O'Brien gone

Mowen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/6237262.stm

Hibernian have signed Newcastle winger Alan O'Brien on a three-year contract after he agreed personal terms on Monday.

The Republic of Ireland international will join the Clydesdale Bank Premier League club on 1 July, after his contract at St James' Park expires.

Hibs and Newcastle have yet to agree a compensation fee for the 22-year-old.

Hibs manager John Collins said: "He is an exciting young player and one that I am sure our fans will appreciate."

Collins told Hibernian's official website: "We are delighted to have signed Alan on a three-year contract at Hibernian.

"He has had the best possible grounding at Newcastle United and while his first-team experience has so far been limited, his quality is without question.

"I think that is underlined by his appearances for the Republic of Ireland.

"A few other clubs were naturally drawn to him as his current contract at Newcastle was coming to an end.

"But Alan has chosen Hibernian to progress his career knowing that this club continues to provide the best possible platform for a young player to learn and enjoy the game.

"Alan is a wide player and very, very quick. He knows already the way we like to play the game and we expect that he will see a great deal of the ball."

O'Brien made nine first-team appearances in six seasons on Tyneside and also spent a month on loan at Carlisle.

The Dubliner made his international debut against Holland in August 2006 and has won a total of five caps.

And he will join the Easter Road squad in time to travel with them to Austria on Sunday for their week-long pre-season training camp.

O'Brien is already looking forward to renewing his working relationship with former Newcastle coach Tommy Craig, who is assistant manager at Easter Road.

O'Brien told Hibernian's official website: "Any player who has worked under Tommy will tell you that their football education has benefited greatly from his influence and guidance.

"He is an excellent coach and I'm certainly looking forward to working with him again, but there is also the opportunity to work with John Collins.

"As a player John has pretty much seen and done it all, and as a manager he has already made a great impact at Hibernian.

"Everybody in the game is I think aware of what has been happening at Hibernian over the last few years.

"The quality of young player coming through the ranks into first-team football is exceptional.

"I have enjoyed my time at Newcastle United immensely but I believe that with Hibernian I can progress both at club and international level."

O'Brien is Hibernian's third summer signing, joining former Newcastle United team-mate Brian Kerr, who signed from Motherwell, and striker Clayton Donaldson, who joins the Edinburgh side this week from York City.

---------------------------------

Thought he might turn into something decent a few years ago, guess he still might but not here. Fast as fuck, by all accounts.

Suppose it was never going to happen for him. He'll probably do alright up there.

Now for Pattison; someone who, i have no idea how, managed to make it into the first team over other reserves. The reserves set-up must be pretty poor!

Hope he does well, loads of ex toon players up there doing fantastic IIRC.

Two questions that got nothing to do with this thread.

What does IIRC stand for and what does ITK stand for?

I know ITK is some sort of a internal source giving news on chat board, my best guess is Internal Transfer Knowledge????

Hope he does well, loads of ex toon players up there doing fantastic IIRC.

Two questions that got nothing to do with this thread.

What does IIRC stand for and what does ITK stand for?

I know ITK is some sort of a internal source giving news on chat board, my best guess is Internal Transfer Knowledge????

Welcome to the forums  :thup: