Pearce and the U21 job

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, its his level.

SP's main problems were in his transfers, and that was partly to do with Man City not backing him properly, he doesn't have that problem with the u21's.

Basic solids tactics and great motivation is what's required at that level, and i think he's more than capable.

Better than some of the previous.

Er, NO.

He is a shite manager. FACT. I don't care how much he got the team to huff and puff, thats a job for a cheerleader, not a manager. Simple fact is we won 1 game in the tournament - against a team that made 9 changes - we threw 2 others away by trying to protect a lead for 60 minutes. Thats not how I want our national team to learn how to play. I imagine anyone who watched the games has some idea why City scored so few goals last season...because Pearce is an overly negative cretin!  :tickedoff:

No from me. We played shite boring football last night, and our only asset was effort really. Similar to if Scotty Parker was an entire team - admirable but uninspiring, unexciting and just not good enough.

Er, NO.

He is a s**** manager. FACT. I don't care how much he got the team to huff and puff, thats a job for a cheerleader, not a manager. Simple fact is we won 1 game in the tournament - against a team that made 9 changes - we threw 2 others away by trying to protect a lead for 60 minutes. Thats not how I want our national team to learn how to play. I imagine anyone who watched the games has some idea why City scored so few goals last season...because Pearce is an overly negative cretin!  :tickedoff:

Pretty much how I see it.

We will never progress as a footballing nation if we continue to put blood and guts over technique and tactics.................get a foreign coach in.

Pearce in January....

I WAS asked the question, 'Would I be interested in the job?' and I said 'yes'. Then I was asked if I thought the timings would get in the way of my job at City and the answer was 'no'. And finally I asked myself, 'Would there be benefits for City and the answer was 'definitely'."

Pearce in June....

"There is no doubt, in my eyes it's definitely a full-time job,"

Pearce in January....

I WAS asked the question, 'Would I be interested in the job?' and I said 'yes'. Then I was asked if I thought the timings would get in the way of my job at City and the answer was 'no'. And finally I asked myself, 'Would there be benefits for City and the answer was 'definitely'."

Pearce in June....

"There is no doubt, in my eyes it's definitely a full-time job,"

Aye, I noticed him saying that recently :lol:

Guest nufc16

if you look at performances since he took over, they've definitely dropped since taylor left. the game against holland had nothing to do with pearce, just the kind of performance england sometimes can produce. nothing to do with tactics coaching etc. we were still shit for most of the game before extra time.

we were poor in all the other games aswell.

Guest LucaAltieri

Er, NO.

He is a s**** manager. FACT. I don't care how much he got the team to huff and puff, thats a job for a cheerleader, not a manager. Simple fact is we won 1 game in the tournament - against a team that made 9 changes - we threw 2 others away by trying to protect a lead for 60 minutes. Thats not how I want our national team to learn how to play. I imagine anyone who watched the games has some idea why City scored so few goals last season...because Pearce is an overly negative cretin!  :tickedoff:

Pretty much how I see it.

We will never progress as a footballing nation if we continue to put blood and guts over technique and tactics.................get a foreign coach in.

Bollocks. The senior side has been trying to do that for years. Doesn't work. WC game against Portugal, who was our best player? Hargreaves by a country mile. Blood and guts > technique where England is concerned.

Besdies, coaching tactics is something that needs to be done week-in week-out (club level) and there isn't time when preparing for an international game.

In international tournaments you're taking every game as it comes, its more important to have a motivator who can get a team to rise to the occasion. That may not be Pearce, but its exactly the type of manager the team needs in my opinion.

Guest Triglett

No, I'm not impressed. On the whole we were pretty poor, playing some negative football which betrayed the obvious talent that he currently has at his disposal - for a squad that could comfortably finish in the top 8 of the Premiership, they did themselves no justice out there. When we did occasionally play some decent stuff, we quickly lost momentum and Pearce never came up with the answers. Maybe he'd make a great coach, but he just doesn't cut it as a manager...and that IS important. The U21s should remain competitive, but that isn't really what it's all about IMO. There has to be a certain amount of grooming and development...perhaps he did ok in short term intensive role, but I just can't see him being the man who's able to help these youngsters take it to another level and make that transition into the senior side. Strong, spirited performances are fine up to a point. What's it actually achieving though?