Allardyce and Shepherd in Barca

Ally

Don't understand. You've already got two strikers better than Gudjohnssen, and both of them are way way better than Alan Smith. Release clauses or no release clauses, I'd like to think SA tried to hold on to them.

PS I haven't read the whole thread, so apols if I am missing something.

You're right tbh. Martins isn't as good yet, but he will be.

If it's Owen that's going - then it's good business. Gudjohnsen for Martins isn't wise imo; cos where Gudjohnsen's only got a couple years left at his best, Martins is yet to achieve it. But we're not going into that again.

You shouldn't compare Martins and Gudjohnsen though. Both totally different types of players. Gudjohnsen will be able to play at the top for years yet because he's such a clever player. He's easily got another 5 seasons in him as a top player.

Don't understand. You've already got two strikers better than Gudjohnssen, and both of them are way way better than Alan Smith. Release clauses or no release clauses, I'd like to think SA tried to hold on to them.

If it's Owen that's going - then it's good business. Gudjohnsen for Martins isn't wise imo; cos where Gudjohnsen's only got a couple years left at his best, Martins is yet to achieve it. But we're not going into that again.

Other way around I reckon. If Owen stays, you know you're guaranteed goals so you could just about sit and bare watching Smith doing the donkey work without actually producing much (shades of the Heskey-Owen partnership perhaps?), whereas if Owen goes and Smith partners Martins, we have to pray for this miracle improvement in finishing from Martins, and I can't see it being a great deal better than the Sibi-Martins partnership from last season.

Is there any conformation that Sam and Freddie have gone to Barcelona?

I find it incredible that Fred would fly anywhere so soon after a punctured lung.

Not that Shepherd.

which shepherd then?

http://oneyearbibleimages.com/jesus_shepherd.jpg

Aye I think we'd need his help to land Eidur.

sheep ?

You shouldn't compare Martins and Gudjohnsen though. Both totally different types of players. Gudjohnsen will be able to play at the top for years yet because he's such a clever player. He's easily got another 5 seasons in him as a top player.

Aye i know that... they're different players and i was gonna point it out... but what i meant was Martins will be just as good at what he does, as Gudjohnsen is at what he does. If you see what i'm trying to say.

Other way around I reckon. If Owen stays, you know you're guaranteed goals so you could just about sit and bare watching Smith doing the donkey work without actually producing much (shades of the Heskey-Owen partnership perhaps?), whereas if Owen goes and Smith partners Martins, we have to pray for this miracle improvement in finishing from Martins, and I can't see it being a great deal better than the Sibi-Martins partnership from last season.

I'm not bringing Smith into it; i don't think there's an awful lot of meat to that story anyway. I'm only on about Eidur.

Owen out - Martins staying - Gudjohnsen in...

is a better deal than

Martins out - Owen staying - Gudjohnsen in...    imo

You could say that you're guaranteed goals with Owen, but he doesn't want to be here and the chances are that - by the time he's re-grouped himself and has learnt to score consistently again, he'll want out.

Ah right, I thought you meant Smith in for Owen/Martins.

In that case if it's Gudjohnsen, I don't mind which of Owen & Martins goes because I think he'd be equally effective, and do just as well himself, alongside either.

Not a case of whether or not Gudjohnsen will perform, cos like you say, he'll be equally as effective with either. It's the fact that Owen will soon bugger off anyway at some point, and doesn't want to be here (the chances are that the moment he finds his shooting boots, he'll be out the door), plus, he's not going to get any better as a player. Whereas Martins wants to play for us and could potentially a top, top player for us in a couple seasons time. But like i say, we're not going into that again. ;)

I really want both of them to stay, but i think Gudjohnsen and Owen would definitely be best together. I'm not taking anything away from what Oba can be, but Owen is so fucking good at making them runs to perfection, and Gudjohnsen has the ability to pick them out with his eyes closed.

Does Martins really want to stay though? I remember Tevez after keeping West Ham up saying he'd want to stay there. Soon as interest from the bigger clubs came though he's been wanting a move ever since. If Arsenal really do bid for Martins, I can't see him even giving us a second thought tbh.

I really want both of them to stay, but i think Gudjohnsen and Owen would definitely be best together. I'm not taking anything away from what Oba can be, but Owen is so f****** good at making them runs to perfection, and Gudjohnsen has the ability to pick them out with his eyes closed.

Would be Beardsley-Cole all over again.

I really want both of them to stay, but i think Gudjohnsen and Owen would definitely be best together. I'm not taking anything away from what Oba can be, but Owen is so f****** good at making them runs to perfection, and Gudjohnsen has the ability to pick them out with his eyes closed.

Would be Beardsley-Cole all over again.

For about a season, aye.

That's all the Beardsley-Cole one lasted...well another few months anyway, then 6 months later we had Beardsley and someone just as good.

Aye, and in this case, we don't know what would happen. Gudjohnsen/Owen would only be short term, 1 - cos Gudjohnsen is ageing, he's got two years in him at most, and 2 - Owen'll soon be buggering off. Pointless. Which is why i say, i'd rather Owen left for Gudjohnsen, rather than Martins.

Tbh,

Martins, Owen, Gudjohnsen, Viduka, Carroll

... is an absolutely immense line-up, as much as i have faith in Shola. :lol: Plus when you consider we'll be playing with a front three (possibly), and the likes of Milner and N'Zogbia come into the mix.

That's all the Beardsley-Cole one lasted...well another few months anyway, then 6 months later we had Beardsley and someone just as good.

Aye, and in this case, we don't know what would happen. Gudjohnsen/Owen would only be short term, 1 - cos Gudjohnsen is ageing, he's got two years in him at most, and 2 - Owen'll soon be buggering off. Pointless. Which is why i say, i'd rather Owen left for Gudjohnsen, rather than Martins.

How do you work out Gudjohnsen only has two years in him at the most? He's not even 29 until September. He doesn't rely on pace, and his style of game means he can be a top top player for another 5 years probably.

I'd much, much rather have Gudjohnsen than Smith.

Any offer lower than £9m for Owen is bound to be rejected. The 9M figure is a problem as it is, if anyone offers lower (even if they do throw in Smith) they are taking the p*ss.

Besides, these player plus cash swap deals are talked about every summer but they hardly ever happen. The last one I remember is the Andy Cole more than a decade ago, have we done any others since?

I believe it won't be that difficult to resign Martins.

I'm not sure he's a big Arsenal fan, always looks like he wants to hurt them too much for him to want to move there.

Its his only option coming to light right now, and i think there are plenty of reasons why he could possibly stay here, write out his clause, and commit himself to a club going places, whereas Arsenal in just about every single department are totally up in the air. Manger, board, finance & players, all uncertain, is this what he's going to move for? I'd be disappointed if he chose that mess than actually seeing some good times here after toughing it through our big fuking mess.

How do you work out Gudjohnsen only has two years in him at the most? He's not even 29 until September. He doesn't rely on pace, and his style of game means he can be a top top player for another 5 years probably.

2 years at his excellent best, imo.

We just don't know do we. I'm more than happy and dead optimistic either way, and just excited to watch how it all pans out. Sorry to come across all HTT-ish, but i'll leave it all in the capable hands of Sam Allardyce. :D

I've still got a stupid feeling that both will still be here anyway come September.

Thing is I think we are vulnerable to a late bid as I think several clubs (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool plus foreign clubs) have earmarked both players as backup in case they miss their targets. A lot of the speculation at the moment could well be an attempt to sell papers, as journalists put two and two together. Arsenal lose Henry and they're instantly linked with Tevez and Martins.

My gut feeling is we'll lose one and keep the other.

I've still got a stupid feeling that both will still be here anyway come September.

Thing is I think we are vulnerable to a late bid as I think several clubs (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool plus foreign clubs) have earmarked both players as backup in case they miss their targets. A lot of the speculation at the moment could well be an attempt to sell papers, as journalists put two and two together. Arsenal lose Henry and they're instantly linked with Tevez and Martins.

My gut feeling is we'll lose one and keep the other.

This is a very good point, especially since neither will be euro tied, adding more to their worth to bigger clubs.