Wenger reportedly wants Oba for 13 million according to Sun.

madras

In what ways though? If he had a good first touch, good movement, etc. I'd agree, but he lacked the basics.

Yes. Instead of hitting left foot/right foot screamers into the net, jumping to flash the ball with his head for goal, racing clear with blistering pace, chesting the ball down to hit the ball first time on the half-volley,...

he should have laid the ball safely back to Carr to swing a high cross towards the goal...

Haha, spot on. Can't believe you muppets want to see the back of him........WTF!

You're talking about the 17 things he's done right. He's done 100s of things wrong.

Cos we can afford to do without those 17 things he did right?

Of course we needed him last season because there was no one else. There are a number of other strikers who can get 11-12 league goals a season and not give the ball back to oppo 75% of the time.

I keep going back to it, but surely Martins would have learned a lot about movement from working with all of those great strikers at Inter. Do you really think that one day when he's 25 or 26, it's just going to click?

How, when he's not playing with them/often enough in general? Plus - other strikers are hardly coaches, are they? ??? He'll have picked up stuff, i'll bet that he was a better player leaving Inter than when he first joined them. :rolleyes:

Allardyce turned Diouf and Davies, two fairly shite Premiership players, into either very good or generally very effective ones - cos they talent was there. He even got an enigmatic Anelka playing excellently week-in, week-out. The same goes for Martins, but you can multiply the hidden talent/potential significantly.

Wiltord the Second tbh.

Wiltord was a good player, played well when they won the league and gave us a bloody torrid time up here in a few games. He wasnt Henry or indeed Pires or Bergkamp but he did a good job for them tbh. Overpriced but thats never bothered us has it?

A 21 year old's first season in a totally strange country in an underperforming team scoring 17 goals whilst leading the line on his own upfront with minimal help. Shame on him. Really, fucking shame on him.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Now we have a fully-fit Owen & Viduka, then yes.

From the way Owen's played since he's been back from injury I wouldn't get my hope's up about him this season.

You mean the way vs Reading he was the only good player for our team on the pitch?

Alex:

In what ways though? If he had a good first touch, good movement, etc. I'd agree, but he lacked the basics.

His touch is s***, i won't deny that. But the guy's got talent - he scored 17 goals in his debut season for a s*** English team. Something that is mega different to anything he's ever played in before. He was effectively playing a more offensive position than normal, cos he was the only striker we had. Yet he still put a decent shift in.

Movement can be worked on, and that was my major gripe with him, or it was last season as he was a centre-forward, but he was unlike one and was static. But it can be worked on with good teaching. Teaching a striker to move is hardly something that can't be done. And when he establishes causing the defense trouble with running without the ball, he'll come on in leaps and bounds, cos only a miniscule percentage of Premiership defenders can even catch teh b******. Sorting his touch out is down to him, though.

We know that it's there, it just needs to be utilised. A good team/good staff will help that. And our staff, at the very least, will be 100% better this season than what it was last.

I keep going back to it, but surely Martins would have learned a lot about movement from working with all of those great strikers at Inter. Do you really think that one day when he's 25 or 26, it's just going to click?

It already did. Last season if you failed to notice.

From the way Owen's played since he's been back from injury I wouldn't get my hope's up about him this season.

You mean the way vs Reading he was the only good player for our team on the pitch?

He had a few chances in the first 10 minutes, went missing the rest of the game.

Alex:

His touch is s***, i won't deny that. But the guy's got talent - he scored 17 goals in his debut season for a s*** English team. Something that is mega different to anything he's ever played in before. He was effectively playing a more offensive position than normal, cos he was the only striker we had. Yet he still put a decent shift in.

Movement can be worked on, and that was my major gripe with him, or it was last season as he was a centre-forward, but he was unlike one and was static. But it can be worked on with good teaching. Teaching a striker to move is hardly something that can't be done. And when he establishes causing the defense trouble with running without the ball, he'll come on in leaps and bounds, cos only a miniscule percentage of Premiership defenders can even catch teh b******. Sorting his touch out is down to him, though.

We know that it's there, it just needs to be utilised. A good team/good staff will help that. And our staff, at the very least, will be 100% better this season than what it was last.

Movement is pretty instinctive imo, it can be improved yes but his is awful and he's been playing in the most tactical league in the world before now so if you think he's got potential in that sense, you might as well argue any young striker with poor movement has imo. He's got something about him, i.e. the ability to do the extradinary but, imo, his basics are so lacking that he'll always be inconsistent. Anyway, as Dave says this has been done to death and it's all about opinions, eh? :thup:

i'm in the sell him camp but..............his movement aint helped by who he's played up front with...how much movement do you want from a forward playing upfront on his own an?d getting high long balls

Alex:

His touch is shit, i won't deny that. But the guy's got talent - he scored 17 goals in his debut season for a shit English team. Something that is mega different to anything he's ever played in before. He was effectively playing a more offensive position than normal, cos he was the only striker we had. Yet he still put a decent shift in.

Movement can be worked on, and that was my major gripe with him, or it was last season as he was a centre-forward, but he was unlike one and was static. But it can be worked on with good teaching. Teaching a striker to move is hardly something that can't be done. And when he establishes causing the defense trouble with running without the ball, he'll come on in leaps and bounds, cos only a miniscule percentage of Premiership defenders can even catch teh bastard. Sorting his touch out is down to him, though.

Movement is pretty instinctive imo, it can be improved yes but his is awful and he's been playing in the most tactical league in the world before now so if you think he's got potential in that sense, you might as well argue any young striker with poor movement has imo. He's got something about him, i.e. the ability to do the extradinary but, imo, his basics are so lacking that he'll always be inconsistent. Anyway, as Dave says this has been done to death and it's all about opinions, eh? :thup:

Fair enough, if that's what you think then i can't really argue with you mate. I think movement can be taught, you don't. Besides, as a sort of coutner-argument, there was a few goals last season where movement in the box was key. Header vs Levadia, Header vs Watford, round-keeper vs Liverpool, 1st and 2nd against Alkmaar to name a few. Still, i'd definitely agree that his movement isn't good. But like i say, i think it can be taught, you don't.

Would love to see the product of a Martins/Shearer football love-in.

Alex:

Are you serious here?

Martins knows how to do the business for us up front now. Hes proved he can survive in this league and do so much for the team.

Name some other strikers who will get us 17 goals that we can realistically get?

We have our top trio of forwards right now, we are ready for the new season in that department, why risk it all?

Alex:

If that was him clicking we should definitely take the money :razz:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

He had a few chances in the first 10 minutes, went missing the rest of the game.

he was running into our half winning the ball back because our team was so shit. You expect him to do it all by himself? I don't think much of your judgement anyway given your views on Milner.

:lol: Jesus Christ. Was that sarcasm?

If Martins has a 13m sell on clause, it doesn't matter whether we think he deserves to stay or go........he'll be off to Arsenal if he wants to leave us.

Personally I'm indifferent.  People seem to talk about 2 different strikers - one lazy with poor movement who drifts out of games, the other a pacey cold eyed killer who can turn matches at a stroke.  This being Newcastle I know which we'll end up with if he stays.

tbh 13m for someone in his early thirties and approaching the twilight of his career is pretty good.  His pace'll go soon then his legs.  Anyone who honestly believes he's 22, just have a look at his old man's face.... ;)

he was running into our half winning the ball back because our team was so s***. You expect him to do it all by himself? I don't think much of your judgement anyway given your views on Milner.

People said the same about my judgement when I said Scott Parker was shite earlier in the season too. :)

Hahaha, the sad thing is hes dead serious

Baggio, if what you said about Owen wasn't sarcasm, then you need to take a look at yourself mate. I think you're a top poster, arguably the most intelligent on here, but that comment is utter, utter shit.

He looks like a player who's lost a yard of pace in the games for us and England, he won't be back to his best.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

People berated me for saying Ramage was shit; "he tries!" "he's a gordyyY!" "he's quite good, better than Bramble" Err yeah, get a fucking clue while I shoot you to death you FUCKING MORONS!

Guest Verlaine

I'd rip their f****** arms off.

This. Could get Baines and Gudjohnsen for that price.

Assuming either wanted to come.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

. I think you're a top poster, arguably the most intelligent on here,

fuck me. I hope THAT is sarcasm :lol:

Yes. Instead of hitting left foot/right foot screamers into the net, jumping to flash the ball with his head for goal, racing clear with blistering pace, chesting the ball down to hit the ball first time on the half-volley,...

he should have laid the ball safely back to Carr to swing a high cross towards the goal...

Haha, spot on. Can't believe you muppets want to see the back of him........WTF!

You're talking about the 17 things he's done right. He's done 100s of things wrong.

Cos we can afford to do without those 17 things he did right?

Of course we needed him last season because there was no one else. There are a number of other strikers who can get 11-12 league goals a season and not give the ball back to oppo 75% of the time.

Such as? Hope youre right. I cant think of many right now who have the potential to succeed and score 11-12 league goals in a shit side. If they are lining up to come here and are a vast improvement then fair enough but I'm fairly certain the other clubs loaded with cash may be after them as well. There are a few clubs with cash in their pockets too. Goalscorers arent easy to find and sometimes I do think people on this forum play FM too often. Not saying you do but its irritating that people don't see the bigger picture. If we take 13m for him would you spend 17m on Darren Bent? I'd have Bent here and he is steadier than Martens. Doesnt have that raw potential though. Can't see Darren Bent getting any better. I can see Martens doing it.

Like I say, if the replacement is waiting outside SJP then fair enough. With the Michael Owen situation it would be foolish. We may not have a choice, of course.

He looks like a player who's lost a yard of pace in the games for us and England, he won't be back to his best.

Agree that he probably won't be the Michael Owen of old again, but he hadn't played a football match for something like 15 months before he came back. Jesus Wept.