Wenger reportedly wants Oba for 13 million according to Sun.

madras

Some actors get $15m a movie...

If an employer can afford the best, they'll shell out for the best. 

Exactly, because top films with top actors get the biggest Box Office amounts, so the actors deserve everything they get from that. Same with football now.

Guest Dr. Pongle

They have inflated wages, because clubs are paid inflated fees by the TV companies because they want these stars on their TV channels. If a club is given £40m a season or whatever, then that club has to accept that a large chunk of that goes to it's players.

Simple really.

if your short sighted enough to think that trend will never end. players are not innocent bystanders here

So would you rather see average players playing average football in England's top flight again then?

The only time I'd accept that is if football stops becoming a business and tickets are back to 25p.

Never going to happen though.

Guest Invicta_Toon

They have inflated wages, because clubs are paid inflated fees by the TV companies because they want these stars on their TV channels. If a club is given £40m a season or whatever, then that club has to accept that a large chunk of that goes to it's players.

Simple really.

if your short sighted enough to think that trend will never end. players are not innocent bystanders here

So would you rather see average players playing average football in England's top flight again then?

if it meant a return to sensible ticket prices, I could care less if Ronaldo et al fucked off to Europe to roll around on the floor and spit roast whores while on coke, fuck em. So called 'average football' seemed to serve Nottingham Forest and Liverpool well before Sky

Simple really.

if it meant a return to sensible ticket prices, I could care less if Ronaldo et al f***** off to Europe to roll around on the floor and spit roast whores while on coke, f*** em. So called 'average football' seemed to serve Nottingham Forest and Liverpool well before Sky

So why not pop along to Darlington or Hartlepool then. No fancy-dan foreigners, cheaper tickets, and you can marvel at the football all you like.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Simple really.

if it meant a return to sensible ticket prices, I could care less if Ronaldo et al f***** off to Europe to roll around on the floor and spit roast whores while on coke, f*** em. So called 'average football' seemed to serve Nottingham Forest and Liverpool well before Sky

So why not pop along to Darlington or Hartlepool then. No fancy-dan foreigners, cheaper tickets, and you can marvel at the football all you like.

because they're not my club

Aye Pongle, just made the point above.

End of the day it comes down to the fans being willing to pay £30+ for match tickets and £40+ per month for Sky. The money snowballs and players/agents want their cut, rightly or wrongly.

Perhaps it would have been nice if this Sky contract thing had not happened, forcing clubs to rethink wages. But would they have simply added costs to what we already pay?

The solution is simple.

Cap wages.

Easy way round that though. Offer basic salary but include huge bonuses for league placing/goals/assists etc.

Good idea but it would be exploited imo.

Huge bonuses that would have to be actually earnt though, which would be far more palatable for me.

Me too.  :thup:

Just pointing out how the big, successful clubs would bend the salary cap rules if they were put in force. Success would be a fair probability so the player knows he'd earn a fortune in bonuses.

There's always a loophole which will mean the best players sign for the best teams. 

Simple really.

What about QPR?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Simple really.

What about QPR?

miles away

Put yourself in a footballer's shoes, Vic.

If you were a top-class footballer and knew that the club you played for received obscene amounts of money from companies, mainly because you're going to be used as a means of entertainment, as well as have a big-brand's name across your chest who use you as an advertising hoarding in order to make themselves millions of pounds more, would you settle for 4 or 5 grand a week?

Guest Invicta_Toon

If you were a top-class footballer and knew that the club you played for received obscene amounts of money from companies, mainly because you're going to be used as a means of entertainment, as well as have a big-brand's name across your chest who use you as an advertising hoarding in order to make themselves millions of pounds more, would you settle for 4 or 5 grand a week?

I wouldn't mind 5 grand a week tbh. You make it sound like they're being exploited FFS, something very wrong if you think footballers are actually owed anything above a wage like anybody else, accepting of course the limited career length

Haway man Vic, some of the players earn their employers millions through prize money/ sponsorship and merchandise. It's only right they're paid the going rate relative to  the money they bring into the club.

PS. If you found out someone was getting paid 3 times as much as you were for doing exactly the same job as you in the same city, how would you react? 

Guest Gemmill

PS. If you found out someone was getting paid 3 times as much as you were for doing exactly the same job as you in the same city, how would you react?  

He'd pack in work and go back to university. :cheesy:

Gooners seem very much a club in trouble, and when Fabrigas leaves for Real they are going to be well fecked. :lol:

I just do not see Martins going anywhere and I very very very much doubt that Wenger would pay £13mill for him anyway..

Gooners seem very much a club in trouble, and when Fabrigas leaves for Real they are going to be well fecked. :lol:

I just do not see Martins going anywhere and I very very very much doubt that Wenger would pay £13mill for him anyway..

I'm not convinced that Wenger has £13m to spend.  Annual interest on the debt is more than that.

I wouldn't mind 5 grand a week tbh. You make it sound like they're being exploited FFS, something very wrong if you think footballers are actually owed anything above a wage like anybody else, accepting of course the limited career length

Football is an entertainment industry now. And if you were earning a club tens of millions in prize money, sponsorship money, TV money, etc. you'd be entitled to more than £250k a year.

I'm not convinced that Wenger has £13m to spend.  Annual interest on the debt is more than that.

Very true, they have also blown best part of the Henry money, I would not be shocked to see Wenger leave too, I did think Fabrigas may join Barca but it looks like only Real are interested, Fabrigas is a life long Barca fan though..

If Martins wants £100kpw then its goodbye from me, and good riddance.

£13m, at least we made some money, were losing out on a at times fantastic player, but there's a lot of hard work to be done with him, and if he's trying to take us over a barrel, its time to move him on and find someone better.

If he goes for £13m, we should spend £25m to replace him, show our intent that we actually want better than him. Its a shame to lose him, the future is bright as long as he really is 22 ;) I'm sure Wenger can release that talent as well.

The story went he wanted £60,000 per week, its utter shite from the press again lads!!

It might be. Claiming to know it's not true definitely is though.

The story went he wanted £60,000 per week, its utter s**** from the press again lads!!

This is the latest piece of crap about it all...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23403701-details/Wenger+lands+%C2%A37.5m+Bakari+and+Martins+is+next+on+wanted+list/article.do

If that's what he wants then he should be given it to remove the clause.

I've just read a story he wants to match Owen's £100k wages ???

If Martins wants 60k/w I say we give it to him and remove the clause from the contract

SSN saying that Martins would want £60 grand a week off the Gooners if he moved, BUT they did get that from The Sun..

Guest teepee

i think this story is spinning out of control - and i hope he stays with us!

would like to see the clause removed though....

They would, yes. And look at how sh*t English football was from the mid 80s to early 90s when that was the case.

(I'm not talking about caps here but the money clubs received)

Don't think it helped that English clubs were banned from playing in Europe in exactly the years you're talking about.

Though I agree with your general point. What has happened to football is just pure capitalism. If you have something which is in high demand you're going to get rich, and Premier League football is in higher demand than it was 10 years ago, there are now people watching and buying shirts from every corner of the planet, the marketting potential of players has soared. They know what they're worth, and if you don't pay them their cut they'll find someone else who will.

If Martins wants 60k/w I say we give it to him and remove the clause from the contract

SSN saying that Martins would want £60 grand a week off the Gooners if he moved, BUT they did get that from The Sun..

Hope it's bollocks, I really really want him to stay