even torres at 27m

so perhaps you could maybe explain how martins who is mental fast, 22, very strong, tricky, a good shot in either foot, has european experience and only looks like he'll get better is NOT worth 13m?

yes i'm a fan of the boy and think he got some VERY undue stick for last season when he was surrounded by mostly s**** at all levels of the club - but even if i wasn't i'd have to pull you on that bullshit

Thank you. Finally someone living in the real world that realises getting rid of good strikers is a lot easier than replacing them.

Guest Darth Toon

According to Oliver in the Chron today, Arsenal will be in for him if Henry goes to Barca.

>:(

According to Oliver in the Chron today, Arsenal will be in for him if Henry goes to Barca.

He must be $hit then. What would Wenger know about talent spotting?

What would the Chron know about Arsene Wenger's transfer targets?

Oh and Francis Jeffers

Anyway he's not shit, just not worth £13m.

What would the Chron know about Arsene Wenger's transfer targets?

Oh and Francis Jeffers

Anyway he's not s***, just not worth £13m.

Good. That means he won't get sold then.

to be honest i'd see this as probably the reason to story has made it out anyways, same as the owen to man u link you know?

national press don't want us to have good players when man u or arse could have them instead, so they write a story about them going to one of their favoured clubs in the hope it might end up unsettling them into doing so

simplified version but you see what i mean

besides, wenger probably remembers the runaround martins gave his whole defence on his own at ashburton last season and sees in that lad what a lot of, frankly, unsatisfiable toon fans don't....

the lad was managed by roeder in his first season and look what he did!!  don't people want to see what a real football manager could do with him (at our club)?

More Anal speculation, where does he get his so called "information"? I bet it all comes from reading the papers and watching SSN all day.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=oba-shock%26method=full%26objectid=19334043%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Oba shock

Jun 21 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins has a £13m get-out clause in his contract at St James' Park. That's the shock news that Sam Allardyce was left to digest today.

For Allardyce now knows that his top two strikers Martins and Michael Owen have buy-out clauses, and as a result could be on the move before the start of the season.

Owen can leave St James' Park if any club pays £9m for his services, and there has been no indication from the England striker that he wants to stay.

But at least Martins said at the weekend after playing for Nigeria that he is happy to stay with United after scoring 17 goals in his first season in a black-and-white shirt.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is quite a fan of Martins, and he could lose Andrei Shevchenko before the start of the season.

And Arsene Wenger is a big admirer of both Martins and Owen, and he made no bones about this when the Gunners played out that goalless draw with United at St James' Park on Easter Monday.

Indeed, when United were at the Emirates Stadium in November, Wenger waxed lyrical about Martins in his programme notes.

Wenger cannot be sure that he will have his inspirational striker and skipper Thierry Henry with him at Arsenal next season.

And the word I am hearing from north London is that if Henry goes to Spain or Italy, Wenger would probably try and lure Martins to the Emirates.

That's because Martins is five years younger than Owen and has something the little England striker does not have - searing pace.

The £13m get-out clause will be a shock to United fans - just as it was a shock to Allardyce.

My information is that when Martins sacked his Italian agent halfway through last season and moved to Jonathan Barnett's Stellar group, United tried to rescind the buy-out clause.

That's because at the time the Nigerian international was scoring fantastic goals for United and was worth a lot more than the £10m Glenn Roeder paid to Inter Milan for him 12 months ago.

Roeder was on record midway through the season as saying he thought Martins was worth double the £10m he cost.

But the only way United could have changed Martins' buy-out clause was to tear up his £60,000-a-week five-year contract and give him a new one, but this did not happen.

Since then, Martins only scored in one of United's last 10 games, went AWOL at Watford, had a fall-out with Nigerian boss Berti Vogts and survived what he believes was an assassination attempt on him in his home town of Lagos at the weekend.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=oba-shock%26method=full%26objectid=19334043%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Oba shock

Jun 21 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins has a £13m get-out clause in his contract at St James' Park. That's the shock news that Sam Allardyce was left to digest today.

For Allardyce now knows that his top two strikers Martins and Michael Owen have buy-out clauses, and as a result could be on the move before the start of the season.

Owen can leave St James' Park if any club pays £9m for his services, and there has been no indication from the England striker that he wants to stay.

But at least Martins said at the weekend after playing for Nigeria that he is happy to stay with United after scoring 17 goals in his first season in a black-and-white shirt.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is quite a fan of Martins, and he could lose Andrei Shevchenko before the start of the season.

And Arsene Wenger is a big admirer of both Martins and Owen, and he made no bones about this when the Gunners played out that goalless draw with United at St James' Park on Easter Monday.

Indeed, when United were at the Emirates Stadium in November, Wenger waxed lyrical about Martins in his programme notes.

Wenger cannot be sure that he will have his inspirational striker and skipper Thierry Henry with him at Arsenal next season.

And the word I am hearing from north London is that if Henry goes to Spain or Italy, Wenger would probably try and lure Martins to the Emirates.

That's because Martins is five years younger than Owen and has something the little England striker does not have - searing pace.

The £13m get-out clause will be a shock to United fans - just as it was a shock to Allardyce.

My information is that when Martins sacked his Italian agent halfway through last season and moved to Jonathan Barnett's Stellar group, United tried to rescind the buy-out clause.

That's because at the time the Nigerian international was scoring fantastic goals for United and was worth a lot more than the £10m Glenn Roeder paid to Inter Milan for him 12 months ago.

Roeder was on record midway through the season as saying he thought Martins was worth double the £10m he cost.

But the only way United could have changed Martins' buy-out clause was to tear up his £60,000-a-week five-year contract and give him a new one, but this did not happen.

Since then, Martins only scored in one of United's last 10 games, went AWOL at Watford, had a fall-out with Nigerian boss Berti Vogts and survived what he believes was an assassination attempt on him in his home town of Lagos at the weekend.

and the word i hear is you don't know your arse from a bacon and avacado sandwich