Martins has a clause as well!!!

KaKa

I think buy-out clauses are fairly common, aren't they?

The only problem with the Owen one was that the player was unwilling to join us, and the clause was for less than we paid for him - making it likely that it would be invoked, without providing us with the funds for a replacement.

They do seem common but then most clubs put clauses in like £100m etc.. We just seem very fucking stupid!

I think buy-out clauses are fairly common, aren't they?

The only problem with the Owen one was that the player was unwilling to join us, and the clause was for less than we paid for him - making it likely that it would be invoked, without providing us with the funds for a replacement.

They do seem common but then most clubs put clauses in like £100m etc.. We just seem very fucking stupid!

A clause like that is never going to be invoked, and wouldn't be of any use to the player. Except in exceptional cases, I imagine they'd be much lower.

I'm not one to defend Shepherd, but we often have difficulty in luring players who might be more attracted to London or a Mediterranean destination. We may have to be a bit more generous in the signing-on terms. £13 million may be a bit on the low side, but at least we'd make a profit.

Regarding the crazy buy-out clauses (like £50m+), that only happens in La Liga because it's the law. Every contract signed in La Liga has to have a buy-out clause and that's why some players have ridiculous clauses like £89m etc. etc.

Guest teepee

i don't find the clause itself that appalling, though the price may be a tad low. at least it is higher than what we paid for him (as opposed to owen)

what is the problem is that no one has mentioned this to sam before.

i hope to see martins play a great season, these cunts that claim to support nufc to get off his back, and him subsequently commit himself to us on a contract with no clause!

I can't understand why ANY Club would negotiate a get out clause especially one that is for much less than he was pUrchased for. (In Owens case the clause is appalling)

I guess it depends how much you wanted the player at the time. You must have really wanted Michael Owen.

On Martins, I'd get shot asap. Sounds like he has a bit too much dodginess going on in his life, and 13m sounds like very good money. I'd also not be in the least bit surprised if the club hadn't leaked this information to the press to help bring about precisely that.

We won't be selling him anyway so the clause does not matter, but its fkn stupid to keep on adding these things to player contracts. Lets hope with Ashley now here that this fkn crazy shit will stop!!

£13m is top money, he's never worth that and you never know when he's going to go AWOL or get shot.

We could get Anelka and still have £5m spare with that money.

Guest Geordie Gaz

But the clause does matter, that's the point. If someone offers the money, you've got no choice.

If the clause actually exists ;)

If it is true, I still do not see anyone offering that sort of money for him, same with Owen, the clause is fkns tupid but no one is going to offer that for him, not in this trnasfer window anyway..

But the clause does matter, that's the point. If someone offers the money, you've got no choice.

If the clause actually exists ;)

Of course, but the original post said you won't be selling him so "the clause does not matter" which implies the poster was talking as if it did exist. And if it did, it would matter.

if you get my drift ;)

Sorry should have been more clear, I meant the clause did not matter because of the high price it is meant to be, £13mill won't be offerd for Oba, and lets hope if he has a flyer of a season that we offer him a new deal without a clause..

Would explain the interest in Djiouff then. I think there's a very real chance an Italian club might pay £13m. He's young, he's fast, he scores goals with a rocket in either foot. Goalscorers at this level aren't easy to find.

Guest Guinness

Can't believe we've got buy out clauses in our two main strikers contracts. What happens if clubs come in late in the transfer window leaving us practically no time to find replacements just as Real did with Woodgate a few seasons back? I can understand Allardyce's frustration, the uncertainty caused by these clauses can't be doing his planning for next season any good. In all fairness to Oba he's at least come out and said he's happy at the club, doubts still remain over Owen. Hopefully now the club has changed hands we'll see a lot less of this.

£13m is top money, he's never worth that and you never know when he's going to go AWOL or get shot.

We could get Anelka and still have £5m spare with that money.

is this the not worth it in the sense of "footballers get paid extravagant wages compared to nurses" not worth it?

or is it the "he's not good enough" not worth it?

'cause if it's the latter then darren 'never played in europe' bent is supposed to be going for 17m, dean ashton cost 7.5m two years ago, craig bellamy is valued at 9-12m, dirk 'average' kuyt cost 9.5m, and even torres at 27m

so perhaps you could maybe explain how martins who is mental fast, 22, very strong, tricky, a good shot in either foot, has european experience and only looks like he'll get better is NOT worth 13m?

yes i'm a fan of the boy and think he got some VERY undue stick for last season when he was surrounded by mostly shite at all levels of the club - but even if i wasn't i'd have to pull you on that bullshit